+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Static pressure testing

Post Likes

Static pressure testing

Just wondering how many techs check static pressures on systems in the homes we are servicing.
    How important is it?

Post Likes
    I think its one of the most important things, you can have everything else correct but if your airflow and cfm's are not proper your systems not proper. That can be the biggest reason for fan motor problems, balancing and airflow problems, you have to have that right in order for everything else to be right. Good luck charging and servicing a unit properly with static pressure issues!!

Post Likes
    I try to on any call I can just because I am trying to learn how to understand airflow and how it effects the system.
    ®

Post Likes
    I agree with Air Movers, it is one of the most important things to check.
    At the very least, it needs to be checked and documented when the equipment is first started up, or the first time you service a system you haven't been to before.
    I also note the ESP, blower speed, CFM, supply static and return static on the equipment with a marker.
    That way I have baseline readings to compare it to if I have to troubleshoot a problem later on.

Judging by the complete lack of test holes in literally every system I see, that hasn't been serviced by us before, the percentage of people in my area actually checking static pressures, or even getting the most basic evaporator entering air temperatures needed for correct charging, is very low.

Post Likes
    I think it's a topic many contractors don't want to know about: They've always used 500 SF/Ton and 0.10"/100 feet and they've "never had a problem".

It's good to see people who think otherwise, may your tribe increase.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ferd1942 View Post
    They've always used 500 SF/Ton and 0.10"/100 feet and they've "never had a problem".
    Yeah, if you never actually test anything, of course you "never had a problem".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy4god View Post
    Just wondering how many techs check static pressures on systems in the homes we are servicing.
    How important is it?
    I would say on a routine maintenance inspection Never. And most of the time techs will not check SP across the evap. Over all if you have a steady customer its good to check and to keep records. yes SH, SC and pressures can tell you a lot but SP is good to know.

Post Likes
    Let me tell you why static tests aren't that important.
    A fan curve is plotted from laboratory test data under ideal conditions with NO inlet restrictions.
    Not every fan is tested. Similar fans have curves developed by interpreting
    test data.
    Sometimes they are useful as a design tool
    They represent laboratory data and do not represent measurable performance under field conditions.
    They can be useful in trying to get a probable performance of a fan type.
    You cannot predict the CFM of a fan from lab data because it'd difficult to predict system effect.

This information was gleaned from T&B data of the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Industry.
    I've always thought that too much emphasis has been placed recently on static testing to the point of replacing real T&B instrument testing.
    On T&B reports, static tests were made to inform the engineer but the numbers that really matter are the actual real world performance measurments.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    What are some of the tools you are using to check for proper static? digital versus mag
    nehelic, etc..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Central NC Tech View Post
    What are some of the tools you are using to check for proper static? digital versus mag
    nehelic, etc..
    I use an Alnor velometer with a static probe. Because I don't consider the TSP to be as important as actual air flow measurements almost any instrument such as a magnehelic or a manometer would be ok.
    A lot of emphasis is placed on static measurements by the manufacturers of test equipment. Some make it sound like a one tool fits all and this is all you need. I doubt anyone with a T&B cert would agree with this.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I use an Alnor velometer with a static probe. Because I don't consider the TSP to be as important as actual air flow measurements almost any instrument such as a magnehelic or a manometer would be ok. A lot of emphasis is placed on static measurements by the manufacturers of test equipment. Some make it sound like a one tool fits all and this is all you need. I doubt anyone with a T&B cert would agree with this.
    will you please rephase your second sentence. its a little unclear. thank you very much.....

i am very much interested in air flow measurement and have also seen many inconsistances (sp) reguarding tesp vs capacity checks and also dipswitch settings vs. ecm motors/ cfm
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes

Static Pressure!

I think static pressure is very important. I can understand why some guys use 0.10, but its not very good practice. If you add electric filters ect. then you static pressure will change. The best thing for techs to do is refer to the Manual D If are confused or have any questions.

