+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frymaster HLZ that McDonalds uses

Post Likes

Frymaster HLZ that McDonalds uses

I've got a couple HLZ's that keep going into high and lock out the buttons on front, but once you unplug it and let it cool down, the buttons work just fine for another 24 hours or so. Just wondering if that's normal for happening when the computer for the HLZ's are going bad because once I change out the computer for the HLZ's the problem goes away.Attachment 279261

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Its been a couple of years since I've worked on a hlz. But isn't there a dot on the display that indicates the plate or air heater is on? I had two mcdonalds I took care of for several years and never did replace a computer. It was always a platen or a solid state relay.

I guess my point is. When I had an hlz overheat on me. If I could catch it acting up I would always check the display first. I never saw the dot on the screen. It always seemed the solid state relay had stuck..

Hope this helps

Jeep

Post Likes
    I'v worked on a lot of frymasters before but not the HLZ! But if you change the computer and the problem goes away then my guess is the computer is bad.

If i suspected a computer problem then i would switch it with the one on the fryer next to it to test it.

Post Likes
    They wouldn't act up in the shop but after a couple days at the store they'd acted up, so the boss said just replace the computer and the relay's.

So far I've had to replace 3 HLZ computers and relay's and it seems to solve the problem, which I find kind of wierd, cause just switching out the relay's didn't help.

Frymaster says its a air flow issue but that I can tell with the fan motor in them is just fine. Replaced one of the fan motors cause it had the same issue but it didn't solve the problem till the computer and relay's were changed out.

Post Likes
    My bad! i was thinking fryer.

I was looking at the service manual for that unit and seen it's basiclly a holding unit.
    If frymaster is saying its an airflow issue. There is a screen or filter where the air gets sucked in. Is that clean, no restrictions?

Post Likes
    The screen is clean and not all the stores even have the screen anymore to use it. When I open it up to clean it out there isn't much food crumbs in the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    My bad! i was thinking fryer.

I was looking at the service manual for that unit and seen it's basiclly a holding unit.
    If frymaster is saying its an airflow issue. There is a screen or filter where the air gets sucked in. Is that clean, no restrictions?
    Last edited by caheiman30; 07-28-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: forget some information

Post Likes
    The air heat relay is known to stick on. Also clean the fan. The comp will lock out if it gets to hot and will eventually fail.

Post Likes
    mmm, I will have to watch for that when I get one in for this issue again.

Post Likes
    Just a quick tip. Been working onMcD stuff 11 yrs. Comp will act erraticaly if it gets too hot. SSR's won't stick but the ones in an hlz will half wave. They will pass either the high or low side of the sine wave. Can be tested when operating and temp dot is off . If meter says any thing bu ) volts AC, it's halfwaving and needs to be changed.

Rango
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Post Likes
    Every HLZ in service I have ever taken apart was in need of cleaning. Not with food particles in it but dust and lint accumulation. Use co2 or an air compressor (not canned air) to blow it out. Unscrew the computer housing and tilt it over then blow out thoroughly under the plate, through the blower housing, and most importantly through the computer housing. The computer gets insulated with the lint in there and gets hotter than it should.

Maybe you already knew that but hopefully it helps someone.

Post Likes
    Yes the fans could be blocked off, not enough air flow will cause that issue.

Post Likes

One who looks to the brain for help has just missed the person.

I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic circuit using stone knives and bearskins.
    --Spock in 'City on the Edge of Forever'

It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want.
    --Spock in 'Errand of Mercy'

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
    ― Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in