Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft. Worth Buyer looking for expert opinions on system

Post Likes

Ft. Worth Buyer looking for expert opinions on system

Alrighty. You all probably get these types of questions often, but I do appreciate your input. I'm currently building a 4600 sq.ft. home in Ft. Worth, TX, and have recently been quoted several options from the builder's HVAC folks. The system will consist of 2 seperate a/c units. Here are my options from low to high (pricing excluded of course):

1. 14 SEER: Goodman Condenser & Goodman Furnace and Coil w/ 10 year warranty.

2. 14 SEER plus: include a Honeywell F100 media filter and Honeywell T8000 Touchscreen Thermostat.

3. 15 SEER Amana plus: same as above, but adds a Amana Variable Speed Furnace w/ lifetime replacement warranty.

4. 16 SEER Amana plus: same as above, but adds SSX 16 High Efficiency 410A Condenser.

Are the upgraded options worth it? Would I be better off getting the lowest system, and just upgrading later down the road? In terms of SEER rating, what can I expect my energy bills to look like, and would it be worth getting a 16 SEER over a 14 SEER system? Any and all suggestions are appreciated, as well as, any questions I should be asking the HVAC contractor about (ie. duct work, insulation, ect.). Thanx!
    Last edited by ftwrtbuyer; 07-24-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Post Likes
    Question: are you keeping the furnace or replacing it, or do you not have a gas furnace?

If you are replacing the furnace or using an air handler with one with a variable-speed blower then, in your area, I would go for the Amana ASX16 with the same thermostat and air filter. That would be a nice system. Otherwise, I would go for the 14 SEER Amana ASX14.

I would get the highest efficiency you can afford now so you don't have to upgrade unnecessarily down the road.

Post Likes
    I'm no expert so please feel free to ignore my opinion.

First question are you looking at heat pumps or just A/C units?

I just had the Amana ASZ16 heat pump and AMV8 variable speed furnace. I would highly recommend them based on comfort and quiet alone. I dont know that you'd really see a payback going from 14 SEER to 16 SEER. It all depends on your electric rates. Where I am at, electricity is only $0.0797/kWh so a payback would take a while.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Question: are you keeping the furnace or replacing it, or do you not have a gas furnace?

If you are replacing the furnace or using an air handler with one with a variable-speed blower then, in your area, I would go for the Amana ASX16 with the same thermostat and air filter. That would be a nice system. Otherwise, I would go for the 14 SEER Amana ASX14.

I would get the highest efficiency you can afford now so you don't have to upgrade unnecessarily down the road.
    I'm building this thing from scratch, and have nothing currently. But from what your saying, option 4 would be the best choice. Keep in mind, I'm def not above getting a better SEER system later on down the road...19-23 (when they become more affordable of course )

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    I'm no expert so please feel free to ignore my opinion.

First question are you looking at heat pumps or just A/C units?

I just had the Amana ASZ16 heat pump and AMV8 variable speed furnace. I would highly recommend them based on comfort and quiet alone. I dont know that you'd really see a payback going from 14 SEER to 16 SEER. It all depends on your electric rates. Where I am at, electricity is only $0.0797/kWh so a payback would take a while.
    Is that normal to combine a heat pump system w/ a furnace? I thought (novice speaking) that the proper set up was A/C w/ Furnace or Heat pump w/ air handler...I can def. ask the HVAC contractor about the possibility of a heat pump system. Do those work well though w/ the TEXAS heat, cooling-wise?

Post Likes
    Don't worry about dual fuel in your area when you don't use the heat much. I'd go for one or the other. In my opinion...

Ask for the indoor model numbers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwrtbuyer View Post
    Alrighty. You all probably get these types of questions often, but I do appreciate your input. I'm currently building a 4600 sq.ft. home in Ft. Worth, TX, and have recently been quoted several options from the builder's HVAC folks. The system will consist of 2 seperate a/c units. Here are my options from low to high (pricing excluded of course):

1. 14 SEER: Goodman Condenser & Goodman Furnace and Coil w/ 10 year warranty.

2. 14 SEER plus: include a Honeywell F100 media filter and Honeywell T8000 Touchscreen Thermostat.

3. 15 SEER Amana plus: same as above, but adds a Amana Variable Speed Furnace w/ lifetime replacement warranty.

4. 16 SEER Amana plus: same as above, but adds SSX 16 High Efficiency 410A Condenser.

Are the upgraded options worth it? Would I be better off getting the lowest system, and just upgrading later down the road? In terms of SEER rating, what can I expect my energy bills to look like, and would it be worth getting a 16 SEER over a 14 SEER system? Any and all suggestions are appreciated, as well as, any questions I should be asking the HVAC contractor about (ie. duct work, insulation, ect.). Thanx!

The most important part of any HVAC system is the house it goes in.
    I also live in Fort Worth.
    I have 4,000 sq. ft. of conditioned space and it only requires one 2 ton heat pump to cool the whole house.

Put the air handler and duct work in conditioned space.
    Add shade for all of the windows in the summer. Avoid East and West facing windows as much as possible.
    Air seal the house! - control infiltration.

Post Likes
    Is that normal to combine a heat pump system w/ a furnace? I thought (novice speaking) that the proper set up was A/C w/ Furnace or Heat pump w/ air handler...I can def. ask the HVAC contractor about the possibility of a heat pump system. Do those work well though w/ the TEXAS heat, cooling-wise?
    Cooling wise, the heat pump will work just as well as an A/C unit.

And in Missouri, where I am at, the furnace is required to backup the heat pump when temps get below 20degrees. If you are in fort worth, I'd think you might need some sort of auxiliary heat for those 4 or 5 nights a year when it gets really cold. If you could get by w/out auxiliary heat, then definitely dont spend money on an unneccessary furnace.

