Thread: smoke detectors

Post Likes

smoke detectors

Smoke detectors going off everywhere. This is new building and first time turn on the heaters. I think when turn on the heater for first time usually burn off some of dust and oil residue burn and smokes little while. My question is how to bypass alarm until burn off all the residue in the heaters? Smoke detector shuts HVACs off before burn off residue.

If I have to call contractor which one Fire Protection, HVAC, Electrician.

Post Likes
    What kind of heaters? What kind of building? Gaspacks? Electric unit heaters? Gas unit heaters? Fan powered boxes with reheat? Is this a Warehouse? An Office building? A manufacturing facility? A little more information would be helpful. Why are you doing this on SUNDAY?
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Are they all alarming or just one? U may actually have a serious problem and only attributing it to "dust"

Depends how the system is wired...into a alarm/fire pane? talk to them...they may be able to put it temporary into test mode where u can reset when it alarms. They may also request you contact the installing HVAC contractor.

THE DETECTOR ARE THERE TO SAVE LIVES....in 11yrs of service i have only gone on a handful of nuances calls...most alarms turned out to be actual problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCyin View Post
    Smoke detectors going off everywhere. This is new building and first time turn on the heaters. I think when turn on the heater for first time usually burn off some of dust and oil residue burn and smokes little while. My question is how to bypass alarm until burn off all the residue in the heaters? Smoke detector shuts HVACs off before burn off residue.

If I have to call contractor which one Fire Protection, HVAC, Electrician.
    Should have the HVAC installation co. out to start up the heat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyB View Post
    Should have the HVAC installation co. out to start up the heat.
    I agree. Typically it's part of the contract to avoid these kinds of problems.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    What kind of heaters? What kind of building? Gaspacks? Electric unit heaters? Gas unit heaters? Fan powered boxes with reheat? Is this a Warehouse? An Office building? A manufacturing facility? A little more information would be helpful. Why are you doing this on SUNDAY?
    Lol @ "Why are you doing this on SUNDAY?"

As for the problem
    A)I'm a sparky, not a fire sparky, but HOW MUCH SMOKE is coming off these things??? Smoke detectors are reasonable intelligent, ie they don't go off at a slight puff of smoke, it usually takes a decent amount. (Assuming it's not some kind of VESDA system)

and B) If you bypass part of the fire detection system and are unlucky enough for something to go wrong, then the fine you'll cop will be so astronomical it will need to be printed over two sheets of paper to fit the whole amount in.

Oh, and the fire protection guys will be pretty useful to get out, to answer your question. Depending on your system they might be able to narrow it down to an individual unit causing the problem
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    best way i found when starting a new unit [when it is a rtu ] is leave the panels off of blower compartment and heat xchanger if possible unhook blower contactor and fire it up. works pretty good for most units.
    work to live not live to work.

Post Likes
    put system on stand by and run the unit with all pannels off unill smell goes away
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by local553 View Post
    best way i found when starting a new unit [when it is a rtu ] is leave the panels off of blower compartment and heat xchanger if possible unhook blower contactor and fire it up. works pretty good for most units.
    Unhook blower contactor? I'm not as brave as you. On down-shot rtu's I pull the blower panel and stick it in the supply. On just about anything else I pull the smoke head.
    Last edited by DavyB; 12-07-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: add

Post Likes
    low voltage wires to contactor with power off i am not that brave either.

Post Likes
    low voltage wires to contactor with power off i am not that brave either.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean the power danger. I meant running the furnace without the IBM not functioning. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Post Likes
    it doe's not hurt anything let's you know your limits work lol.

Post Likes
    it doe's not hurt anything let's you know your limits work lol.
    You're right. I should be doing that to test the limits anyways. Just got to pay attention to melting plastic in the area, lol!

Post Likes
    where they covered during the interior construction with those plastic cones...shouldn't be that much burn off on rooftops unless they ran them up in the summer and now you have crap passing over the Heat Xs within the unit..might just be dust hitting the sensors.....
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    where they covered during the interior construction with those plastic cones...shouldn't be that much burn off on rooftops unless they ran them up in the summer and now you have crap passing over the Heat Xs within the unit..might just be dust hitting the sensors.....
    Figured OPie was talking about new install units. Some smoke alot, some none at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in