+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rack flooding

Post Likes

rack flooding

Hello everyone. Went on a call and found all compressors off on ofc and refrigerent mixed wiht oil in crankcase(saw it in site glass). so, I kileed power to all the compressors and toggle switchesand starting with compessor 5 front seat suction service valve and slowly open the valve once compressor was running .I did this to all the compressors along with heating up the bodywith a torch and then cutting on toggle switches slowly until rack was up and running,however did not get to find out what happento cause the floodback was rushed out to do another call.This is first time i come across this,if i could have stayed to complete the call how could this floodback have found ,what are some things i could look for. a by the way a paraelle rack system .

Post Likes

rack flooding

well this is a call that will come back to you. there are multiple causes for flooding,are all the evap fans on all the equipment, was there a power failure before hand, does the cases and/or walk-ins have good air flow ie anything frozen up. Is the rack mid temp or low temp? some more info is needed on this

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly123 View Post
    well this is a call that will come back to you. there are multiple causes for flooding,are all the evap fans on all the equipment, was there a power failure before hand, does the cases and/or walk-ins have good air flow ie anything frozen up. Is the rack mid temp or low temp? some more info is needed on this
    meduim temp r-22 was called out didnot get to adress the issues of air flow ect. was called out on another call.wanted to know things to look for thank you for replying have some were to start now if i get the call again.

Post Likes
    Bad fans, frozen cases and TXV's flooding back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    meduim temp r-22 was called out didnot get to adress the issues of air flow ect. was called out on another call.wanted to know things to look for thank you for replying have some were to start now if i get the call again.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes

rack flooding

Hopefully you can get back soon, the thing about rack systems is , they won't take hits of flooding like that for long. then it's multiple comp changes , which usually ends up happing on the weekend. best of luck

Post Likes
    If the rack has a controller see when the high suction started and you can maybe trace it back to a circuit maybe coming out of defrost.

It's a start.

Post Likes
    you had a rack flooded out that bad, and someone rushed you out of there?

That's pretty foolish.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    you had a rack flooded out that bad, and someone rushed you out of there?

That's pretty foolish.
    Thats about what i was thinking.. Even after u got it up and going say u did have to leave you shouldn't be waiting for the call when it breaks again you should have been back there the next day..

Post Likes
    As previously noted, it is a serious condition that should not have been left. One possibility could be a stuck 3/8" check valve in 1 of the cases allowing liquid to bypass the txv full time, seen that a few times. If so you've likely been called back already??
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes
    I agree with all that was said.Also it's not hard to find the system that's
    floodeding back fire that rack up and watch the suction line's .Ive also have
    also seen it where someone will shut off the evap fan's when working the box.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    what type of controler - ECI was famous for getting stuck for a day or so till the rack was an ice ball and just a simple reset would get it flying again, not including putting all systems through a manual defrost and clearing all ice

is this a single system set up or loop system and the type of controler would help out here and as ststed before i would make a point to let my supervisor know what i have found and return ASAP, it does'nt take to much for a flooded system to knock out a compressor or 2, then all hell will break loose on you butt for not bringing it to someone's attention with some real smarts and get on top of the situation and even if its you to go back and take your licks trying to figure it out.... these situations are the best teachers where your on your own, GET YOUR ASS BACK THERE SOME HOW AND LEARN
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Post Likes
    ECI is famous for refer temp sensors failing. case controllers set up to maintain a specific temp difference from refer inlet to refer outlet. EEV's wide open and cases flooding. I've spent many days just going thru stores, changing sensors. I've seen compressor discharge lines frosting and heads iced up and compressors still running. Can't remember why we didn't trip oil safeties. AAH, Gotta love refrigeration!!!

Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CommtechinVA View Post
    ECI is famous for refer temp sensors failing. case controllers set up to maintain a specific temp difference from refer inlet to refer outlet. EEV's wide open and cases flooding. I've spent many days just going thru stores, changing sensors. I've seen compressor discharge lines frosting and heads iced up and compressors still running. Can't remember why we didn't trip oil safeties. AAH, Gotta love refrigeration!!!

Bill
    Amen to that

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes

Rack flooding

Hey jaybee whats the 411 on this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly123 View Post
    Hey jaybee whats the 411 on this?
    Yes what's up.

Post Likes
    Well didnot go back . An jorneyman did and when I ask did he find the floodback he had no answer. As far as i know it came in again and all the person did was get the rack going . Well, if i have to go back i got good info to go back with . So the 411 is it's an unresolved issue, but then again im just a dumb appr.

Post Likes
    ice, or frost automatically doesn't mean flooding.

Post Likes
    well it might meduim temp system,iced up compressors common suction, 4 of five compressors are off on ofc and there is refrigerent visible in sightglass at the crankcase call has came back 2 times ,again just a guess didnt measure superheat at the comp.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    ice, or frost automatically doesn't mean flooding.
    dow this is true its just another tool I use to start.

Post Likes
    jaybee is this a loop system ? ie commom suction and a common liq feeding
    many cases. or is a single system feed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in