+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sman micron gauge

Post Likes

Sman micron gauge

While I am fully aware of the advantages of evac through an isolated system (not through your manifold), I was wondering what you guys think of the micron gauge built into the manifold. Does it seem accurate? Reliable? Do you think the sman4 is worth the extra money if doing evac through your manifold versus the 3?

Post Likes
    Oh boy ..here comes another debate with JP....

Firstly, you are right when you say an isolated hook up is best...but if your manifold is tight and leak free and you use vacuum rated hoses ..go ahead and use a manifold. It's your time...it just takes longer. But don't rely on the built-in micron gauge of any digital...none of them are as good as using a dedicated micron gauge.

Sman4 is a good manifold if you want to evac a system. So is Testo ....alot of guys like DigiDrools...sorry that's Digicool.

The SMAN 4 is worth the extra money because it is a dedicated evacuation manifold and has a lot of features.

Now let the fun begin.

Post Likes
    Manifolds have many places to leak, making it quite difficult to ensure 100% leak free.

Minimize the number of potential leaks.

If an SMAN is all ya got, it'll do, but we all know what the proper way to do it is.

Manifolds or, more precisely, the 1/4" hoses are also much more restrictive.

This increases evacuation times.

So, if you've got time to waste (I know I don't), enjoy the somewhat masochistic task of trying to ensure that all of the seals, gaskets and such on a manifold are tight and have the extra cash to buy a second micron gauge as suggested, I say go for it.

Post Likes
    kangaroogod You may want to consider the difference in maintenance/cleaning of one that is built in vs a stand alone since you are basically scrubbing down the manifold and connection as well as the sensor. You need to use much more cleaner more frequently with one that is built in and it takes more time. It seems like a consensus of guys with them and post here possibly bought one thinking it was a good idea but now say I wouldn't buy one if you wanted to use the micron gauge effectively in the field. IMO the wireless in the 4 makes the 3 obsolete. The choices from Fieldpiece IMO would be a 2 or 4
    To answer your question to me they do not seem accurate or reliable.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies.. I didn't think about the 2 option. I am setting up 8 techs with tools and wanted to spend their money wisely. I'm thinking sman2 and bluevac,, thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Manifolds have many places to leak, making it quite difficult to ensure 100% leak free.

Minimize the number of potential leaks.

If an SMAN is all ya got, it'll do, but we all know what the proper way to do it is.

Manifolds or, more precisely, the 1/4" hoses are also much more restrictive.

This increases evacuation times.

So, if you've got time to waste (I know I don't), enjoy the somewhat masochistic task of trying to ensure that all of the seals, gaskets and such on a manifold are tight and have the extra cash to buy a second micron gauge as suggested, I say go for it.
    Thank you Dr, Phil

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Thanks for the replies.. I didn't think about the 2 option. I am setting up 8 techs with tools and wanted to spend their money wisely. I'm thinking sman2 and bluevac,, thanks
    Might be better off with Testo 550. They don't need to calibrated before each use to guarantee accurate SH and SC reading.

Don't get me wrong, but the guys who own the Sman products will (or at least should ) calibrate their SMAN before each use. This is just the price of ownership of an SMAN product. I own SMAN 3 and 4 and (also TEsTO 570 and 557 kits) find the speed of the SC and SH is worth the extra amount of time it takes to calibrate them.

How ever, in the hands of a hired tech you may find some reluctance to go thru the calibration process with each use.

Testo 550 price is about the same as Sman 2.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    kangaroogod You may want to consider the difference in maintenance/cleaning of one that is built in vs a stand alone since you are basically scrubbing down the manifold and connection as well as the sensor. You need to use much more cleaner more frequently with one that is built in and it takes more time. It seems like a consensus of guys with them and post here possibly bought one thinking it was a good idea but now say I wouldn't buy one if you wanted to use the micron gauge effectively in the field. IMO the wireless in the 4 makes the 3 obsolete. The choices from Fieldpiece IMO would be a 2 or 4
    To answer your question to me they do not seem accurate or reliable.
    Did you calibrate them?

Post Likes
    I have an SMAN3 but I never use the vacuum gauge on it. The refrigeration hoses are not reliable because of their off-gassing and permeability and the ball valve ends.
    I use a Bluevac with Appion TEZ8 and Appion vacuum hoses (3/8") for evacuation. Also some Nylog for the connections. This has almost completely eliminated any problems and speeds the process.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post

Might be better off with Testo 550. They don't need to calibrated before each use to guarantee accurate SH and SC reading.

Don't get me wrong, but the guys who own the Sman products will (or at least should ) calibrate their SMAN before each use. This is just the price of ownership of an SMAN product. I own SMAN 3 and 4 and (also TEsTO 570 and 557 kits) find the speed of the SC and SH is worth the extra amount of time it takes to calibrate them.

How ever, in the hands of a hired tech you may find some reluctance to go thru the calibration process with each use.

Testo 550 price is about the same as Sman 2.
    This is precisely why I'm clearing k-type thermocouples out of the truck.

Ain't nobody got time for that...

Especially when the technology to operate without having to calibrate sensors is so readily available.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is precisely why I'm clearing k-type thermocouples out of the truck.

Ain't nobody got time for that...

Especially when the technology to operate without having to calibrate sensors is so readily available.
    Just a matter of what u like I guess,

I can calibrate my Sman in no time. Just used to it.

I use my Testo too..with the amp clamp and the air probe and the printer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Digi-Cool AK-900 and BluVac would be the wisest money spent IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Digi-Cool AK-900 and BluVac would be the wisest money spent IMO
    Why is it better? Even excluding the micron gauge The 570 and sman 4 do more than the DC.

I don't see an elderly gent beating on an empty plastic case as a motivation to buy.

Post Likes
    Why is it better? Even excluding the micron gauge The 570 and sman 4 do more than the DC.

I don't see an elderly gent beating on an empty plastic case as a motivation to buy.
    reliability.....
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes

I didn't say anything about something being "better" You did. Hell he might want to have a target SH calculator built in for all his guys I don't know then the SMAN would be better for that. At the very least do the math on eight units. See what "Special" features he wants and see if something special is worth the extra money and extra patience it will take to learn the "special" features.
    Just a guess but sounds like these are all first timers when it comes to digital gauges and they might want something that is easy to use.
    FWIW kangaroogod the first time I picked up a testo 550 I couldn't even figure out how to turn it on and I had multiple digital gauges before that. testo is not the easiest unit out there to navigate and I've owned or used everyone you are reading about in this thread unlike clover.

Post Likes
    One thing he may like about the Digi-Cool AK-900 is being able show someone to use the thing with just the power button. Turn it on and you are reading everything. No multiple screens and button pushes or menus to dig into

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    reliability.....
    Never had a prob with my Sman 4 or my Testo 570.

The reliability argument does not stand up from where I am standing

Post Likes
    Never had a prob with my Sman 4 or my Testo 570.

The reliability argument does not stand up from where I am standing
    Do a search on this forum.. There are many threads reporting issues with SMANS and Testos compared to Digicool.

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes

Post Likes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in