Thread: Honeywell Mini Zone - Damper Issue

Post Likes

Honeywell Mini Zone - Damper Issue

Hi,
    I'm just a homeowner and know only what I've learned looking at my system for hours. A contractor finished our 3rd floor and installed a Honeywell EMM-3 Electronic MiniZone Panel (http://www.thermostatshop.com/manuals/EMMU.pdf) and from what I can see with my untrained eye we have 3 powered damper controls. In the mini Zone the 2nd floor is hooked up to Zone 1 and the damper wires are sharing terminals M6 and M1 in Zone 1. The wires are both stuck in there, piggybacking. The 3rd floor is hooked up to Zone two and the damper is by itself on terminals M6 and M1 in Zone 2.

Things seem to work fine during cooling, this installation was complete this summer, when Zone 1 calls the Zone 2 damper closes; when Zone 2 calls both Zone 1 dampers close. However, it's just cold enough to have some heat at night and I noticed that when Zone 1 calls for heat Zone 2's damper does not close. When Zone 2 calls for heat both Zone 1 dampers close.

I have tested this by turning on each zone independently while the other is turned totally off. So when Zone 1 is calling for heat Zone 2 is off and should not be calling for heat.

I'm totally confused. Any ideas why the Zone 2 damper wouldn't close when Zone 1 calls for heat, but will close when Zone 1 calls for cool? Something an amateur like me can figure out or am I calling one of the professional guys on this board?!?

Any direction you can give is greatly appreciated!

-Matt
    Richmond, VA

Post Likes
    Are you sure it wasn't in purge mode.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't in purge mode.
    The System LED was red during my testing, which according to the documentation is the heat mode. As I did the tests the purge mode would kick on once I turned off the thermostats...system LED turned orange. Not knowing better I would wait, now I know I can override it.

The heat was running for a while (maybe 2 hours) and it just pumped way too much into the 3rd floor (Zone 2). It was 84 up there, while the 2nd floor was 67, trying to reach 68. This is why I noticed the problem. So the unit should have been well into the heat mode, right?

Post Likes
    Yes.

Time to call the installing contractor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yes.

Time to call the installing contractor.

They're coming on Monday. Thanks for the direction.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in