Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I am in serious trouble!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Are you sure the noise is from the airhandler and not the outside unit.
    The lineset can transmit noise from the outdoor unit.
    Along those same lines though...I think at least one of the copper lines going into the house looks like it was crimped and then sautered (sp?)...think they just reused existing line and is that a problem?

Post Likes
    Mr. Bill was only joking, he was trying to use a little humor to keep you from having
    panic attack, please don't take Mr. Bill wrong.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Yes it will....if it adjusted properly that means that you will be getting the most efficiency you can out of the unit.

That sound could very easily be solved with a blower speed adjustemnt....however, it could be a ductwork issue as well. Since the unit has already been installed, the only way to figure it out is to set the units up properly...by setting CFM and then refrigerant charge. Once this is done properly you will know if it is a ductwork issue.

Can't tell about the sizing because I am not there to analyze it but it sounds ok on paper....it's not the brand....we install and sell Goodman exclusively...they are very good units.
    Thank you thank you thank you! I feel better hearing you say that you sell Goodmans and they are a good brand. I take it you don't normally have complaints about inside noise level?

One final question about effectiveness...my husband says he doesn't want the blower speed reduced because he is convinced the system won't cool as well/quickly with reduced blower speed (I think it's a complex from having a weak old A/C for years). Will it? Why is the higher blower speed provided?

Also, on this model, I assume it does not automatically adjust speed. Why are the other speeds provided?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Mr. Bill was only joking, he was trying to use a little humor to keep you from having
    Oh, I wouldn't ever do that, Mr. Bill! I know you were only trying to protect me from having crushed bones! :-)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    Along those same lines though...I think at least one of the copper lines going into the house looks like it was crimped and then sautered (sp?)...think they just reused existing line and is that a problem?
    Hmmmmm....could be an issue...the 3.5 ton uses a 7/8 lineset. Anyone wanna bet the old lineset was 3/4?
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    You gotta stop hangin out with Twilla .... she's rubbing off on you

Post Likes
    Can you provide us pictures of crimped line?
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Twilli likes to have fun with new members....he's harmless....if he makes fun of you it means he likes you.

almost right it realy means he want a picture

slowing the blower will remove more humidity but imo should not be less then 80 percent then the rated cfms needed

if to much can cause ice problem and flood back on the compressor this is why IBM is right the refrigerant needs to be checked.

it is also important do have the proper static pressure at the needed cfm and slowing the blower to compensate is a bandade not a proper fix
    pictures pictures and more pictures will tell us a lot about the kind of job you recieved

Post Likes
    You gotta stop hangin out with Twilla .... she's rubbing off on you

Mr. Bill hopes Twilli rubs off on him he need all the good rubbing he can get.

Post Likes
    Can you provide us pictures of crimped line?
    Yep, if you give me a couple of minutes, I'll try.

Post Likes
    Lets not go there right now

Your issue is noise a droning noise, you have to isolate it and see if it air noise or something else.

Sounds like it may be both air and outside unit transmitting noise through the refrigerant lines.

Looked at the same problem last week and it was the outside unit. droning noise is a good description.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    almost right it realy means he want a picture

slowing the blower will remove more humidity but imo should not be less then 80 percent then the rated cfms needed

if to much can cause ice problem and flood back on the compressor this is why IBM is right the refrigerant needs to be checked.

it is also important do have the proper static pressure at the needed cfm and slowing the blower to compensate is a bandade not a proper fix
    pictures pictures and more pictures will tell us a lot about the kind of job you recieved
    Okay, I'm in process. Just racing around trying to find the dad-blamed camera (one time in my life I can't find it).

Post Likes
    Thank you thank you thank you! I feel better hearing you say that you sell Goodmans and they are a good brand. I take it you don't normally have complaints about inside noise level?

One final question about effectiveness...my husband says he doesn't want the blower speed reduced because he is convinced the system won't cool as well/quickly with reduced blower speed (I think it's a complex from having a weak old A/C for years). Will it? Why is the higher blower speed provided?

Also, on this model, I assume it does not automatically adjust speed. Why are the other speeds provided?
    Speeds are selected based on the need of the home. If a load calcualtion is done properly, your cooling needs (BTU's) could be different from your heating needs (BTU's). Therefore, the speeds are should be set up appropriately. Your air handler could actually handle up to a 4 ton unit and down to a 3 ton unit. Thats why it is so important to make sure that the air flow is set up properly before messing with the refrigerant charge.

A slower blower in AC mode will remove more humidity. Which equals comfort.
    A huge rush of air in cooling mode will cool the air around you, but not remove much humidty from the air...which equals crappy comfort levels.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Lets not go there right now

Your issue is noise a droning noise, you have to isolate it and see if it air noise or something else.

Sounds like it may be both air and outside unit transmitting noise through the refrigerant lines.

Looked at the same problem last week and it was the outside unit. droning noise is a good description.
    So how did you resolve it?

PS: Pictures coming.

Post Likes
    Look it's easy to find out if it's air flow related or freon pumping through the lines. Heres what you do go outside and "hopefully" you have a disconnect on your outside condenser well flip that sucker off, if no disconnect well kill the breaker to the outside unit and then go back in and turn on the unit inside to the fan on position on the thermostat and see if you still hear the noise.

Post Likes

Okay, here are the pictures of teh unit/line

Pictures requested.

Post Likes
    Picture # 2, are you kidding me?

Post Likes
    OMG....was that lineset 5/8???

Post Likes
    Wart....was this company the lowest priced??

Post Likes

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in