+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: micron gauge

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob
    I may be inclined to change my tune if Joey D sends me one to test, free of charge.

Sadly, I had to return the tester.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I will wait to see how many people are still using their bluvac gauges 5 years from now. There was one guy on here who said he was on his 3rd bluvac in about a year, yet he was still proudly proclaiming "I'll never use anything else!"
    Well my BluVac is just a little over the one year mark and still performing flawlessly in the field for me. I retired my Thermal Engineering Super Vac Check-II, a CPS VG-100A and a JB DV-22N when I got the BluVac and I never looked back once I put them in comparison.

Accutools has really changed the standard when it comes to vacuum indicators with their unique technology. There simply is no other vacuum indicator now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AirTechMech View Post
    Well my BluVac is just a little over the one year mark and still performing flawlessly in the field for me. I retired my Thermal Engineering Super Vac Check-II, a CPS VG-100A and a JB DV-22N when I got the BluVac and I never looked back once I put them in comparison.

Accutools has really changed the standard when it comes to vacuum indicators with their unique technology. There simply is no other vacuum indicator now.
    I'm right at one year with mine as well. No complaints.

One thing I hated about the Thermal, it simply won't work in cold weather. I have used the Bluvac down to 0°F and it works flawlessly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob
    You've got me there. I don't have any first hand experience with the bluvac gauge. The only experience I have is with several *other* digital gauges, and none of them have even come close in terms of repeatability and reliability. Whenever I see as much chatter about something like I have with the bluvac, my skeptical nature causes me to reflexively dismiss it as hype. I will wait to see how many people are still using their bluvac gauges 5 years from now. There was one guy on here who said he was on his 3rd bluvac in about a year, yet he was still proudly proclaiming "I'll never use anything else!"

I was just trying to inject a little humor with the picture... No disrespect intended, you know I've got a great deal of respect for your knowledge and experience, JP... We just happen to disagree when it comes to digital gauges and micron gauges.
    I have a BS detector like that, too.

I initially dismissed digital gauges and such just like you.

But the sheer numbers of people and absolute vehemence with which they stood by them swayed me and I took the plunge.

Post Likes
    allenb if you are still looking I was going to be selling my Thermal after I calibrate it with my BluVac.
    Between that and the other repairs I made to the internal wiring it is better than new IMO.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I may be inclined to change my tune if Joey D sends me one to test, free of charge.

As much as I would love to send you a freebie, Tech Rob, what would I do without my detractors keeping these threads going?

I've actually given a number of them away over the past 2 years for evaluation purposes...and the feedback has always been superlative. But, if it's all the same, I'd like to start making some money by selling some of them! Thanks for the thought, though.

Post Likes
    Which Bluvac are you guys using? The Standard one or the LTE? I'm thinking about buying one, just not sure which model.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Which Bluvac are you guys using? The Standard one or the LTE? I'm thinking about buying one, just not sure which model.
    Hi, 270wsm.

The BluVac and BluVac LTE are both built upon the same 'engine'. They each have the same speed and accuracy, both have the oil/calibration indicators, and can both be recalibrated to factory specs using your freezer.

The main differences between the BluVac and LTE is that the BluVac has additional "productivity" features, including a "leak rate" indicator, an ambient temperature indicator (to 0.1 C/F), and programmability (it allow you to automate the evacuation process). In addition, the BluVac has 0.1 micron resolution below 10,000 microns, where the LTE is 1 micron resolution throughout the entire range of 0 to 25,000 microns.

Which ever one you decide to buy, I stand by our gauges, and will help you with any problems you may encounter, to the best of my ability.

Thanks for your interest!

Post Likes
    Quick question, joeyd.

When the BluVac needs calibration, will it just quit like it does when it is oil contaminated or does it give an alert but continue to function?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Quick question, joeyd.

When the BluVac needs calibration, will it just quit like it does when it is oil contaminated or does it give an alert but continue to function?
    The oil sensor operates continuously, and will allow the gauge to function normally (with the OIL indicator on) until contamination becomes so extensive that proper operation cannot be guaranteed. Then the gauge gets locked out until it is cleaned.

The calibration check must be activated manually by pressing and holding the power key during power-on (as detailed in the owner's manual). Cal GOOD means the gauge is in calibration, Cal SOON means the gauge is operative, but calibration is not guaranteed. There is no lockout for calibration.

Slight oil contamination could make the calibration check indicate SOON. It is always a good idea to clean and dry the sensor (with alcohol, then pull a quick vacuum) prior to calibration, though this is not strictly necessary (the calibration process itself accounts for any changes in the sensor, including accumulated contamination).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    As much as I would love to send you a freebie, Tech Rob, what would I do without my detractors keeping these threads going?

