+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Split Help!!!!!

Post Likes

Mini Split Help!!!!!

Hey guys Ive been coming to this forum to read up when Ive had questions for years. Today I had to sign up because I have a customer who has me pulling my hair out. First problem is that he is a Mechanical engineer, second he called me but doesn't know why he called me, and third he has a wad of cash to blow. He wants his 1200sqft house outfitted with minisplits in 3 beds the kitchen and living room. No problem right???? Wrong he doesn't want a multi zone set up using one condenser, he wants an individual inverter condenser for each room. yes that's five condensers!!!!!!!!!!!! he is swearing that it will be way more efficient this way. I'm telling him he has lost his mind all together. I'm trying to explain that running five appliances will always be more than running more. At this point he whips out a four page calculation he did. I'm not joking. And then tells me he was given my number because I'm the guy who will get done and get it done right. (oh flattery) I told him I would do it but would not grantee that he will get the results he wants. Then i told him i need a day to do some research before we sign any paper work. What's your take on this???? By the way walls have 4" foam open cell, attic has 12" closed cell, windows are all insulated and have sun shades. Also has a 6 inch fresh air duct with dehumidification and double filtration that he designed and installed him self. All electric appliances. In New Orleans.

Post Likes
    lol
    pretty sure no matter what u do it will not be good enuf for him....say goodbye and wash your hands of him....

if not...repost in six months and let me know!!!!!

Please, Please Please......keep the Factory Smoke in the Wires!!!!!

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Post Likes
    Well, he has a point. The single zone units are available in significantly higher efficiency than the multizone units.

Really put a dent in his pile of cash and sell him 5 Daikin Quaternity units.

Post Likes
    If you dont walk away from it you will spend every saturday night for six months at his house working on nonexistent problems everytime a cricket chirps or he hears a noise he will be blowing your phone up thinking something is wrong or it is a half degree off of his estimated temperature drop or some bs he will be calling you

Post Likes
    walk away or he will own you and drive you insane

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by njtinman View Post
    walk away or he will own you and drive you insane
    I would definitely second that! Every customer I have ever had that said I was there because they only trusted me or blew all kinds of sunshine up my skirt about how awesome I was, ALWAYS turned out to be THAT customer. If you take it give him a 10 page detailed proposal and make enough on it to be happy that you just got a new " friend".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Take the job. Install Mitsubishi High Heat units. The higher heat output is not available in the multi-zone units. Do as has already been suggested and make sure you specify in your contract precisely what you will do, as well as just what your warranty obligation and limitations are. He's going to spend more money for 1:1 units but that's what I'd want if I felt heating costs were a priority.
    I would mention to him the limited tax credit for air to air units and the far larger tax credits for geothermal.

Post Likes
    or let him spec it out and you install..since hes a genious

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    or let him spec it out and you install..since hes a genious

someone who knows what he wants and has the cash to buy it.
    he's a friggin dream customer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Install Mitsubishi High Heat units. The higher heat output is not available in the multi-zone units.
    I'm thinking that in Lousyanna, the humidity setpoint control on Daikin Quaternity systems would be more of an advantage than Mitsubishi's higher heating capacity.

Post Likes
    Well i told him today that Friday I would present him with a couple different proposals for different options and that if he wanted me to do the work he would have to choose one of those. I'm trying to sell him on fujitsu, daikin, or mitsubishi. I can easily get these brands in my area. Thats when he made the comment that it would not only be more efficient with independant units but also if the A/C went down in one part of the house the rest would not be effected. He has a point there and I can understand that. But now my question is still, will it be more effecient with independant systems? Thats my main concern, I pride my self on being able to cool and heat a home in the most effeicent ways available to me amd my customers. And i'm not sure if my thinkingt is correct on this, but it seems to me that the more units you have the more power they will consume. For instance if you have five units running off 115v with a 16 seer energy rating they will use more power than a single quad zone 16 seer 230v unit and one single zone 16 seer 115V unit. Is there something wrong with my thinking it costs more run more units??? Personally I'm running two fujitsu tri zone 18 seer set ups at home. one for the bed rooms, the other for the common areas.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I believe with the smaller compressors cycling and higher seer single units will run much cheaper (10-20% less)
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm thinking that in Lousyanna, the humidity setpoint control on Daikin Quaternity systems would be more of an advantage than Mitsubishi's higher heating capacity.
    I'm not familiar with the Daikin or humidity setpoint control. Does it differ from the Mitsubishi "dry" setting?

Also, is the customer by any chance also a pilot? They love redundant systems. As long as he knows several individual systems will cost more than a couple multi-zones I don't see it as a problem.

Post Likes
    So what's the load on a 1200 sq ft foamed house in NO? One ton?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    So what's the load on a 1200 sq ft foamed house in NO? One ton?
    based on his needs 1.5tons.

Post Likes
    So what does he want? three, .5 ton splits? That seems silly.

I am thinking... RUN fast as you can. He will own you.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    We settled on one three zone Fujitsu Halcyon set up and one dual zone Halcyon set up. that way the bed room s can be heated and cooled independantly of the rest of the house. So I think all are happy with this arrangement. But most of all I'm happy I can give him exactly what he wants and still be able to take pride in doing a clean professional install. All it took was to sit down with him calculate his energy consumption for his "independant zones", then calculated the set up I wanted to do and boom goes the dynamite. It would have saved him a whooping 10% but cost him an additional 60% upfront. Which means he wouldnt see a return for atleast 10years. I know at my house when I changed to mini splits my August bill went from 422.00$ in August of 2010 to 260.00$ in August 2011. I could prob get it lower if I added stucco over my brick but I already have foam in my walls so stucco will have to wait.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Daikin or humidity setpoint control. Does it differ from the Mitsubishi "dry" setting?
    The Quaternity systems will control the indoor RH to an actual setpoint.

Post Likes
    you may be less to run one 3 zone system but if it goes down it will be 3 time the money to repair i'm not fully committed on mufti zone because of problems with a lg model that so for lg can not fix

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carsafterwork View Post
    I'm not fully committed on mufti zone because of problems with a lg model that so for lg can not fix
    LG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in