Thread: wishing to convert to natural gas furnace

Post Likes

wishing to convert to natural gas furnace

I am thinking about converting from an oil burning furnace to natural gas. Let me give you some history: We live in Connecticut. The house is circa 1929. Present furnace is 26 years old. Radiators are the old cast iron water filled type. Two story (not including the unheated cellar or attic) colonial house, exterior is brick on first level & steel siding on second level. After doing some calculations based on the previous year, I estimate will be be filling the oil tank at least once a month during the heating season. At a cost of apprx $1000- yikes!!! I have had 2 plumbing contractors look at the situation and am getting differing opinions. I'm quite confused. Contractor A spent 1 1/2 hrs with me. He recommends a high efficiency unit made in Germany (can I mention the brand?)with the device that measures the outdoor temp. He also suggested venting directly to the outside because our chimney is so old & the possiblity of condensation buildup- or we could have a liner installed at additional cost.
    Contractor B spent 15 min with me. Said we probably don't need a chimney liner. Only discussed the direct venting when I brought it up. Recommended a furnace made in NY state. He said the very high efficiency units are not worth the extra $.
    I haven't received exact estimates from either contractors yet but it sounds as if contractor A will be more expensive. He does have a reputaion as being more expensive for general plumbing jobs.

Can anyone give me advice?
    Thank you

Post Likes
    Are you switching to nat gas, or to propane.

I would recomend a mod/con boiler.
    I prefer the Weil McLain Ultra boiler for gas.
    It comes with OD reset, and can reduce fuel consumption to a lot less then a standard 80% boiler.

Oh, and it is ok to mention brand names. But no prices.

PS, mod/con boilers are direct vent.

Post Likes
    We would be changing to nat gas. What does mod/con mean? and, OD reset?? Sorry, but this is a foreign language to me! The furnaces that are being recommended are: Contractor A- Buderus (1st hoice) and Wel-McLain (2nd choice) ; Contractor B- Utica mgb.

Post Likes
    Modulating, condensing.
    Mod, the amount of gas consumed varies by the water temp, as the temp of teh water increases, the burner lowers it capacity.
    Con, it removes enough heat from the combusted gas, that the water vapor condenses back to liquid form.

OD reset, Outdoor temp reset, is when the boiler/burner only heats the water up to the min temp need to heat the house at that outdoor temp.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the education! Any opinions on the other 2 furnaces- Buderus or Utica?

Post Likes
    The Buderus is a good unit also. No experience or training on the Utica, so can't tell you about it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The Buderus is a good unit also. No experience or training on the Utica, so can't tell you about it.
    I also prefer Buderus boilers, I'd stay away from the Utica boilers. I've seen numerous casting problems with them, but they may have changed their castings since then.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in