+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HVAC techs BC canada, HVAc good carrer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    You don't NEED to join the union. Especially if commercial/industrial work isn't your fortι
    jarts won't refer to non union.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    3 months they called me.

yes took pre-app throught jarts
    do they know how well you did in the pre apprentice program or is it just pass/fail? im going to call and register tomorrow for the Jan 2013 pre apprentice...

Post Likes
    Well it's not all in all a bad career. If something breaks you have to know how to fix it, also that you have to know about chill water, and if you get a job in the hospital most likely medical air, I mean really if you work in a hospital your going to be busy all day fixing things and playing around with thermostats.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aky View Post
    do they know how well you did in the pre apprentice program or is it just pass/fail? im going to call and register tomorrow for the Jan 2013 pre apprentice...
    How well you do, there are tests, will be privy to any employer.

Post Likes
    just an update, finished the JARTS pre app program. It was a good intro into refrigeration. I havent applied anywhere just yet, but I'm going to soon. I'm also registered at JARTS for their Foundation program.

Has anyone landed an apprenticeship with just the pre app program in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area)? Do you think I should also take the foundation program. Once completed, the foundation program will give me my level 1.

Post Likes
    pre-app will give you an advantage over someone who hasn't taken it, most union companies will usually only look at candidates that have the pre-app completed, cause you will have a CFC and TDG ticket.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aky View Post
    just an update, finished the JARTS pre app program. It was a good intro into refrigeration. I havent applied anywhere just yet, but I'm going to soon. I'm also registered at JARTS for their Foundation program.

Has anyone landed an apprenticeship with just the pre app program in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area)? Do you think I should also take the foundation program. Once completed, the foundation program will give me my level 1.
    Nope...save your money and get a job. In the real world that level 1 doesn't really help you without any work experience. In fact some (non-union) employers might want you to re-take it anyways for that same reason.

Post Likes
    sorry duplicate post... please delete.
    Last edited by aky; 05-30-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: sorry duplicate post... please delete.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fv_tom View Post
    Nope...save your money and get a job. In the real world that level 1 doesn't really help you without any work experience. In fact some (non-union) employers might want you to re-take it anyways for that same reason.
    Any tips on how to get in with a company? Seems like there are so many guys applying with the pre app course from Jarts. You almost would have to know someone who can get you in...

Post Likes
    I took the BCIT ELTT for first year and 10 years later attended JARTS for the rest. The ELTT course was 6 or 7 months long and very intensive, but looking back, the knowledge I obtained from the ELTT course on electrical and thermodynamics gave me such a different outlook on the way the world really works. Even if you take an ELTT course and not pursue the Refrigeration trade, it won't be a waste of time. Attending JARTS has advantages over BCIT. Every person there is in the Refrigeration field. Parking is free. At BCIT, maybe one percent of the people wondering the halls are pursuing a career in your field.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in