Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding warranty replacement

Post Likes

Question regarding warranty replacement

Hello Pros,

Thanks for taking my question. My wife and I bought a home in February and made sure to negotiate a home warranty into the contract. Now 3 months later our 18 year old (1994 model) Lennox 3 ton gas pack has died. Warranty sent a tech out to look at it, determined it needed to be replaced and we are now getting a brand new unit.

The unit that is being installed is a Payne 3 ton 13 SEER 90kBTU gas pack. We are obligated to pay $xxxx for modifications to duct work, gas line, pad and hood.

Of course I understand that some times who's installing it is more important than the brand of unit it self, but because I can't dictate that I'd like to ask the pro's if the above is comparable to what we had and if the modifications are worth what we've been asked to pay.

Pictures of our current unit are attached. I appreciate any advice.

TIA
    Last edited by Stamas; 06-04-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Post Likes
    I never recommend a warranty replacement through a 3rd party warranty company.

What size is the unit you are replacing?
    What size is your home?
    What is your location?

Payne is a low end system that is typically used for warranty replacements.
    Any idea on the manufacturer warranty?

I personally would ask for a settlement and get the system of your choice from a reputable HVAC dealer.

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    I never recommend a warranty replacement through a 3rd party warranty company.

What size is the unit you are replacing?
    What size is your home?
    What is your location?

Payne is a low end system that is typically used for warranty replacements.
    Any idea on the manufacturer warranty?

I personally would ask for a settlement and get the system of your choice from a reputable HVAC dealer.

IMO

Our current unit is 3 ton, no idea about the SEER. Our house 2100 sqft and we are in SC. Contractor says man warranty is 10 year.

Pay out will not be near the amount we would need to pay another dealer. I guess we're in a pickle and have to hope for the best.

Post Likes
    The deal is probably better than the system itself. Should be mdl PY3G. Make certain you get it registered.

I would want to know the current BTU output of existing system. You might could get by with a 3 ton 70 KBTU model. That would save you in operating costs taking into account a SC location.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Post Likes
    The label in the photos says heat output is 80kBTU. The one they are putting in is 90k.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mwgainesjr View Post
    The label in the photos says heat output is 80kBTU. The one they are putting in is 90k.
    is the new one 90 out or 90 in?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    is the new one 90 out or 90 in?
    Tech just said it was 90 and that it would be "more energy efficient" and help my bill...He said it was Carrier but would say Payne on the side (that threw a flag to begin with).

After researching Payne I'm starting to wonder if the warranty company is holding up their end of the deal to provide the "same quality or better".

Post Likes
    Payne is a rebadged and possibly defeatured Carrier unit. Being low priced, it is a favorite of warranty companies. Like a Lennox, hardly. But you probably better take what you can get unless you take a cash out and get your own dealer which likely will be pricey.

Post Likes
    There is nothing wrong with payne

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    There is nothing wrong with payne
    I'd agree there is nothing wrong with payne.

But I wouldn't say it's in the "same or like quality" category as lennox.

Honestly, mwgainsjr, your gonna get a payne through the home warranty.
    Even if you could get a written letter from the head of ICP (the conglomerate that makes payne) engineering, stamped by a notary in blood, that said their unit was "inferior" to lennox.

Talk to you contractor about a possible upgrade if you seriously want it.

I hate to say this, but your gonna get what you pay(ne) for.

Atleast their installing the same size you had before :-\
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Ok so I called the warranty company to get some info. The warranty company has actually been fantastic and I've had no problems with them. I understood going into buying the house that warranty isn't going to replace a unit with a fantastic brand but I do know they have to match ratings of what I currently have. I figured if it went down, as long as I can get by with what they replace it with for a few (5 to 10) years until after we settle in and get some remodling done we'll be ok and can save later.

Here's what I found out.

1. 2 claims people confirmed that energy ratings have to be matched to or exceed my current unit.

