Thread: Heat Pumps 1 Stage or 2 Stage?

Post Likes

Heat Pumps 1 Stage or 2 Stage?

I had hoped that my current system would last one more summer, but it didn't. 26 years old, 4 ton, 10 SEER. 3600 SF house with 1600 of the SF in the Basement

I am looking at replacement heat pumps.

One is a Goodman 4 ton, 16 SEER, 9.5 HSPF, Single Stage, Heat pump

the other is:

Amana 4 ton, 16 SEER, 9.5 HSPF, 2-Stage, Heat pump

is the 2-Stage worth the extra $700? everything seems to be the same except the single stage vs the 2-Stage.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Are you replacing your furnace or air handler, too?

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDave View Post
    I had hoped that my current system would last one more summer, but it didn't. 26 years old, 4 ton, 10 SEER. 3600 SF house with 1600 of the SF in the Basement

I am looking at replacement heat pumps.

One is a Goodman 4 ton, 16 SEER, 9.5 HSPF, Single Stage, Heat pump

the other is:

Amana 4 ton, 16 SEER, 9.5 HSPF, 2-Stage, Heat pump

is the 2-Stage worth the extra $700? everything seems to be the same except the single stage vs the 2-Stage.

Thanks

Yes is is worth it...........great upgrade !
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Besides being 2 stage, the Amana unit is a nicer product. Sound deadening top, 2 speed fan motor, Copeland's Comfort Alert control/diagnostics module. But the Goodman ain't too shabby with Copeland scroll under cover, high & low pressure protection.

Post Likes
    Besides the increase in $$$ for the 2-stage heat pump, you will probably also need to spend more $$$ for a variable speed air handler or furnace to go with that 2-stage heat pump. That would be another thing to consider.

Post Likes
    I agree with the Amana option if you're going with a v/s furnace or air handler too. You'll find that without one the efficiency drops too.

Post Likes
    Just had a two stage heat pump with a VS blower oil furnace installed.

Two stage, VS blower, best decision I ever made for the house....... works great.

Post Likes
    Is the Amana an "A" series? if it is it should have the lifetime unit replacement warranty on it to. I think the 2-stage is a pretty nice option especially with a 4-ton unit.

Post Likes

Not yet and Yes

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    Are you replacing your furnace or air handler, too?

I wish I had the money to replace the furnace as well, but not in my budget right now. I have looked at them and saving for a 95% eff. 2 or 3 stage.

For this upgrade I will be going with a new air handler. When I got my quotes, I had the contractors list the parts that would be included in the installation. For the air handler the Amana contractor suggested model MBE2000 and the Goodman contractor said model AEPF4260. I looked them up online to see specs, both models seem to be Goodman parts.

Maybe I need to get more bids. Is getting a higher SEER worth the huge increase in price? 18 SEER? 21 SEER?

Post Likes
    Won't get much of a savings by going 18 or 21 SEER compared to a 16 SEER. A couple bucks only.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDave View Post
    I wish I had the money to replace the furnace as well, but not in my budget right now. I have looked at them and saving for a 95% eff. 2 or 3 stage.

For this upgrade I will be going with a new air handler. When I got my quotes, I had the contractors list the parts that would be included in the installation. For the air handler the Amana contractor suggested model MBE2000 and the Goodman contractor said model AEPF4260. I looked them up online to see specs, both models seem to be Goodman parts.

Maybe I need to get more bids. Is getting a higher SEER worth the huge increase in price? 18 SEER? 21 SEER?
    The reason you see that is because amana wanted to buy the company goodman out, but instead Goodman turned around and pruchased amana, so any new amana you see out there is really a goodman at heart now.
    thats why those models are referencing like that

Post Likes

Ok I'm convinced

I'll go with the 2-Stage compressor and a VS air handler.

not 100% sold on the Amana, if it in fact the same company as Goodman. I wanted quotes from different companies, to get the best product at the best price.

I wish that I could ask good prices here for a complete replacement system and installation rates, but since I can not. I will let my fingers do the walking in the yellow pages with the knowledge that I learned here and see the cost proposals.

Any companies that I should stay away from?

Thanks again for the help,

Dave

Post Likes
    The Amana products that start with A are genuine Amana products, not rebadged Goodmans. Different product. The Goodman SSZ16 is only a 2-stage unit in the 5-ton size.

Post Likes
    The Amana 2 stage HP, is not a Goodman product.
    Goodman doesn't have a 2 stage 4 ton unit in split systems.

They are not the same product.

But you can always get a price on a York Affinity 15 SEER 2 stage heat pump.
    They have an 18 SEER also, but you won't save enough in 20 years to pay for it.

Post Likes
    only advice is make sure that whoever installs it properly stages your heating and cooling. especially for your heat pump end, they should be installing outdoor tstats so your stages run at specific outdoor ambient air temperatures for proper system eff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in