Thread: Lennox G40 Gas / 13ACD How Good?

Post Likes

Hmm

Anybody know anything about these units that a local contractor wants to install in my house? Any upgrades I should think about? Thanks ahead of time.

Post Likes
    Thats Lennox's bottom of the line 80% furnace and bottome of the line 13 seer condenser. Enough said.

Post Likes
    Entry level equipment - look for upgrades to at least G51 Elite series furnace for efficiency Check the Lennox website for additional info.

Post Likes
    The A/C is the cheapo cube. I'd sure suggest upgrading to the Elite 13. Much nicer built unit, better warranty. Where are you? Maybe dual fuel with heat pump & gas might be a good choice?

Standard

Elite with 10 year comp warranty, nice cabinet, quieter

Post Likes

asking a similar thing...

Howdy,

I just signed up to get this pair of units installed next week. I can still change if I need/want to.

I'm getting the two units, new ductwork, 6 additional vents, and moving the furnace unit from a cabinent into the attic space, and the new thermostat.

It's a 900 sq/ft condo in Southern California near the coast.

Are these units sufficient, even though they are the baseline, or should I ask about an upgrade to one of the Elite units?.. what would the price difference be?..

(While the AC will get good use, previously we've only used the heat about 10 nights or so a year).

This is replacing units that were installed in the early 80's, so it's a complete replacement of the system.

Any advice/comments?...

(adding that the refrigerant lines run inside the walls, so switching to units with the new refrigerants may not be feasible if the lines have to be changed)
    Last edited by halabar; 06-27-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: additional information

Post Likes
    Please remove the prises. Pricing is not allowed on this site, its in the rules. Thank you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by halabar View Post
    Howdy,

I just signed up to get this pair of units installed next week. I can still change if I need/want to.

I'm getting the two units, new ductwork, 6 additional vents, and moving the furnace unit from a cabinent into the attic space, and the new thermostat.

It's a 900 sq/ft condo in Southern California near the coast.

Are these units sufficient, even though they are the baseline, or should I ask about an upgrade to one of the Elite units?.. what would the price difference be?..

(While the AC will get good use, previously we've only used the heat about 10 nights or so a year).

This is replacing units that were installed in the early 80's, so it's a complete replacement of the system.

Any advice/comments?...

(adding that the refrigerant lines run inside the walls, so switching to units with the new refrigerants may not be feasible if the lines have to be changed)
    If the lines are the right size and they are properly flushed/purged, then you should not have the change the lines. I would recommend an upgrade to the XC13 or XC14. The HP13 uses R22, if that's the route you wanted to take, though I'd recommend you go with R410A personally. The G51 would still be a nice upgrade for the furnace. See what your contractor thinks. The Merit series equipment will cool and heat just fine if sized properly, but sometimes it's better to get a higher-quality product with a better warranty.

Post Likes
    stay with the cheap furnace if you want but go with a better a/c unit.

no need for 90% furnace for how much you use it and many condo's around here won't allow them.

if any upgrade on the heater i would go up to the g60 v drive unit just for the variable speed blower..........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    If the lines are the right size and they are properly flushed/purged, then you should not have the change the lines. I would recommend an upgrade to the XC13 or XC14. The HP13 uses R22, if that's the route you wanted to take, though I'd recommend you go with R410A personally. The G51 would still be a nice upgrade for the furnace. See what your contractor thinks. The Merit series equipment will cool and heat just fine if sized properly, but sometimes it's better to get a higher-quality product with a better warranty.
    Sounds like the line size is a problem. I just talked to the contractor, and he said that for the Elite units the lines would have to be upgraded from what I have, and the association rules say existing lines must be used. (Can only replace if faulty, and due to siding that would be extensive work).

The size of the external unit is also an issue. It can't go up in overall size..

Which unit would still use the same size lines and keep the same size?.. (The association rules say the tonnage is to stay the same but what they really are concerned about is the footprint). Also at issue is putting the furnace in the common attic area, contractor is going to talk to the association about that.. (sigh...)

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post

how many of these have you done ???????

or did you stay at the holiday inn express.........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by halabar View Post
    Sounds like the line size is a problem. I just talked to the contractor, and he said that for the Elite units the lines would have to be upgraded from what I have, and the association rules say existing lines must be used. (Can only replace if faulty, and due to siding that would be extensive work).

The size of the external unit is also an issue. It can't go up in overall size..

Which unit would still use the same size lines and keep the same size?.. (The association rules say the tonnage is to stay the same but what they really are concerned about is the footprint). Also at issue is putting the furnace in the common attic area, contractor is going to talk to the association about that.. (sigh...)

Thanks for all the replies!!!
    Ask the contractor for your current line sizes if he wrote it down, unless you know. It can be compared to what Lennox requires.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    how many of these have you done ???????

or did you stay at the holiday inn express.........
    Hmmm?

I don't install or service (aside from the typical basic maintenance on my own system). I call a company myself. Just friendly advice from one HO to another.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in