Thread: Considering Payne Heat Pump...

Post Likes

Considering Payne Heat Pump...

I have never worked on a Payne unit. I have never even seen one installed. I bought a new house and I'm considering installing a Payne unit because it's the sharpest price.

What do you guys think? Good or junk??

Post Likes
    I put a few of them in a few years back, and they seemed like a pretty good unit.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dixie2005 View Post
    I have never worked on a Payne unit. I have never even seen one installed. I bought a new house and I'm considering installing a Payne unit because it's the sharpest price.

What do you guys think? Good or junk??
    i put a bunch of them in when i was in miami

never really had any problems with them

they are basically a builders grade unit!

Post Likes
    Yeah, it's builder's grade Carrier...good stuff, I have used them here and there. I hope that "sharpest price" doesn't also mean a less than quality install....you gotta remember...equipment is only as good as who installs it!
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Yeah, it's builder's grade Carrier...good stuff, I have used them here and there. I hope that "sharpest price" doesn't also mean a less than quality install....you gotta remember...equipment is only as good as who installs it!
    Well, I think I'll do my own installation. Unless I can con someone else into doing it - but not likely! haha.

Post Likes
    They never seemed to me to be (what people generally call) "builders grade" like some other brands I won't mention.

Post Likes
    You can't get any cheaper built than a Payne. Well, you can, the Lennox Merit series is about as poorly built & protected. At least the lower end of Bryant & Carrier are better built, better cabinet, coil protection... There's a reason they are the cheapest and the darling of the home warranty industry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You can't get any cheaper built than a Payne. Well, you can, the Lennox Merit series is about as poorly built & protected. At least the lower end of Bryant & Carrier are better built, better cabinet, coil protection... There's a reason they are the cheapest and the darling of the home warranty industry
    So you wouldn't recommend this unit then baldloonie?

Post Likes
    As a tech, you should be able to get a good deal on a higher end unit.

Post Likes
    How does the Goodman GSH14 compare to your Payne price? The 14 SEER Goodman has a Copeland scroll compressor, optional TXV in the air handler, and gets good performance numbers for EER/SEER/HSPF. 10 years parts warranty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie2005 View Post
    So you wouldn't recommend this unit then baldloonie?

They are probably one of the lowest price units available. They are light also...not to heavy at all. I don't like the piston in the service valve thing...but I guess that has it's advantages to. One good thing they don't install filters inside the case...Mine would come with one to be attached along with a sweat in flare fitting. I stopped using them I felt like if someone bumped into it it would sorta just collapse......totally my opinion though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As a tech, you should be able to get a good deal on a higher end unit.
    that's true. and you are right, i can get a good deal on a york or lennox too. it'll work out to be about $ more though and that's why i was considering the payne. i've heard mixed reviews locally and thought i would post on the forum to get some additional opinions. i think the consensus is in, and i think i will opt for the york.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-11-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Price

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in