+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Dairy / Deli case freezing up

Post Likes

Open Dairy / Deli case freezing up

Had this problem going on for too long. We got a mom and pop grocer with a 48' open dairy/deli case. It is split into 2 separate systems, so that each 24' or case has it own cond unit. Case 1+2 has 4 30min defrost per day, and never has a problem. Case 3+4 has 4 45min defrosts and it froze up last night. Defrost timer works fine, air temp is in the high 30s with all defrosted and running good. Case 3+4 is near a set of swinging doors to the back room on the far right end cap. We had some heavy rain for the past couple of days, besides that it has not frozen up since the summer time. What do we need in this store to eliminate this? Dehumidification? Humidity in the store was at about 60% this morning. I am in upstate NY, was about 55 degrees outside yesterday with rain, and today clear and about 40 degrees out side.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Post Likes
    BTW we are using Paragon 9145-00 electronic timer, think that may be erratic?

Post Likes
    BTW we are using Paragon 9145-00 electronic timer, think that may be erratic?

Post Likes
    Ok, so this is a single, conventional unit that is icing up?

Liquid line solenoid control? Does that close properly? Leaking through? Where is that solenoid located?

How about the pumpdown control cutout? Is that working?

Where's your superheat? High superheat tends to lead to low evap temps and, consequently longer required defrost times.

Here's what I'd do.

Clear the coils. All of them. Every BIT of ice and frost.

Fire them up, let them run for an hour or so.

Verify system charge.

Verify controls settings and operation.

Verify and adjust superheats.

Verify proper airflow. I've seen both high AND low airflow cause defrost issues.

Come back in a couple days and review.

Repeat as necessary to prove that problem has been resolved.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Liquid line solenoid control? Does that close properly? Leaking through? Where is that solenoid located?

Where's your superheat? High superheat tends to lead to low evap temps and, consequently longer required defrost times.

Here's what I'd do.

Verify system charge.

Verify proper airflow. I've seen both high AND low airflow cause defrost issues.

I would add don't get in a hurry and rush to get out of there. I don't know anything about what you guys are talking about but that's what my experiences have taught me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I would add don't get in a hurry and rush to get out of there. I don't know anything about what you guys are talking about but that's what my experiences have taught me.
    That goes without saying, I thought... Then again, maybe not.

Post Likes
    That goes without saying, I thought... Then again, maybe not.
    You know what they say about "ASSuming".....

Post Likes
    Don't forget your drains as well.

Post Likes

Here's what I'd do.

Verify system charge.

It is 2 sections in parallel going to a conventional Trenton Scroll unit on the roof.

LLSV closes fine, no frosting on the outlet, and unit pumps down and stays off, through the entire defrost. It is located outside the case in the back room. Super heat is fine last time I checked, but I am sure it is not high. Also we have 2 sections with 2 txvs, but I will check the super heats when I get a chance. I can tell you one thing, during the summer the far right case is sweating on the ceiling all summer long, for the time of the year it is, the freeze up seemed pretty unusual? It really does not freeze up all that bad in the summer as it was the other night either, so something is amiss here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Don't forget your drains as well.
    Drains run clear, verified by hot water defrost.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    It is 2 sections in parallel going to a conventional Trenton Scroll unit on the roof.

LLSV closes fine, no frosting on the outlet, and unit pumps down and stays off, through the entire defrost. It is located outside the case in the back room. Super heat is fine last time I checked, but I am sure it is not high. Also we have 2 sections with 2 txvs, but I will check the super heats when I get a chance. I can tell you one thing, during the summer the far right case is sweating on the ceiling all summer long, for the time of the year it is, the freeze up seemed pretty unusual? It really does not freeze up all that bad in the summer as it was the other night either, so something is amiss here.

Drains run clear, verified by hot water defrost.
    Cool. When I get to this point I take a trip outside the refrigeration system and start asking questions? What has changed around or in the case? I'll ask about everything from product to deliveries. Did someone have that double door propped open all night cleaning floors or something?did some one wash the case down with it running? Did someone overload the case and stack product over the return slot? Etc.

Post Likes
    Whats the head pressure?

Does it have enough refrigerant?

Maybe it's starving the cases all night by flooding the condenser, causing the compressor to run longer, lowering the SST and you slowly start building ice.....until one day, you lose airflow.

Post Likes
    I stopped in for a minute today, shined my LED on the top of the coil, it was all clear, defrost was 2 hrs before I got there, so something is screwy here, but I did not have to time go through a total diagnosis, but I will get to that later on. Tommy Knocker, you might be on to something with that double door? I know that causes us our case sweating in the summer, and we did have an unseasonal warm raining day the night it froze up.

Post Likes
    Ok, Number one issue with open air case is that enviroment around it. That door that swings open around it is a problem, no vents, doors or even product not being put in correctly will cause issues. Remember there is an air curtian at the top and it creates a "door" for this unit, so if a vent, a door opening/closing, foot traffic or product being put too far foward or if it is too tall. These things just left your "door" open, They MUST be addressed. Also many open air cases have night curtains, these serve two purposes, to reduce the load at night (a/c heat on/off) and by doing that reduces the humidity and energy consumption. I would almost guarantee this to solve your issues, going off of what you have described. And explain it to the customer that way, we don't run your a/c heat with the "doors" open. Let us know. This air curtain should go from the top, through a honey comb material and blow downwards to the louvers at the front bottom of the case. The honey comb material acts as a restriction on the air flow so that the air coming up the back wall is able to push outwards,

Post Likes
    So I stopped in again after the 12 PM defrost, coil was totally clear, spoke to the owner and recommended the curtains and he is all for it. So where can I get these from?

Post Likes
    So I stopped in again after the 12 PM defrost, coil was totally clear, spoke to the owner and recommended the curtains and he is all for it. So where can I get these from?
    What curtains?

Post Likes
    I don't know whay brand your cas is. Look online, i have seen them on structural concepts cases and many other brands. I will look as well to see what i can find. The usually call the "night curtains". Almost like a window shade but they usually have a slight perferation to them.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    sorry for my typos, was using a smart phone and it was late.

Post Likes
    Thats the ones I have seen and used, thanks for the link. These are perfect, I have seem some mylar style as well. But this site looks great!

Post Likes
    Open air cases will sometimes ice up at irregular intervals, based on when nearby HVAC Supply Air Ducts are 'washing out' the case air curtain. Especially when the HVAC is Calling for Heating. It's possible you don't have a Refrigeration problem.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in