+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fieldpiece

Post Likes
    I'm in the market for a new meter, and right now, the only ones I'm looking at are Fieldpiece. Still haven't quite decided which one to go with.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by northstarair View Post
    I'm in the market for a new meter, and right now, the only ones I'm looking at are Fieldpiece. Still haven't quite decided which one to go with.
    Here's the meter that's becoming one of our most popular meters. We get tons of great feedback on it.

http://youtu.be/q71dNMIa-gY

Post Likes
    SC 76 or SC 77... everything you could want or need.

The 77 has a lighted display and does true RMS volts. All other features are on the 76.

Only thing missing IMO is a magnet to hold it up... however I just clamp the amp-clamp around something and it is right where I can see it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I already have a fieldpiece amp,temp,volt etc. it just does not do micro volts-DC for flame sensor testing, I wanted something a little smaller, is the Fluke 116 just as good?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Tomorrow is the day I purchase. Still havent fully decided, but my old craftsman meter is no longer trustworthy. When you get readings of 300A on a blower motor that has a rating of 4A, you know your meter is toasted

Post Likes
    Tomorrow is the day I purchase. Still havent fully decided, but my old craftsman meter is no longer trustworthy. When you get readings of 300A on a blower motor that has a rating of 4A, you know your meter is toasted
    FP hs36, I love this meter and trust it with my life daily.

Post Likes
    I'm leaning towards the 77.

Post Likes
    I'm leaning towards the 77.
    I prefer the SC56 over the SC77. The swivel clamp make life easier.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    I prefer the SC56 over the SC77. The swivel clamp make life easier.
    I found out the other day that the temperature function on my SC56 doesn't work. I loved that meter until I discovered this, now I'm not so sure about the build quality. I typically toss a meter in the dumpster if one of the functions quits or gets out of whack because I no longer feel that I can trust the remaining functions either. If anyone wants it I'll take 100 bucks for it. I accept paypal.

Post Likes
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 01-30-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: double post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    I found out the other day that the temperature function on my SC56 doesn't work. I loved that meter until I discovered this, now I'm not so sure about the build quality. I typically toss a meter in the dumpster if one of the functions quits or gets out of whack because I no longer feel that I can trust the remaining functions either. If anyone wants it I'll take 100 bucks for it. I got it shortly after they were released, so it's definitly used and has some cosmetic wear, but it isn't beat up either. I accept paypal, and will post some high res pics upon request.
    What doesn't work on it? Is the range off or does it not read at all?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    What doesn't work on it? Is the range off or does it not read at all?
    It doesn't read at all. Sometimes it'll flash 32 degrees for a second before blanking out. On second thought, I had better check out all of the functions before selling it to anyone. I haven't used all of the functions recently, I mainly use amps, ac volts, ohms, and capacitance. I should probably test them all for accuracy using my Fluke 289.

Post Likes
    It doesn't read at all. Sometimes it'll flash 32 degrees for a second before blanking out. On second thought, I had better check out all of the functions before selling it to anyone. I haven't used all of the functions recently, I mainly use amps, ac volts, ohms, and capacitance. I should probably test them all for accuracy using my Fluke 289.
    might be a loose connection in your thermocouple

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    might be a loose connection in your thermocouple
    Naw, it isn't that. I tried several different t-couples and even took the back off the meter. Nothing was loose. I tried the calibration screw and could get it to read for a few seconds with it turned all the way to one of the stops, but it would still blank out and then of course wasn't registering the correct temperature either, so I gave up on it. It's just broken. A also installed a new battery but that didn't help either.

Post Likes
    Other than when I was checking out all the features when I first unboxed it, I've never actually used the temperature function of my SC56.

Post Likes
    It doesn't read at a . I should probably test them all for accuracy using my Fluke 289.

Fluke 289..USA made... I could not agree more. And at $500 a pop it says quite a bit about the quality of tools the buyer owns.

Post Likes
    Do you try to short it out if it will read a cold junction. Not sure if it works like that on this meter.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    The SC77. The sheer jump in quality and trust in my meter has been significant. Next fieldpiece purchase will likely be a set of SMAN3 or SMAN4 manifolds. Probably in a few months

Post Likes
    Still got my 8 year old SC66...works every time.

Post Likes
    I have been using a SC76 for over a decade... just found the DC volts does not seem to work well anymore. Would not have known other than checking a battery... never use DC volts.

I have an SC77 for a backup... rarely use it. One of these days the 76 will die and the 77 will become the main meter.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in