+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holmes On Homes- Holmes & H-VAC Guy both read their anemometers as showing CFM

Post Likes

Lightbulb Holmes On Homes- Holmes & H-VAC Guy both read their anemometers as showing CFM

Holmes On Homes; last night again Holmes & the H-VAC Guy both read their anemometers as showing CFM Volume when they were showing FPM Velocity. (Rerun?)

It was a floor diffuser, didn't get a good look at it but was either a 4X10 or 4X12.

Initially said it was delivering 410-cfm/which was FPM; Hart&Cooley show a 4X10 as .17-Ak Free-air-area, which is 81.6-CFM.

Final was stated as 671-cfm which was actually FPM; .17Ak * 671-FPM is 114-CFM.

A 4X12 yields .195-Ak * 480 is 93.6-CFM; 671-FPM * .195-Ak is 130.8-CFM.
    Ak is free-air-area of the diffuser.

The FPM Velocity would be astronomical if that .195 or .17-Ak were flowing 671-CFM,

I wish they would get it right from here on... Please...
    Last edited by udarrell; 08-15-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Typo...

Post Likes
    Not an expert but he plays one on TV.

Post Likes
    Whew, that register would have been whistling at 671 cfm! It would have sounded like a jet engine.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    Not an expert but he plays one on TV.
    Yeh, like Alec Baldwin 'played a pilot' before.

Post Likes
    hey darrel, good catch, that's why you make the big bucks, holmes, comes across as a guy who never makes a mistake, he's the only guy in the world, that can do it right, and even if there isn't a problem, he'll find it. it's good, he's trying to educate the publlic, but again, the dude comes off, as a know it all! and if he bid originally on most of those jobs on T.V., he's never get them jmho!

Post Likes
    I saw the same show and was looking for a place to respond to Holmes about this error. Every time I see them measuring airflow it has always been showing fpm and not cfm. I can understand Mike not knowing but the hvac company is clueless also. They also do not use the meter correctly for measurements. No traverse done on the register.

Post Likes
    Also every time the HVAC guy was using Mastic, Mike said he was taping it up. Yeah also when i saw those numbers which where suppose to be cfm readings, I was thinking forget the meter, you should be able to hear that with that much air flow.

Post Likes
    homes need to stick with driving nails

Post Likes
    I like Holmes, he's okay & I enjoy his programs, however, I wish they would do a whole lot better when it comes to H-VAC content in their programs!

Post Likes
    Darrell - you should offer up your services to him - you certainly have the chops!
    Seriously, you never know, he may be looking for someone that actually knows this stuff, as opposed to the current "pro" he has has following him around.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Holmes On Homes; last night again Holmes & the H-VAC Guy both read their anemometers as showing CFM Volume when they were showing FPM Velocity. (Rerun?)

It was a floor diffuser, didn't get a good look at it but was either a 4X10 or 4X12.

Initially said it was delivering 410-cfm/which was FPM; Hart&Cooley show a 4X10 as .17-Ak Free-air-area, which is 81.6-CFM.

Final was stated as 671-cfm which was actually FPM; .17Ak * 671-FPM is 114-CFM.

A 4X12 yields .195-Ak * 480 is 93.6-CFM; 671-FPM * .195-Ak is 130.8-CFM.
    Ak is free-air-area of the diffuser.

The FPM Velocity would be astronomical if that .195 or .17-Ak were flowing 671-CFM,

I wish they would get it right from here on... Please...
    It's because in his part of the world (north) it is heating dominate and the plumbers are all hvac guys also..... and they run the duct (single wall pipe usually......... WTF?.....It is always hilarious to watch the "duct work" installs and comments.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    I like the show and watch it often. However I always have said, When money is not the issue then of course you can do everything "RIGHT". Why don't they tell how much the job would cost the homeowners if they actually had to pay the bill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by countrykid78 View Post
    I like the show and watch it often. However I always have said, When money is not the issue then of course you can do everything "RIGHT". Why don't they tell how much the job would cost the homeowners if they actually had to pay the bill.
    I think in that episode, he and his right hand man said it would have cost 50K to do all they did.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I think in that episode, he and his right hand man said it would have cost 50K to do all they did.
    hey the reason they called holmes, was they where saving money by hiring there sons buddies, at 10% of what the real cost of the job would be!

Post Likes
    I remember watching a episode of Holmes on Homes. The HVAC guys mounted a bypass humidifier on the return drop with the humidistat below the humidifier.

-Mark

Post Likes
    hgtv is doing their job, cause we all watched. you have to admit, that guys house will be better, i dunno about perfect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by countrykid78 View Post
    I don't think that's always the case. Some of it is cutting corners, a LTO of it is just poor workmanship or ignorrance.

I like the fact that at least he's in the right direction. He's recommending proper sizing, proper sealed ducts runs, measuring airflow and balancing the system. He's corrected coutless HWT vent issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I don't think that's always the case. Some of it is cutting corners, a LTO of it is just poor workmanship or ignorrance.

I like the fact that at least he's in the right direction. He's recommending proper sizing, proper sealed ducts runs, measuring airflow and balancing the system. He's corrected coutless HWT vent issues.
    I agree with you. But if you or me went out there and told homeowner it will be 50,000 to repair they would tell us no way. When its free because you are on a tv show then hell yes just tear it all out and start over.

Post Likes
    He does get a little extreme is his repairs. But it makes for a good show. "Tear it all out!". Some of the places he goes to have some pretty bad issues.

I should show him the elevated deck I have hanging over a bluff behind my house. Its' pretty scary. Nothing like a wobbly deck with severla broken and spongy boards when you've got a 25-35' drop below you. He'd tear that puppy down and start over. I plan on doing that next Spring... but will probably re-use the steel piers and a keep the new one simple. He'd probably repalce it with something 3X the size with 3 levels and a stariway down to the bottom.

Post Likes
    I thought of this thread tonight watching Sunday's episode I recorded.

Left picture is the HVAC tech who said he was getting 481 CFMs (which stands for Cubic Feet per Minutes) out of his 2x12 floor register. That's impressive, bet it howled! Guess he can't read where his Testo clearly says FPM. Wonder if he knows the diff?

Right picture is when Mike tested it. Now, he didn't say what he was measuring but was talking about how it increased so much. His meter clearly says velocity on it.

He also talked about how the taping & caulking dropped the temperature by 30%. Gee, if the A/C was one for the first 25.5°C reading (78°F) then that poor HO has a problem on his hands. Even the 30% that might was crowing about is pathetic. That's 64° supply. Guess we better hope the return air was in the mid 80s! He'd be shocked at what the Tappan puts into my house Even during the heat wave it was usually in the low 50s!

Mike was also complaining about lack of combustion air to the utility room. He was right, the dryer and WH need it. But he also squawked about the furnace needing it. I guess he doesn't know what that 2nd white plastic pipe feeding the furnace is for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in