2. The model that is being shipped is a Payne PY3GNAA36090

3. My current unit is Heat I/O 100kBTU/80kBTU. I could tell from the above model # that the new unit is only 90kBTU input. So I did some research and found the new unit is Heat I/O 90kBTU/72kBTU. I've notified the warranty company of the issue and their purchasing is looking in to it. They said the contractor told them what to order. I'm not sure if they've just mixed up input and output and are mistakenly telling me i'm getting higher BTU or they are trying to deceive someone that knows zero. I at least know how to research.

In other words, I'm now back into a wait and see game.

Is there any possible way that I could ask you guys about the modifications charge that's thrown at me? I just want to know if I'm getting ripped a new one. I don't want to "talk price" with anyone. Can I say this and you be able to answer?

New pad, duct mod for new unit, gas line mod for new unit and hood for more than 1k? Am I getting ripped. Just lookign for yes or no. No quotes or numbers or details. Mods will you please allow that?

Post Likes
    Just spoke with the contractor. Says he went with lower BTU output because we would be better off and save on gas. I tend to possibly believe him but not sure if I'm getting the run around.

Post Likes
    Pay out will not be near the amount we would need to pay another dealer.
    It never is, if the HW co. could do this and make everyone happy, there would be no need to use a "cheap" home warranty service co. they would just give you a check and let you deal with it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    It never is, if the HW co. could do this and make everyone happy, there would be no need to use a "cheap" home warranty service co. they would just give you a check and let you deal with it.
    Oh I know, and we knew that going in. Our main concern before buying the house was the 20 yo unit. Our first offer was for them to replace it. Of course they weren't willing to do that, so we got the warranty knowing we could at least not go with out and not have to drop 5k right off the bat. If the Payne will outlast the Mortgage insurance and get the cars paid off I'll be happy.

The guy convinced me to go with the lower btu by using the car analogy (55 or 75, get there sooner or save gas)

I hope I'm making the right decision. Thanks for all your advice. Great forum!

Post Likes
    The guy convinced me to go with the lower btu by using the car analogy (55 or 75, get there sooner or save gas).
    I bet he used to be a gas station attendant, now turned a/c home warranty guy. Does this look like him below?

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I bet he used to be a gas station attendant, now turned a/c home warranty guy. Does this look like him below?

Well says he's been in the business since '62 but I might guess you're close.

Post Likes

The problem

The guy convinced me to go with the lower btu by using the car analogy (55 or 75, get there sooner or save gas)
    I hope I'm making the right decision. Thanks for all your advice. Great forum![/QUOTE]

with this analogy is that in a car you will eventually get to your destination, it just takes longer. With an undersized furnace, you may never heat the house on colder days no matter how long the furnace runs.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I hope I'm making the right decision. Thanks for all your advice. Great forum!
    with this analogy is that in a car you will eventually get to your destination, it just takes longer. With an undersized furnace, you may never heat the house on colder days no matter how long the furnace runs.[/QUOTE]

You may be right. And that would stink. I'm hoping with a 2100 sqft house in the south 72k will heat it. I think it will, but then again, I'm not the expert.

Post Likes
    Well says he's been in the business since '62 but I might guess you're close.
    Tell him Mr. Bill has this analogy about him, if he has been in business since 62, and it's not a hand me down from Mom and Pop, and he is still doing home warranties, he must be reading "How To Be Successful" out of a Government issue handbook.

Post Likes
    Tell him Mr. Bill has this analogy about him, if he has been in business since 62, and it's not a hand me down from Mom and Pop, and he is still doing home warranties, he must be reading "How To Be Successful" out of a Government issue handbook.
    haha....His business profile online says he's been in business for 2 years. I'm guessing he worked for a company, started his own business and is doing warranties. I own my own business too. Five years and there was a time when I had to take the crap work that others sent me. You gotta get there some how. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt I guess. I don't have any choice in the matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in