Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodman heat pump assistance - low pressure cutout

Post Likes
    So you going to use a company to perform a "free" load calculation, purchase the system online, half ass install it yourself, then call that same company and ask them to complete a donkey install of a website system for pennies?

Good luck. I don't know of any GOOD contractor who would agree to this. You may find one but he will more than likely be off Craigslist and your install will end up on the wall of shame.

Please rethink this strategy. Read the following sentence carefully.

A cheap botched base model install will cost you more in repair and electric bills then an expensive correct install with premium equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    So you going to use a company to perform a "free" load calculation, purchase the system online, half ass install it yourself, then call that same company and ask them to complete a donkey install of a website system for pennies?
    No! Sorry if I'm just tickin' y'all off. I said I briefly considered the self install thing but ruled it out; but will use the raw hardware prices as one tool to evaluate & compare whatever quotes I get. And I've got a friend with the load-calc software that would do it for me if I wanted -- should see the Mansion he recently completed!

-w

Post Likes
    I'm not getting ticked. I just want to make sure you are well aware of what could happen if you went that route. I may be a bit more blunt than some other contractors.

I don't think comparing raw material price to your quote is fair. There are many expenses that you (as the homeowner) overlook. Example: training, warranty claims, and many more. I really hope you get a fair price. Get several quotes and pick the best and most competent company (not brand).
    Last edited by Brent Ridley; 12-31-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    I'm not getting ticked. I just want to make sure you are well aware of what could happen if you went that route. I may be a bit more blunt than some other contractors.

I don't think comparing raw material price to your quote is fair. There are many expenses that you (as the homeowner) overlook. Example: training, warranty claims, and many more. I really hope you get a fair price. Get several quotes and pick the best and most competent company (not brand).
    Ya, basically ditto this guy said throughout the thread.

By the way, you have no warranty on any internet purchases.
    They "claim" you have a warranty.
    What they don't tell you, is the warranty is through a third party they have, not the manufacturer.

If you want a replacement part, you have to have documentation that a pro put it in, and diagnosed it.
    Then you send in for the part and wait.
    Then you get the part and pay the pro to come back out and reinstall it.

Or they advance you the part, and you still have to pay to have it installed.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    What alot of people don't understand is the amount of time picking up supplies, time planning and going over all the material, built in 1yr labor warranty even if a part fails that was not their fault, building duct, going back if neccessary, etc. I sometimes spend several hrs on a job before I drive up.

Post Likes
    Everyone is entitled to make a profit and a good living, except the HVAC guys. Now it's off to a restruant to spend $1.79 to $2.50 for a Pepsi with my dinner.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    So, in your professional opinion, what is the preferred way for a customer to thankfully and politely decline a quote?

I got four for a new system. I was pleased with all the guys' professionalism. Only gripe is the company that did the original install quoted Goodman as their inexpensive option -- at a higher installed price than the others offering higher grade gear. But I still think they're a decent operation.

Just don't call them back? Or email a "thank you, but..."? Is explanation of my choice considered constructive criticism, or insulting? Should I mention whom I did go with?

One of the most economical proposals I received was from a contractor that also appears to work to super uptight clean installation standards. He's offering an American Standard system, which he says is re-branded Trane; any thoughts / opinions on the brand? Still waiting on something from fourth -- he's by far the most technical of the bunch, but I'm expecting the highest dollar quote from him (which may still be the best long term value, will see.)

-Thanks, Wayne

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-04-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Brand shouldn't be a concern. Concentrate on seer rating and company. Ask for references. I always take a binder full of past installs and show them while we are talking. Did any of them do a manual J load calculation? If they didn't, find another contractor. A load calculation is the ONLY way to size equipment. We have no way of knowing if one was performed when the original system was installed.

As far as turning down a bid - I would personally love to get an email stating why they picked another contractor over myself. It enlightens me on what I'm doing wrong. But beware, some others may not share this same feeling.

And don't tell them what company (name) beat them out, just explain the reasons for picking the specific company in a polite and courteous way.

Post Likes
    Installation is half of manufacturing. The best equipment installed poorly is garbage, will under perform and can damage your home. American Standard = Trane. Goodman makes decent quality equipment with some of the longest factory warranties in the business.

I'd be interested in knowing why a competitors proposal had more value than mine.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Installation is half of manufacturing. The best equipment installed poorly is garbage, will under perform and can damage your home. American Standard = Trane. Goodman makes decent quality equipment with some of the longest factory warranties in the business.

I'd be interested in knowing why a competitors proposal had more value than mine.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Call them up and tell them.
    You kinda leave the company out on a line when you don't let them know that you've choosen someone else.

If he came out for free to give you a proposal, atleast give him the courtsy to call, that way he's not waiting for your call.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in