+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goodman 1/2 hp ECM power head

Post Likes

Goodman 1/2 hp ECM power head

I do most of the controls toubleshooting at Perdue Farms Ammonia and HVAC units in operation. I became fustrated when troubleshooting an AEPT030-00A-1 air handler. Going through all the steps and verifying the power head on the motor (an unpluggable device) was bad, and then told by Goodman that the whole shebang has to be replaced..motor and all. This seems to be the difference between a $200 part and a $500+ part. Why the need for all the extensive troubleshooting and motor disassembly to determine which half is bad if either part is not available individually? This was the whole brainchild of GE ECM motors to make these units easier to service. You just pull the head and leave the blower intact, and save the customer money to boot. Goodman does not support the replacement, but are there any out there that carry this module? So much for savings the motor provided, hah!

Post Likes
    It is any ecm motor I believe, that the whole motor needs replaced. It is not only goodman. I try to stay away from the ecm, but it is hard to, with the high s.e.e.r. nowadays.

Post Likes
    Have replaced some control modules only on units that werent covered by warranty.These units were trane.I would figure you could get just the mod but not sure where.

Post Likes
    You can replace the powerhead on a goodman.

It's just not advised, nor do I believe it is coved by goodman.

It's better to just pull the whole motor, in my opinion.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsky2011 View Post
    It is any ecm motor I believe, that the whole motor needs replaced. It is not only goodman. I try to stay away from the ecm, but it is hard to, with the high s.e.e.r. nowadays.
    Not true! The ECM"s are very dependable, there killers are high statics and power surges.

90% of our repairs are the module only, NOT BOTH!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Not true! The ECM"s are very dependable, there killers are high statics and power surges.

90% of our repairs are the module only, NOT BOTH!
    Please elaborate. The G.E. X13 motors are a snap to disassemble, 2 screws and a molex connector. The modules are factory programmed with proprietary software for parameters like constant torque, constant velocity or constant volume for each individual unit they are used in. They are not field programmable to my knowlege. However, I know there are "shops" out there that claim to repair the modules for a premium price but you have to send the motor in while the customer sits in limbo. The only place I've had any luck with replacements is from the factory.

I've had 3 go down in the last week and all had to be ordered direct as complete motors with a 3-4 day turnaround.

If you have some insight as to how get the modules replaced/repaired/programmed I love to hear it.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    we install Lennox, work on anything.
    Trane and Lennox both say:

A) if module is bad and motor is good, just replace module.

B) if motor is bad, even if module is good, replace both.

I was told the same thing when working on Mitsubishi ductless, if motor is bad replace board at the same time!

as was stated, the killer is the static pressure and power surges. I have a home that I go to every 14-16 months and replace module due to high static. They decided it is cheaper- no warranty on part or labor.

I also wonder why mfr could not provide programmable modules to a supplier or main dealer and then have it programmed there instead of the probable down time. Couldn't they hook it up to a programming computer with stored info or connect to the MFR via the Internet?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    .............I also wonder why mfr could not provide programmable modules to a supplier or main dealer and then have it programmed there instead of the probable down time. Couldn't they hook it up to a programming computer with stored info or connect to the MFR via the Internet?
    I happen to know they could in fact do just that. I was involved in one of the very first large scale deployments of ECM's in commercial HVAC, not residential but commercial. I had hands on in the testing, verification, programming of the first generation GE's. Programming takes about 10 seconds with a special USB cable. Its as easy as downloading a picture off a camera. There is no technical reason the manufacturer couldn't post a library of the individual program files for every unit and let suppliers or supply houses make the dumb motors smart. And I see no reason why you couldn't just pull a module, take it to a supply house and have it tested.

Of course I know the real reason they don't want to make it too easy is $$$. Still, if anyone knows a good answer for the field techs I'd like to know.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes

It can be done

we install Lennox, work on anything.
    Trane and Lennox both say:

A) if module is bad and motor is good, just replace module.

B) if motor is bad, even if module is good, replace both.

I was told the same thing when working on Mitsubishi ductless, if motor is bad replace board at the same time!

as was stated, the killer is the static pressure and power surges. I have a home that I go to every 14-16 months and replace module due to high static. They decided it is cheaper- no warranty on part or labor.

I also wonder why mfr could not provide programmable modules to a supplier or main dealer and then have it programmed there instead of the probable down time. Couldn't they hook it up to a programming computer with stored info or connect to the MFR via the Internet?
    There are some wholesalers that do programming.
    I have a programmer myself.

The biggest reason I think most do not, is they do not want to have a counter person or someone from the warehouse programming a module that could have liabillity involved.

They are not hard to do.

As stated earlier test module and motor and if module tests bad and motor does not, there is no need to replace both. Historically the module failes 90 pluss percent of the time not the motor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Please elaborate. The G.E. X13 motors are a snap to disassemble, 2 screws and a molex connector. The modules are factory programmed with proprietary software for parameters like constant torque, constant velocity or constant volume for each individual unit they are used in. They are not field programmable to my knowledge. However, I know there are "shops" out there that claim to repair the modules for a premium price but you have to send the motor in while the customer sits in limbo. The only place I've had any luck with replacements is from the factory.

I've had 3 go down in the last week and all had to be ordered direct as complete motors with a 3-4 day turnaround.

If you have some insight as to how get the modules replaced/repaired/programmed I love to hear it.
    We program all of our Trane modules. Trane sells a programmer and it take all of 10 seconds to do the programming. We stock 3 motors and 3 modules and that covers 99% of there residential ECM's. The programmer will also do the X13's, I just have not had the time to set it up.

Could the other manufactures do the same? Of course!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    arent all aep's still within their 10 yr parts warranty?

Post Likes
    methinks you need to charge more

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in