Post Likes
    So from what i'm gathering...I should probably go with option 1. for now, and upgrade the HVAC system down the road. I'll def ask about a heat pump sytem with an air handler. I'll try to get some model numbers from the contractor too, and repost that info. Thanx too all so far who've replied!

Post Likes
    can your electric company help you decide if going from SEER 14 to SEER 16 would have a reasonable payback period? I'm really not familiar with your rates down there.

Post Likes
    So from what i'm gathering...I should probably go with option 1. for now, and upgrade the HVAC system down the road. I'll def ask about a heat pump sytem with an air handler. I'll try to get some model numbers from the contractor too, and repost that info. Thanx too all so far who've replied!
    Since you plan on upgrading down the road with a higher-efficiency multi-stage unit....

Amana ASZ14 14 SEER heat pump (should get 15 SEER with v/s)
    Amana AEPF variable-speed air handler with auxiliary heat backup
    Honeywell TH8320/8321 or YTH9421 (better dehumidification by slowing down blower) VisionPRO thermostat
    Honeywell F100 media air cabinet

Looks like they only plan on adding v/s if you go with option 3. Depending on your utility rates, a heat pump might be a better option than a gas furnace. For your climate, a heat pump makes sense.

The key here is proper sizing and installation. Get a load calculation in writing.

Also, the SSX16 is a Goodman/Amana Distinctions product and not the premium Amana product, so if going this route, I'd make sure it's the ASX16 or ASZ16. The Goodman is only dual stage in the 5-ton size.

Post Likes

Out of curiosity, what do you do for heat right now? Do you not have a furnace?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Since you plan on upgrading down the road with a higher-efficiency multi-stage unit....

Amana ASZ14 14 SEER heat pump (should get 15 SEER with v/s)
    Amana AEPF variable-speed air handler with auxiliary heat backup
    Honeywell TH8320/8321 or YTH9421 (better dehumidification by slowing down blower) VisionPRO thermostat
    Honeywell F100 media air cabinet

Looks like they only plan on adding v/s if you go with option 3. Depending on your utility rates, a heat pump might be a better option than a gas furnace. For your climate, a heat pump makes sense.

The key here is proper sizing and installation. Get a load calculation in writing.
    I'll ask about a load calculation. Thanx for the suggestion on a set up as well...I may simply be stuck w/ what they offer...but I have yet to actually speak w/ the HVAC guy...They simply emailed me my options...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you do for heat right now? Do you not have a furnace?
    i can tell you that the system I have now is probably 15 years old! Anything at this point would be an upgrade. I believe it's a heat pump/ air handler system since the home is all electric. But it could be an electric furnace...i guess.

Post Likes
    i can tell you that the system I have now is probably 15 years old! Anything at this point would be an upgrade. I believe it's a heat pump/ air handler system since the home is all electric. But it could be an electric furnace...i guess.
    But rather than get sidetracked on the current system in the old house...It sounds like I should consider a heat pump sytem w/ an air handler...Which could very well function better than the two a/c system that has been recommended??? Of course, I'd need the load calculation for the house to verify, and will try to get...

Post Likes
    A heat pump is a good choice for efficient heating and cooling. Amana's heat pumps have good HSPF ratings in general. A load calculation tells you how much heating and cooling you need essentially (heat loss and heat gain). Heat pumps are typically sized for cooling with up to 25% oversize allowed in Manual J.

Post Likes
    Ftwrtbuyer,

I am just a home owner who built a house in north Texas in 2004. Dont make the mistake I made. First insist on a load calculation. I went with the HVAC guys word and it cost me in the long run. Long story short I had to replace my unit this year. I would be more concerned with the company than I would the equipment. After you pick a company I would go with the VS 2 stage heat pump. I went with Carrier and it has dropped my humidity and cooled my house with less electicity. With rates going up everyday in our area I would buy the highest SEER I could afford. I looked at TXU rates today and they are in the range of 17cents KWH.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kkmcewen View Post
    Ftwrtbuyer,

I am just a home owner who built a house in north Texas in 2004. Dont make the mistake I made. First insist on a load calculation. I went with the HVAC guys word and it cost me in the long run. Long story short I had to replace my unit this year. I would be more concerned with the company than I would the equipment. After you pick a company I would go with the VS 2 stage heat pump. I went with Carrier and it has dropped my humidity and cooled my house with less electicity. With rates going up everyday in our area I would buy the highest SEER I could afford. I looked at TXU rates today and they are in the range of 17cents KWH.
    I'll def try to get the load calculation from the builder's HVAC company. I'm def. worried about the same situation happening. I feel like the upgrades offered really are minimal, but I'm not an expert. That's why I turned to the HVAC Forums! If i can't get some of the things mentioned (ie. heat pump system w/ air handler, ect.) I'll prob end up getting option 2 since I may not have a choice...

Post Likes
    I'll def try to get the load calculation from the builder's HVAC company. I'm def. worried about the same situation happening. I feel like the upgrades offered really are minimal, but I'm not an expert. That's why I turned to the HVAC Forums! If i can't get some of the things mentioned (ie. heat pump system w/ air handler, ect.) I'll prob end up getting option 2 since I may not have a choice...
    I didnt get the load test and my unit was to large. It would short cylce and not remove any humidity. In the long run it cost me higher electic bills and I had to replace it four years later. If I had it to do again I would go with a reputable company that I felt good with. Make sure they show you the load test and that they will make it right.

Post Likes
    ftwrtbuyer.......Im in the FtW area, if you need anything, email me....in profile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in