Post Likes
    Let me tell you why static tests aren't that important.
    A fan curve is plotted from laboratory test data under ideal conditions with NO inlet restrictions.
    Not every fan is tested. Similar fans have curves developed by interpreting
    test data.
    Sometimes they are useful as a design tool
    They represent laboratory data and do not represent measurable performance under field conditions.
    They can be useful in trying to get a probable performance of a fan type.
    You cannot predict the CFM of a fan from lab data because it'd difficult to predict system effect.

This information was gleaned from T&B data of the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Industry.
    I've always thought that too much emphasis has been placed recently on static testing to the point of replacing real T&B instrument testing.
    On T&B reports, static tests were made to inform the engineer but the numbers that really matter are the actual real world performance measurments.
    i agree with what you say in the most part. But when you come upon a system you never worked on, SP is good information to to have. Like whats the pressure drop across the coil or filters, whats the SP at the farthest point in the duct run

In a VAV system, using bypass dampers or VFDs or vortex dampers ect..SP becomes more important. Taking the time to understand pressures is another slice of the pie you shouldn't leave out.

when you go to a job the customer is not waiting there with the last T&B for you to read. Its nice to check a few spots with a electronic manometer. You may be surprised what you find.

Post Likes
    I use an Alnor velometer with a static probe. Because I don't consider the TSP to be as important as actual air flow measurements almost any instrument such as a magnehelic or a manometer would be ok.
    A lot of emphasis is placed on static measurements by the manufacturers of test equipment. Some make it sound like a one tool fits all and this is all you need. I doubt anyone with a T&B cert would agree with this.
    If you don't take a ESP/TESP reading. How do you know how much air the RTU/AH is moving. Not unusual for the supply and return to be moving different amounts of air due to duct leakage.

ESP/TESP readings will tell how much air the unit is moving. But not how much air is being delivered.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you don't take a ESP/TESP reading. How do you know how much air the RTU/AH is moving. Not unusual for the supply and return to be moving different amounts of air due to duct leakage.

ESP/TESP readings will tell how much air the unit is moving. But not how much air is being delivered.
    For the reasons I listed in post #8 the numbers aren't consistently reliable Which is why the numbers regarding the amount of air being moved aren't reliable.
    Again, these criticisms about static testing reliability in terms of real numbers I didn't make up. They are available in TAB publications. My only interest in pointing out possible misinterpretation of the numbers.
    I include static tests in T&B reports, I just don't give them much weight.
    Any tool is useful as long as you know it's limitations. As a quick method of troubleshooting these tests can have value but keep in mind operating conditions are usually different from design and sometimes by a considerable amount.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    will you please rephase your second sentence. its a little unclear. thank you very much.....

i am very much interested in air flow measurement and have also seen many inconsistances (sp) reguarding tesp vs capacity checks and also dipswitch settings vs. ecm motors/ cfm
    Sure.
    I've seen advertisements on Youtube showing the methods for using a digital manometer for TESP tests w/o ever mentioning the shortcomings of the data charts and graphs. The fact that some data is interpolated from another fan is a little unsettling if I am relying on my numbers to be accurate.
    It's the problem of comparing laboratory performance with real world numbers. Again, I think these tests are useful within their limitations.

Post Likes
    Recently, Ive been learning more about static pressure. I serviced a Goodman gaspac with an external static pressure range between 0.1 to 0.5. Does this represent the total static pressure, or supply only?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhicks View Post
    I serviced a Goodman gaspac with an external static pressure range between 0.1 to 0.5. Does this represent the total static pressure, or supply only?
    Total.

One test probe in the supply duct, and one in the return duct, as near to the unit as possible.

Be sure to read blower performance chart notes for specific unit conditions (i.e.- wet or dry coil, with or without filter act...)
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    I appreciate it rundawg. According to my total number, Im within specs. My supply was bouncing from .05 to .10 and return from .20 to .25. Is that typical for return to read higher?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhicks View Post
    I appreciate it rundawg. According to my total number, Im within specs. My supply was bouncing from .05 to .10 and return from .20 to .25. Is that typical for return to read higher?
    I don't think you can call any of it typical, but undersized returns are very common.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in