+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Gauge Manifolds

Post Likes

Hmm Digital Gauge Manifolds

I have several sets of the old Dial gauge manifolds, and a set of the SMAN3's.
    I just stumbled onto these browsing. Anyone ever use these or hear of these manifolds?
    http://hilmor.com/products/family/electronic-toolsName:  Electronic_Family_Primary_735x480-735x480-735x480.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  23.2 KB

They look good. Just curious how well they perform and if they live up to their claims.
    Here is a pic of the dial gauges also, incase someone has one of these. Name:  4-valve_Aluminum_Manifold_Primary_735x480-735x480.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  19.7 KB

Post Likes
    I am looking at these a bit closer. I gotta say I like the dual Dial gauge and digital readout.

Post Likes
    Says it has a cleanable vacuum sensor also. "Sweet"!
    Self-calibrating gauges provide 1% accuracy every time the gauges are turned on.
    Outer gauge faces change color to coordinate with the selected refrigerant. - See more at: http://hilmor.com/products/electroni....yzkxXFig.dpuf

I'm going to look seriously at this tool.

Post Likes
    There are a couple threads about them here.

Most of the other digitals have .5% accuracy, 1% is no better than the premium analog gauges.
    What is the point of the dial gauges? I see no advantage and they make it look bulky.
    And the price, way higher than sman3 or Digicool for a bunch of fancy stuff with no use, like the built in micron gauge.
    And only 1%???

Anyway there you have my opinion, take it or leave it.

Post Likes
    Another tech company that works with us has that set. and he has to take them back the high side of the manifold will not open up.

Post Likes
    I have heard that customer service from them is not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by klee7013 View Post
    Another tech company that works with us has that set. and he has to take them back the high side of the manifold will not open up.

Post Likes
    If you want a set that looks cool but isn't very durable - go for it.

Otherwise look at the AK900s.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't recommend them. My local Johnstone had the Hilmor display up for maybe a week. I asked them why they took it down and they told me that the products have been nothing but problems since day 1. I purchased the Hilmor reversible nut driver online and about an hour after I received it, the sleeve inside the handle that holds the shaft had already broken out. Had to superglue it, but it still isn't the same. Search through the threads here and you will find a lot of poor reviews of Hilmor all around. I would stick with something tried and true such as DigiCool or Fieldpiece. Both have great products and customer service. Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Cutsy bells and whistles that do not add to a pro's ability to do their job...
    Average to poor quality product...
    Weak customer service...
    And high price...

What is there to like...

As noted: Search for other threads... my opinion is shared by others.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    My thought on it is that I haven't seen any of there stuff till recently. Now they are everywhere. There putting a ton of money into advertising and product placement. How much are they putting into development if they blow their whole budget on marketing.

Post Likes
    Thanks Guy's. Think I'll stick with my SMAN3's, and upgrade to the 4's later in light of the feedback.

Post Likes
    Wow
    Good thing the parent company already makes garbage cans

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Wow
    Good thing the parent company already makes garbage cans
    x2!

Post Likes
    I have two gauges. SMAN4 that I use for new system, evacuating and charging. Then a cheap yellow jacket I carry for quick check up and for rooftop units. Would rather risk dropping cheaper gauges than $450 ones.

I wish my HS33 limited edition had wireless capabilities on its amp clamp, would be handy for when I need to test it out on condensers who's disconnect is far away. Guess I can still disconnect the lie voltage on contactor and manually go from there lol.

SRS2C it's really good too, my beef with it is that it sometimes does not sync.

Now I need to see on why my vacuum pump won't pull down much. Even have thread locked the unused ports.
    Last edited by makiro; 06-29-2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typos

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by makiro View Post
    I have two gauges. SMAN4 that I use for new system, evacuating and charging. Then a cheap yellow jacket I carry for quick check up and for rooftop units. Would rather risk dropping cheaper gauges than $450 ones.

I wish my HS33 limited edition had wireless capabilities on its amp clamp, would be handy for when I need to test it out on condensers who's disconnect is far away. Guess I can still disconnect the lie voltage on contactor and manually go from there lol.

SRS2C it's really good too, my beef with it is that it sometimes does not sync.

Now I need to see on why my vacuum pump won't pull down much. Even have thread locked the unused ports.
    Change the oil, then connect the vacuum gauge directly to the pump. If it will not do <100 microns... it needs service.

If it does pull less than 100 microns... then there is a leak in something connected to it. I would start with the manifold/gauge set... check everything one step at a time... you will find it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Good point. I did change the oil from last vacuum 3 months ago. The company I work for, would prefer for me to get another vacuum pump rather than getting this one serviced

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by makiro View Post
    Good point. I did change the oil from last vacuum 3 months ago. The company I work for, would prefer for me to get another vacuum pump rather than getting this one serviced
    You shoudn't leave the oil in the vacuum pump for so long time.

Post Likes
    Figured it wouldn't hurt it since I seal mine.

Post Likes
    My distributor said Hilmor was bought by Lennox. And the thing is supposed to have a three year over the counter replacement, and a lifetime manifold body warranty

Post Likes
    Hilmor and Lenox have been the same company the whole time. They are from the same parent company Newell Rubbermaid. (The Lenox that makes saw blades and hand tools, not Lennox the HVAC company)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in