+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work in Southern CA

Post Likes
    no one in hr left from when Matt was here previous

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Shouldn't he be called 2 Phase or Single Phase?
    Yeah, I should talk to one of the mods about that.

JPSmith.....are you listening?!
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    Lets make it more positive.... Phase Gained?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Do tell....what's wrong - other than losing a phase?
    It goes something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phxhvac View Post
    When is the best time to look for a commercial refrigeration job? When do employers typically hire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    The best time to look for a job, is when you have a job.

I've had 6 or 7 jobs throughout this year.

Although 6-7 is rather exaggerative.

In 2012, I actually only held a job at 4 company's

1st one I quit after 6 years, after becoming unhappy with the company's operations...Your guys company
    2nd one was a small shop that had big plans, but nobody was motivated to do anything about them, so I left
    3rd one was my first gig away from the Market race, a Union gig to boot! in HVAC...turns out HVAC is not my interest, so I left
    4th one (and current one) Union gig at a Market shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Icanfixitall View Post
    Refrigeration companies are always hiring, but if you have been ALL over the place that will tell them that A your horrible or B you have issues. I can't stand when we hire someone that has been to 5 jobs in one year, to me that's saying something about the individual.
    So I'm either.

A: I'm a Horrible Technician

B: I have issues

However, each contractor I have left, extended the option of returning. And most likely not because I'm a horrible technician.

So I'll go with answer "B" I have issues...I have issues with working at company's I'm not happy with working at.

Post Likes
    So I'm either.

A: I'm a Horrible Technician

B: I have issues

However, each contractor I have left, extended the option of returning. And most likely not because I'm a horrible technician.

So I'll go with answer "B" I have issues...I have issues with working at company's I'm not happy with working at.
    Or

C: Icanfixitall is a blowhard who enjoys being a **** on the Internet.

Based on the immature behavior exhibited thus far........I'm going with C.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    what is up with some of these cats today. I mean jesus h kriste. It's like they are intentionally trying to pick a fight. I am trying to come back into the fold here, but man, is it as brutal over here as ever.

Dude you have no clue who and what your talking about. Phaseloss is a very talented young man. I know who trained him, I know who has judged him to be a part of a small group of guys who are thee best at this thing. I know very well what he is, what he is capable of, what he has done, and where he has been.

You have no flippin clue who he is. And you make a blanket statement like that? Why?

Post Likes
    Damn Phase Loss 4 jobs in one year?!? Well at least your getting a feel for everyone... At least your union! Did they make you take any type of test to join?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Or

C: Icanfixitall is a blowhard who enjoys being a **** on the Internet.

Based on the immature behavior exhibited thus far........I'm going with C.

No not a **** at all... Just someone that speaks his mind and does not hide ****. Being fair I have no idea who any of you are on here, but I sure ruffled some feathers when I mentioned a POS company....

Post Likes
    no place on here for this.

Post Likes
    Damn Phase Loss 4 jobs in one year?!? Well at least your getting a feel for everyone... At least your union! Did they make you take any type of test to join?

A union card doesn't make someone a good tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    no place on here for this.
    I'm tending to agree.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    A union card doesn't make someone a good tech.

I never said it does, but if we were all union we would be making a whole lot more in life!

I'm tending to agree.

I'm not sure what I said, I never called anyone out, all I asked was some questions, so I'm confused. Does Obama have control of this board?

Post Likes
    no test

Glad to be union, better benefits, pensions and all

but.......not as much workload out here in the union as the non-union Source.

I get 40-50, where at Source was 50-60

But I can't complain about that

But, hopefully workload comes to the union soon. Safeway's are up in the air at the moment.

Post Likes
    Just out of curiosity are you guys in a union that actually teaches and tests you on refrigeration knowledge?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dangpgt97 View Post
    Just out of curiosity are you guys in a union that actually teaches and tests you on refrigeration knowledge?
    5 years of School, Star exam and a union test (hands on & written). Now if you want to be certified you need to take a class as a journeyman!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dangpgt97 View Post
    Yeah UA Local 250

they have a 5 year apprenticeship class then you can become a journeyman

then foreman- usually supervisors

then general foremen- usually managers and guys who've been in the union a long time as supervisors

Post Likes
    no test

Glad to be union, better benefits, pensions and all

but.......not as much workload out here in the union as the non-union Source.

I get 40-50, where at Source was 50-60

But I can't complain about that

But, hopefully workload comes to the union soon. Safeway's are up in the air at the moment.
    Not sure on what union company you work for but I have friends at Hill and Hussmann and I'm going to interview with Hill next week, my friend gets 45+ a week in the winter over there. My other friend at Hussmann said they are banking on some Vons stores, I sure hope they can get them!

Post Likes
    We got the plumber and stemfitters union. No refrigeration at all. I didn't go through any of it.

Post Likes
    I have a question for you. Do you feel with your apprenticeship, passed Star exam that you are an adequately trained commercial refrigeration technician?

Post Likes
    My apprenticeship training courses in NO WAY prepared me for the job I do every day.

Not the 5 years of schooling

Not the STAR exam

Not the continuing education courses

Nothing.

Now, I've spent my own time, on this site, on the internet, in the books that I compulsively collect and read, on the RSES website reading the SAM manual and you want to talk about education....

So, in short, the union's apprenticeship program didn't do a lot to prepare me for the job that I do today.

Post Likes
    Not sure on what union company you work for but I have friends at Hill and Hussmann and I'm going to interview with Hill next week, my friend gets 45+ a week in the winter over there. My other friend at Hussmann said they are banking on some Vons stores, I sure hope they can get them!
    Hills looking. So best of luck on the interview!

My worry with Hill and Hussmann is, they're large company's like Source. And when the office gets too big....I've seen it first hand, go from good to bad.

I'm at CRS, a small shop down here who's based outta Hayward in Northern Cali.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in