+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I get tired of following my own company

Post Likes

I get tired of following my own company

I did my research before I started working for this company and everyone recommended them, it's coming up on three years and I'm embarrassed by what a see at work on just about a weekly basis. This is a shop that didn't even know about superheat and subcool until I started there but little did I know it was much worse... All of these pictures are from our jobs and everyone of these is good customer who pays on time.

We installed the indoor unit and "charged" the unit. It was lbs over charged with 30*subcool, no superheat and this was how the disconnect was left.
    Attachment 272251
    This is the boss's son who installed this one, no disconnect, hadn't rubbed through the coating yet
    Attachment 272261
    "serviced" bi-annually
    Attachment 272271Attachment 272281
    Control board we "installed" fell out when I opened the panel.
    Attachment 272291
    4 month old motor, set screw never installed.
    Attachment 272311
    Commercial account that had maybe 75 units and all the blower wheels looked like this, 1in3 were overcharged and running no superheat
    Attachment 272321
    This customer paid for a gas valve, inducer motor and box the inducer mounts on because of rust and failure... No one checked the heat exchanger
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340658981.006238.jpg
Views: 3059
Size:  36.7 KB

If I took a picture of every occurrence I would have easily a couple hundred by now, just of my company. I let my boss know each time without being rude or accusatory and he just doesn't seem to care. I hope to open my own business in the next few years because I get tired of seeing hard working people who don't know any better get hack work that they pay a premium for, in some cases like the wire run straight into the unit the customer will actually get charged for a disconnect and liquid tight because my boss will say that it was put in the same way as the old one or that those codes didn't exist when the unit was installed... In 2009! I keep my head down and try to do good work on my jobs but it was finally too much so I turned here to get it off my chest.

Post Likes
    Might be good job security for you. On the other hand it might get old explaining why your co-workers do crap work when the customers start to complain.

Post Likes
    That is a tragic , brutal story man. I admire you for getting up and dealing with that each day it has to be difficult. Commercial work or your own business is what I advise .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    I did my research before I started working for this company and everyone recommended them, it's coming up on three years and I'm embarrassed by what a see at work on just about a weekly basis. This is a shop that didn't even know about superheat and subcool until I started there but little did I know it was much worse... All of these pictures are from our jobs and everyone of these is good customer who pays on time.

We installed the indoor unit and "charged" the unit. It was lbs over charged with 30*subcool, no superheat and this was how the disconnect was left.
    Attachment 272251
    This is the boss's son who installed this one, no disconnect, hadn't rubbed through the coating yet
    Attachment 272261
    "serviced" bi-annually
    Attachment 272271Attachment 272281
    Control board we "installed" fell out when I opened the panel.
    Attachment 272291
    4 month old motor, set screw never installed.
    Attachment 272311
    Commercial account that had maybe 75 units and all the blower wheels looked like this, 1in3 were overcharged and running no superheat
    Attachment 272321
    This customer paid for a gas valve, inducer motor and box the inducer mounts on because of rust and failure... No one checked the heat exchanger
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340658981.006238.jpg
Views: 3059
Size:  36.7 KB

If I took a picture of every occurrence I would have easily a couple hundred by now, just of my company. I let my boss know each time without being rude or accusatory and he just doesn't seem to care. I hope to open my own business in the next few years because I get tired of seeing hard working people who don't know any better get hack work that they pay a premium for, in some cases like the wire run straight into the unit the customer will actually get charged for a disconnect and liquid tight because my boss will say that it was put in the same way as the old one or that those codes didn't exist when the unit was installed... In 2009! I keep my head down and try to do good work on my jobs but it was finally too much so I turned here to get it off my chest.
    Do we work for the same co???? I know exactly how you feel and do the same thing you do. Its hard being stuck in the middle between the customer and company.

Just today I went to a no cool on RTU that was "PM'ed" a few weeks ago. Unit iced up SOLID, freeze stat unwired and belt broken off. Thats just a small example from my place.

O ya every install charged with no scale, no SH, no SC. Just ya these pressures look good!

Post Likes
    Wow, you might wanna consider gettin' your own truck sooner rather than later

Post Likes
    How do they stay in business?????
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    These companies usually thrive. Hell put a Jesus fish on your vans and trucks,with John 3:16 or whatever it is,offer senior discounts, 39.95 tune-ups,slick radio and TV ads saying all your employees pass a drug screen and background check, with testamonials from braindead customers, and financing with no money down and $99.00 a month, the masses will flock to your door.

