+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop Walters

Post Likes
    Ladies and Gentlemen I would consider it an honor to introduce to you Mr. Walters or “Pops” to most of us that know him. Pops was born on May 1, 1930 and during his teen years in Alabama stoked coal for the local packing plant. He went on to actually graduate the 3rd grade before his father died and left he and his brother to work so their Momma could keep the house and dinner on the table and work two jobs of her own.

Pops worked many odd jobs but he always came back to and loved HVAC / R. He settled in with a local company doing residential installs and service for the better part of 20 years. When this and several other companies he worked for had used him up and dried his bones he took placement with a large Hotel chain near his home town. This is where I met Pops back in 1986 as I was running a crew to install a couple of new revolving ovens in their bakery. Pops would check us in everyday and make sure we had everything we needed. He would also bring us snacks and take us to lunch to be served by his long time friend and wife, “Granny” Walters or show us where all the best places to go at night before they rolled in the sidewalks at 8 PM sharp and closed the small town.

Granny ran the employee kitchen where Pops would get an earful each time one of her coolers didn’t close right or her oven burned one of her state wide famous homemade pies. Although we stayed there a week installing the new ovens but it seemed only a few days and I wanted to stay longer and I knew I would miss Pops and Granny Walters down home charm and mouth watering cooking.

I stayed in touch with Pops and Granny and dropped by his trailer when ever I could when passing through and always found him in reasonable health and still wanting to talk all about the new refrigerant types and blends. For this reason (his love of) he took the HVAC-Talk site name of “Retro” and has been lurking here for a number of years faintly posting but when he did you knew there was a presence behind the screen. He celebrated his life with positive energy and kindness unsurpassed by any human I have ever known. You could always bet there would be a dollar bill for each of his grandkids in his pocket and a gleam in his eye with deep love in his heart.

Pops “Retro” Walters died last night from a massive heart attack. He leaves behind his friend and wife Granny, two grown children, 7 grand kids, and a slightly scratched gold watch from his Hotel retirement and his favorite old green fishing hat.

Pops, thank you for being you. I love you and will miss my old friend.

[Edited by Lusker on 03-08-2006 at 07:55 PM]

2. Likes kdean1, mofotech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Very nice tribute, Lusker.

I could only hope that someone would say the same about me someday.

Sorry for the loss of your friend and a bro H-talker.

Post Likes
    he's gone to that great despatcher in the sky whom will send him on his last call
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Wonderful send off Lusker. Having recently lost one of my older buds, this brings a tear to my eye. Now don't go emailing me what a puss I am again
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by benncool
    Very nice tribute, Lusker.

I could only hope that someone would say the same about me someday.

Sorry for the loss of your friend and a bro H-talker.
    you not afraid to ask are you?

Post Likes
    A celebrated and well-lived life. You're the best thing someone could ask for-a friend to remeber him always.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes

Ditto's

Originally posted by otto
    A celebrated and well-lived life. You're the best thing someone could ask for-a friend to remeber him always.

We all have a short time here, but our deads should be around for a long time.....
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    Nice tribute... Sorry for the loss to his family.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2˘.

Post Likes
    Sorry to hear that, Lusker. I remember the username. It was an old one, IIRC, I'm pretty certain he was on board here before me. Seemed like a decent sort, never said a whole lot...

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Good news...

Grand child #8 named after Pops. A whopping 9 lbs 2 oz baby boy.. bald as his granddad.

Pull out the cigars and give a puff for "Little Bill"

Thanks guys

Post Likes
    The emotional cycle of life. It's life.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Lusker
    Good news...

Grand child #8 named after Pops. A whopping 9 lbs 2 oz baby boy.. bald as his granddad.

Pull out the cigars and give a puff for "Little Bill"

Thanks guys

Whew..... I thought for a second there they named the baby Pops. Could you imagine the teasing he would get.

Post Likes
    Nice tribute Lusker. Sad to hear and a terrible way to go. My families thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Post Likes
    Congrats on the baby.

Remembering Pops, I used this tidbit of advice from him, and they came out great
    Originally posted by Retro
    I boil mine in cheap beer for a couple of hours until they are tendar. Fall off the folk tendar. Let themcool with BBQ sause mixed with lemon juice and honey. Grill on med to med/low flame to glaze the honey and warm the rib meat.

And before anyone asks, I lurked a while before I posted.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Great tribute Lusker-brought a tear to this tired eye. May we all be so fortunate as to be remembered thus.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes
    Granny just simply had the best lemon and coconut pies ever. She loved to cook and put her personal touch on every thing she made. Mrs. Smith's Apple pie you ask?... No way that could touch Granny's. Simply the smell would bring the neighborhood kids running to her from miles away.

I bring more news as Granny Walters didn't wake from sleep this morning.

Lord bless her as she and Pop are finally together again.

I know you guys don't know them but since posting this a few years ago some may appreciate the follow up.

Truly a great Christmas gift for Pops and Granny. She would have liked a positive spin to her passing.

Thanks again guys.

Post Likes
    Lusker,

Sorry for your loss.......

My families thoughts and prayers are with you and family.

Chris

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    Granny just simply had the best lemon and coconut pies ever. She loved to cook and put her personal touch on every thing she made. Mrs. Smith's Apple pie you ask?... No way that could touch Granny's. Simply the smell would bring the neighborhood kids running to her from miles away.

I bring more news as Granny Walters didn't wake from sleep this morning.

Lord bless her as she and Pop are finally together again.

I know you guys don't know them but since posting this a few years ago some may appreciate the follow up.

Truly a great Christmas gift for Pops and Granny. She would have liked a positive spin to her passing.

Thanks again guys.
    And God bless them.They are back together once again and happy I'm
    to be I sure.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in