+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Owners advise on interview

Post Likes

Owners advise on interview

I have an interview next week at our largest hvac contractor in the area. Any advise? I really need a change so I would like to make the best impression possible. Does anyone have and do's and don'ts?

Post Likes
    be positive and motivated. Don't bring up money until they do.

Post Likes
    The more you let them talk the better their impression of you. People love to talk about themselves.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    The more you let them talk the better their impression of you. People love to talk about themselves.
    Lol that's a good one!

Post Likes
    Anything else?

Post Likes
    Above all else, be honest and have a positive attitude. A knowledgeable interviewer will know if you're BSing him/her. Shower, shave, brush your teeth and wear clean clothes. Research commonly asked questions asked in interviews and have prepared answers. They'll ask you "why do you want to work here?","Give us an example of a difficult situation and how you handled it.", "why should we hire you?". You get the picture. Be prepared, neat, honest, and you'll do fine.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain

Post Likes
    There's research that shows that the less you talk and the more the interviewer talks the better impression they will have of you. It's no joke. If you cut them off when they are trying to say something because you're trying to impress them with how much they know they'll think you're arrogant. Ask good questions and allow them to talk about themselves and they will think you are smart. It's better to remain silent and let them think you an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt. You know what I mean. Sometimes by talking too much you can talk yourself out of a job. A skilled interviewer will give you enough rope to hang yourself.

Post Likes
    That's good sound advise, I'm nervous because they are known for commercial work but do resi, I have mostly done resi service. I hope it all goes well and hope they feel like I'm qualified enuf.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    There's research that shows that the less you talk and the more the interviewer talks the better impression they will have of you. It's no joke. If you cut them off when they are trying to say something because you're trying to impress them with how much they know they'll think you're arrogant. Ask good questions and allow them to talk about themselves and they will think you are smart. It's better to remain silent and let them think you an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt. You know what I mean. Sometimes by talking too much you can talk yourself out of a job. A skilled interviewer will give you enough rope to hang yourself.
    Good to know!

Post Likes
    Good luck bud
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Good luck bud
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Be confident and sell your self. Have ready a few reasons as to why they should hire you over somebody else

Post Likes
    Research the company. Know as much as you can about them. Ask lots of open ended questions - don't ask "yes" and "no" questions. Have them prepared and take notes during the interview. Everyone is right about getting the other person to talk more. If you move forward in the process ask to talk with other employees. Can't stress knowing as much as you can about the company before you go in. Good luck!

Post Likes
    Don't bad mouth anyone! Sometimes tricky to talk around when discussing why you are leaving current job - but rehearse and be ready with a positive response. Just keep it all about your desire to keep growing - you've become quite competent in residential, and while you have experience in commercial, you'd like to spend more time honing your commercial savvy...

Something like that. Just believe in what you are saying and you will sound honest. It's much harder to lie and it usually shows...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I have an interview next week at our largest hvac contractor in the area. Any advise? I really need a change so I would like to make the best impression possible. Does anyone have and do's and don'ts?
    hey, where's the interview? just kidding good luck!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by upant View Post
    hey, where's the interview? just kidding good luck!
    Lol thanks, well see what happens, hoping I don't have to take a pay cut lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Economaster View Post
    Research the company. Know as much as you can about them. Ask lots of open ended questions - don't ask "yes" and "no" questions. Have them prepared and take notes during the interview. Everyone is right about getting the other person to talk more. If you move forward in the process ask to talk with other employees. Can't stress knowing as much as you can about the company before you go in. Good luck!

very interesting idea to take notes while being interviewed. Does that show you are a very serious candidate? Would you also suggest that for someone interviewing as a helper?

Post Likes
    -Don't use Yes/No answers. even if its "yes sir, i believe i do" as opposed to "yes"
    -Know as much as you can about the company and the position
    -NEVER cut off interviewer ( i agree with letting the interviewer talk as much as possible
    -be polished and professional
    -Make sure intelligence, hunger, and determination come through from you
    -Show and prove you are willing and wanting to learn everything you can about HVAC and the company protocol

Post Likes
    Well had my interview today and I think it went great! We talked about this and that, told me I'm pretty much guaranteed to stay busy and if not I could do installs or commercial construction. He told me he liked what he was hearing from me. They were looking for a senior tech more than anything but I told him I love to learn and would do whatever I needed to. I have to call him back tomorrow for his decision but I'm thinking because they are so back logged that it will go in my favor.
    Thanks for the input guys, if it weren't for this place I wouldn't be the tech I am today!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    He told me he liked what he was hearing from me.
    Well, that's one of us...
    Glad it went well
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in