Post Likes
    Man I could not feel your pain anymore than I do . I'd swear If I swore that we must have run the same calls. It tends to get really annoying at times. Being in to much of a hurry and this what you get .

Post Likes
    Thats just sorry worksman ship. The grass will be greener on the other side for sure in this case. The worst thing about that is you get put in the situation where eventually some customers are going to start asking questions. You can only sugar coat things so much before you have to start throwing people under the buss. Good Luck!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AC5096 View Post
    These companies usually thrive. Hell put a Jesus fish on your vans and trucks,with John 3:16 or whatever it is,offer senior discounts, 39.95 tune-ups,slick radio and TV ads saying all your employees pass a drug screen and background check, with testamonials from braindead customers, and financing with no money down and $99.00 a month, the masses will flock to your door.
    No sadly this company was built on reputation, the owners father in law was allegedly a reputable service man who ran a one man show and was a very likable guy. The owner spent a couple years working at a competitor and decided to start his own shop, at the same time his father in law retired and referred all his former customers to him. This is now considered one of the best companies in our area out of about 10 companies. What I've found is they are all hacks, I've been keeping a notebook I write any ideas for my "company" in, from what type of vehicle to use, capacitors sizes, to software for customer database. I feel like if I plan it right I could take over a lot of there customers.

Post Likes
    this boils down to CYA. YOUR name is on every single invoice! If anything bad happens, you're the guy that takes the fall.

Post Likes

Confused

i deal with the same thing every day... hell these guys get in no trouble for just walking away oh it will be ok the next guy (me) will fix it...
    show up to a call several techs been to and were there hours and hours and no results. i show up 30 mins an hour and say yes mam your fixed.. well why did the other guys take so long and not fix it? no clue mam , next time just ask for me... tons of request..

Post Likes

Good Work Van

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    No sadly this company was built on reputation, the owners father in law was allegedly a reputable service man who ran a one man show and was a very likable guy. The owner spent a couple years working at a competitor and decided to start his own shop, at the same time his father in law retired and referred all his former customers to him. This is now considered one of the best companies in our area out of about 10 companies. What I've found is they are all hacks, I've been keeping a notebook I write any ideas for my "company" in, from what type of vehicle to use, capacitors sizes, to software for customer database. I feel like if I plan it right I could take over a lot of there customers.
    I just started my own company and I am hoping to get one of the new Ford (Sprinter knock off) Transit T-250 (not the connect) vans, when they come out in 2013. Supposed to have a wonderful diesel. Hope that helps you plan!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KCJN832 View Post
    I just started my own company and I am hoping to get one of the new Ford (Sprinter knock off) Transit T-250 (not the connect) vans, when they come out in 2013. Supposed to have a wonderful diesel. Hope that helps you plan!
    Thanks for the info, I've been looking at used sprinter vans but I wouldn't be starting a company until 2013-2014 anyway so they should be out by then.

Post Likes
    What's wrong with all that? Looks good to me ...., lol

I would quit. Even if you do good work your guilty by association.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Post Likes
    I'm afraid that's the sign of the times
    They don't take the time to properly train these guys anymore.
    It's all about the money ! The last place I worked , the service manager was previously a used car salesman. No A/C experience at all .

Post Likes
    Yep shoddy workmanship. Your'e fighting a losing battle if the boss empliys his son.

It looks like a bunch of guys with a bad work ethic and thats difficult to remedy if not impossible.

Fear is a good motivator to help inspire the lazy technician.

With out it nothing is going to change.

Post Likes
    Not all son's whom work for their fathers are lazy techs or hacks. However I can agree that the majority are.

I see nothing but dollar signs in all of those photos. It truly is a shame that alot of other techs don't and your stuck fixing it after it could have been a billable repair.

I worked a new construction gig for awhile and all I did was go around and fix all the mistakes the sub contractors made. I hated going to work. So I feel your pain. You just got to fight thru it until something better comes along.

Good luck op

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AddMore22 View Post
    What's wrong with all that? Looks good to me ...., lol

I would quit. Even if you do good work your guilty by association.

I'd quit, period.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    I bet during your interview they stressed about how much quallity work they do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in