Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How reliable are pumps that are used to drain water from coils and humidifers?

Post Likes

How reliable are pumps that are used to drain water from coils and humidifers?

Had an infinity system installed a few days ago. (See question about how long it should take for an infinity install for details) . They did a really good job, but I have one question. The installation used a pump to carry water from the humidifer and coil to a drain in the basement. Neatly done PVC from coil and humidifer to pump, and clear tubing from pump to drain. I am concerned about the reliability of these types of pumps. How reliable are these types of pumps? What is their life span usually? Also when they fail i imagine it can result in a flood. Some one mentioned a safty wire which is not present? Do they all have them? Also from what I can tell they could have possibly run a gravity feed to the drain as an alternative. I am trying to limit potential problems in the future, and it would seem that gravity beats a pump for that. How much of a big deal is this? Thanks ron

Post Likes
    Biggest problems occurs when the clear tube is pinch..other than that they work well.

Post Likes
    condensate pumps manufactured for hvac have a safety switch built in so that if the pump reservoir fills up without pumping out, it will kill control voltage on the unit to prevent more condensate...they can last for years

Post Likes
    i would prefer floatswitch intalled into the secondary drain of the coil and humidifierif possible though not likely on humidifier and would like to see the float switch built in to con pump hooked up as well. as far as reliability your lines feeding the pump are far more likely to clogand cause a problem before the pump fails.

Post Likes
    a few things first i didnt look for your other thread so dont know whats going on there
    but some condensate pumps do not have safety wire on them the ones we use usually dont because we would rather the customer have heat and a wet basement floor (as long as its not finished) then to shut off heat to keep from spilling water

now if its installed in an attic or living space we use the ones with safety also use switches in the drain pans like already mentioned
    but there should be some kind of safety if you have to worry about the surrounding areas to getting wet

as far as longevity we have had some that have died in a year but most of them last for well over a decade

Post Likes
    Checked and there is wiring hooked up to the pump to turn it off. how often would you recommend the pump be replaced--- every five years?' i can see being away on a winter vacation and coming home to every pipe broken in the house because a pump failure shut off the furnace. Am i being too paranoid? thanks

Post Likes
    Eliminate your worries by running PVC. PVC can be clogged too, though. The advantage is it will last and you can clean it. Ask C-M what their opinion is about the pump vs. PVC.

Post Likes
    We drop these vitamins in those pumps a couple times a year and they seem to last forever

http://www.diversitech.com/applicati...LY-PANPILL.pdf
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Post Likes
    I give up---who or what is c-m?

Post Likes
    Cropp-Metcalfe. Aren't they the company who installed your new Infinity system? Sorry about the abreviation.

Post Likes
    How would you get these into the pump and drain pan? thanks

Post Likes
    Ron, condensate pumps are not all that uncommon. I think as long as you have a safety switch that will shut off the system should there be a clog then you will be okay. About pipes freezing in your home, I highly doubt that. Unless your home has a very high level of outdoor air infiltration, I think your house should stay above freezing.

Post Likes
    No a company called mindte did the work. They don't advertise and rely on word of mouth. Been in business i believe since 1956 .C-m was too expensive. Mindte did a first rate job at a fair price-- not cheap but i didn't have to pay for c-m type company's over head.

Post Likes
    Thanks Mr. Hughes that is good to know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    No a company called mindte did the work. They don't advertise and rely on word of mouth. Been in business i believe since 1956 .C-m was too expensive. Mindte did a first rate job at a fair price-- not cheap but i didn't have to pay for c-m type company's over head.
    You're right. It sounds like you got a good installation as well. I have heard of them and seen their trucks around.

Post Likes
    Condensate pump will only stop HP..Aux heat will still work..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bertqc View Post
    Condensate pump will only stop HP..Aux heat will still work..
    I think he has a gas furnace and an air conditioner, though. PVC may still be the safer bet, but I'll leave that up for discussion among the pros here.

Post Likes
    Not a heat pump installation--infinity gas furnace

Post Likes
    well even though your gas furnace will make water in the winter it will not be nearly asmuch as in ac though. the pump was probably used because the installer was not comfortable allowing just gravity to drain, as low volume drain is very susceptible to swags in the line which can develope over time. your odds are good that you will not have problems but no one can guarranty that , you could put a new pump in once a week and it could fail.

Post Likes
    I think the pump will mainly drain the humidifier in the winter and the coil in the summer. I don't know how much condensate a furnace makes? Anyone out there have an idea about how much condensate an infinity furnace produces. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in