+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Boiler Question

Post Likes

Boiler Question

As a High School student hoping to get into the field,I have been doing some additional research on boilers.

One question I have is this; "Under what conditions must a boiler be under a 24 hour watch?"

Both schools I have attended use boilers for hot water heat, and only have staff present during the day.

Thank you for your time and assitance in answering my question.

Post Likes
    It depends...

Around here, if a low pressure boiler is fully automated, it does not require an operator. Hi pressure boilers require an operator during operation.
    If a facility is a 24/7 operation they'll have somebody there. Something like a school may not as they would shut down daily and nut run around the clock.

Post Likes
    For the most "all encompassing" answer, refer to the rules set by each state.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stea...ient=firefox-a

Asking questions is a great way to expand your knowledge.. If I may be so bold, aim higher than you think you can achieve.

A person that sets a low goal will achieve their goals easier but will find them less rewarding....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy2734 View Post
    It depends...

Around here, if a low pressure boiler is fully automated, it does not require an operator. Hi pressure boilers require an operator during operation.
    If a facility is a 24/7 operation they'll have somebody there. Something like a school may not as they would shut down daily and nut run around the clock.
    Thanks for the reply.

So all high pressure boilers require an operator, even if they are fully automated?? If so, why??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

So all high pressure boilers require an operator, even if they are fully automated?? If so, why??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c-wOGOr0io

Post Likes
    Is an operator required for both Steam boilers and hot water boilers??? I always thought that operators were required with steam only...?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Is an operator required for both Steam boilers and hot water boilers??? I always thought that operators were required with steam only...?

Thanks.
    Most cases above 15 PSI Steam.

The reason for the non specifics is because different locations have different rules.

As an example, a hydronic heating water boiler here in California requires two low water cut outs.

GT

Post Likes
    the word "operator" gets tossed around too easily. There's some guys that are nothing more than switch flippers unfortunately... or sometimes maybe management has them doing other things that they feel are more important.

then stuff like this happens
    http://www.ipemaritimes.com/bxpl.pdf

NYC Department of Buildings requires a licensed engineer for hi pressure boilers.

NYC Fire Department handles the low pressure boiler operation. There's also a DEP Air pollution certificate for residual fuel oil.

Post Likes
    See above.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies.

Another question I have; " Are high pressure boilers used only in older properties"?? It seems that this method of heating hasn't been used in new construction for 30+ years. Are there any newer buildings that utilize this type of heating??

Currently, all new construction appears to be electric heat strips. I would appreciate your insight. Thanks

Post Likes
    nope.

You'll see it still in New construction.

Hospitals, Colleges, large apartment complexes, utility companies, factories.

It's still around

Post Likes
    nope.

You'll see it still in New construction.

Hospitals, Colleges, large apartment complexes, utility companies, factories.

It's still around
    How new?? I've never visited any building heated by steam or hot water, that wasn't 50+ years old.

However, I have read case studies of buildings built in the 1970s that used boiler heat. It is my quess that boiler heat fell out of use in the early 1980s, from then on it was all electric heating elements in new construction. Am I right?

This is simply my theory, from the limited obsevation I have as a high school student. Any additional input is appreciated!

Post Likes
    Much has to do with what part of the country you are in, gas, electric, oil, propane. I see steam boilers going in brand new buildings....mostly hospitals. Steam is very efficient, no pumps..per se.

I think steam is a lost art because so many people are scared of it and do not understand how a simple steam trap works. Therefore they do not get maintained resulting in comfort issues.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    How new?? I've never visited any building heated by steam or hot water, that wasn't 50+ years old.

However, I have read case studies of buildings built in the 1970s that used boiler heat. It is my quess that boiler heat fell out of use in the early 1980s, from then on it was all electric heating elements in new construction. Am I right?

This is simply my theory, from the limited obsevation I have as a high school student. Any additional input is appreciated!
    Electric heat is (and should be) one of the least used heating types you will find.

Steam, as dangerous as at can be if not respected is very efficient and effective. Well at least when compared to strip heat....

GT

Post Likes
    When you say new construction, are you referring to a specific type of building?

A lot of the skyscrapers in Manhattan don't have boilers. They run off of con-ed steam. Hospitals and colleges here generally have their own plants. There's also a handful of rather large apartment/co-op complexes here that still run hi pressure steam.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Electric heat is (and should be) one of the least used heating types you will find.

Steam, as dangerous as at can be if not respected is very efficient and effective. Well at least when compared to strip heat....

GT
    This past summer I was an apprentice building engineer at an office tower in my area. The building is 15+ storys and is completely heated by electric heat( Heatrix Boxes).

Post Likes
    If I remember correctly, you're in Texas? How much heat do they actually need, what's the normal winter temp down there?

It's not rare for buildings in cold climates to be running chillers or economizing/free cooling during winter months. Some buildings have enough of a heat load to warrant that with all of the electronic equipment and people.

Post Likes
    This past summer I was an apprentice building engineer at an office tower in my area. The building is 15+ storys and is completely heated by electric heat( Heatrix Boxes).
    Didn't say it wasn't done, said it was the least common... I have seen many hotels with electric heat strips in the fan coils then they use chilled water for cooling, but the average temperature in the area is about 65*F and the common areas are heated mostly by hot water coils that are on a boiler system.

In many cases the utility situation dictates what type of system gets used... Natural gas, Co-op steam, solar power etc...

Bet that monthly utility bill was a killer in the winter.

GT

Post Likes
    When you say new construction, are you referring to a specific type of building?

A lot of the skyscrapers in Manhattan don't have boilers. They run off of con-ed steam. Hospitals and colleges here generally have their own plants. There's also a handful of rather large apartment/co-op complexes here that still run hi pressure steam.
    Isn't Con Edison Steam used only in older buildings as well?? Wouldn't the newer buildings in New York, most likely use electric elements, or heat pump?? I have heard others in the field say that no newely constructed buildings will install steam or hot water heat, because of the size and maintaince that a boiler entails.

I greatly appreciate the diffrent opinions.Either way, it is an interesting discussion topic related to this field.

Post Likes
    Like GT Jets said, that electric bill would be crazy. Steam is alive and well in NYC

Who exactly told you that no buildings will install steam or hot water heat? Maybe they were referring to your area? If electric heat is the cheaper of the options then yeah, I can understand that. But that doesn't apply here nor many other places.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in