Thread: ArmorCoil/Outdoor Aerator System against formicary corrosion?

Post Likes

ArmorCoil/Outdoor Aerator System against formicary corrosion?

I have personally spoken to several HVAC technicians about sulfur gasses out of a well entering your home and in the A/C and cause formicary corrosion to the evaporator coil. Are the sulfur gasses the only harm to your coil?

1.The retired tech, my neighbour that installed my new 13 SEER Rheem Package unit(old one was only 7 years old!) advised me to install an Outdoor Aerator System to remove sulfurgasses from my well water.

2.Another Tech advised me to spray the coil with ArmorCoil(www.armorcoil.com) to protect the coil.

Any advice from anybody? Obvious the ArmorCoil will be the most economical way, or are there any other suggestions?
    My new unit was installed 4 days ago and I would like it to last longer than 7 years.

Ron

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks for the link Mark, I have been watching threads about increasing failure rates on coils and felt it was due to the manufacturers' design. Now I can see where there are other causes that are more likely at fault. Seems like they could come up with something like the anode rods that are used in water heaters and underground gas lines. A sacrificial metal?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZZRSC View Post
    Thanks for the link Mark, I have been watching threads about increasing failure rates on coils and felt it was due to the manufacturers' design. Now I can see where there are other causes that are more likely at fault. Seems like they could come up with something like the anode rods that are used in water heaters and underground gas lines. A sacrificial metal?
    That could help with galvanic corrosion, but wouldn't do a thing for the types of corrosion we see in indoor coils.

There is a lot of info out there on formicary corrosion if you Google it. That report by Carrier pulls a lot of it together and makes it more understandable to the average person though.

I wish the link I had for the original source Carrier got all those tube crossection pictures from. The original report had labels for the brand each crossection was taken from. If you ever see it, you will see why Carrier chose to drop the labels from the pictures.

Post Likes

thanks

Thanks for the interesting link, definately worth reading.since I have an outdoor package unit I think the biggest problem is moisture here in the south,the humidity.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in