Thread: Duct Sizing for Whole House Hepa

Post Likes

Duct Sizing for Whole House Hepa

I'm considering having a whole house hepa cleaner installed as a standalone unit (ie, not hooked to HVAC system). One thing I can't figure out is that the unit has 1,000 cfm capability, but the openings on the unit are 10x12 inches. 16 inch flex duct is rated for 1,000 cfm, but it seems like 16 inch flex duct is too big to hook to a 10x12 opening (a 10x12 opening would equate more closely to 12 inch flex duct). Am I missing something? Can 1,000 cfm pass through a 10x12 opening?

Post Likes
    Get a reducing collar, Please post some pics after you complete this masterpiece.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unc99 View Post
    I'm considering having a whole house hepa cleaner installed as a standalone unit (ie, not hooked to HVAC system). One thing I can't figure out is that the unit has 1,000 cfm capability, but the openings on the unit are 10x12 inches. 16 inch flex duct is rated for 1,000 cfm, but it seems like 16 inch flex duct is too big to hook to a 10x12 opening (a 10x12 opening would equate more closely to 12 inch flex duct). Am I missing something? Can 1,000 cfm pass through a 10x12 opening?
    Sure at 1,200 fpm and you will hear it. A 16" felx is the same as a 14" round duct for friction loss at 1000 CFM and has a more reasonable velocity of around 936 fpm and not as loud. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in