I've actually given a number of them away over the past 2 years for evaluation purposes...and the feedback has always been superlative. But, if it's all the same, I'd like to start making some money by selling some of them! Thanks for the thought, though.
    That's ok... Your loss

Maybe I will try the LTE one of these days. I don't need all of the other whiz-bang gimmickry. I want something that will show me a number when I hook it up and turn it on. That is all.

I don't get the need for an oil sensor or a leak rate indicator. If the thing is held upright, and you don't apply any pressure to it, there is no way oil is ever going to get in that sensor. If I hook up the micron gauge and it says 2000 microns, I'm going to do one of three things... That is 1) change the pump oil, 2) go get another cup of coffee, 3) pressurize the system and look for a leak. It's not like I'm going to sit there looking at the leak rate indicator going "Hmm, well, even though it's at 2000 microns, the bluvac says the leak rate is 0... I guess we can go ahead and charge it!"

No disrespect intended... Obviously you're doing something right if you've got half of this site brainwa... I mean using your gauge.

I also want to add that I think it's very cool for you to get on this forum and interact with the folks using your tools, answering questions, and offering instantaneous support. That is very rare and quite invaluable these days!
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    That's ok... Your loss
    Maybe I will try the LTE one of these days. I don't need all of the other whiz-bang gimmickry. I want something that will show me a number when I hook it up and turn it on. That is all.
    And that is why we decided to release the LTE...there are many (most?) that don't need the features the BluVac provides.

I don't get the need for an oil sensor or a leak rate indicator. If the thing is held upright, and you don't apply any pressure to it, there is no way oil is ever going to get in that sensor.
    You are a careful pro! Not all of your peers approach the job in the same way (no offense to anyone!). I've been making tools for 20 years, including micron gauges, and I've seen some of the things that can go wrong. I try to address these issues with each new product. Micron gauges are easily contaminated with oil, and most will just hum happily along without telling you there is a problem (and that the readings you are getting are inaccurate). Over-pressure events do occur...why should you have to send back a gauge for repair in that case? Since the vacuum sensor itself is exposed to ambient gas and it is operated at a high temperature, it can be expected to change over time. Why should you have to keep a second gauge on hand to confirm this, or have to send your gauge back to the factory for recalibration?

If I hook up the micron gauge and it says 2000 microns, I'm going to do one of three things... That is 1) change the pump oil, 2) go get another cup of coffee, 3) pressurize the system and look for a leak. It's not like I'm going to sit there looking at the leak rate indicator going "Hmm, well, even though it's at 2000 microns, the bluvac says the leak rate is 0... I guess we can go ahead and charge it!"
    At least with the BluVac you can have confidence that the readings you are getting are accurate, and that any problems are not the result of a faulty gauge!

No disrespect intended... Obviously you're doing something right if you've got half of this site brainwa... I mean using your gauge.
    No offense taken! Believe it or not, I often get better feedback from skeptics than I do from the choir (though I do greatly appreciate my choir! ). I appreciate your comments more than you could know!

I also want to add that I think it's very cool for you to get on this forum and interact with the folks using your tools, answering questions, and offering instantaneous support. That is very rare and quite invaluable these days!
    I have found that interaction here is very much a two-way street. I learn things that I wouldn't have otherwise discovered myself, and can use that to help me develop better products in the future. At the same time, I can help you all to get the most out of the existing products I offer. Thank you for your participation!

Post Likes
    You're welcome! Thanks for the well-thought out reponse! Does either one of the Bluvac gauges come with a case? A case with a nice little foam insert would be great. This is one of the things that REALLY burns my @$$ about other high-end instrument manufacturers... They don't offer most of their meters and instruments with cases, and if you want to buy one separately, bend over and grab your ankles!
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    You're welcome! Thanks for the well-thought out reponse! Does either one of the Bluvac gauges come with a case? A case with a nice little foam insert would be great. This is one of the things that REALLY burns my @$$ about other high-end instrument manufacturers... They don't offer most of their meters and instruments with cases, and if you want to buy one separately, bend over and grab your ankles!
    I keep my Bluvac in a compartment of my Appion Megaflow case. It also has a space where I keep my Nylog. I don't mess around when it comes to pulling a vacuum.

Post Likes
    Joeyd, do they both have the same screen resolution? What is the warranty?

Post Likes
    We've had such requests already.

Currently, there is no case/pouch for the BluVac. We are working on a number of accessories for the BluVac/LTE, in addition to creating an evacuation "kit". I don't have any details or release dates at this time, but I will let you know when the info is available.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Joeyd, do they both have the same screen resolution? What is the warranty?
    If by "screen resolution" you mean the resolution of the micron reading: no, the BluVac has 0.1 micron resolution from 0 to 9,999.9 microns, and 1 micron resolution from 10,000 microns to 25,000 microns. The LTE is 1 micron resolution from 0 to 25,000 microns.

If you mean the 'physical' characteristics of the actual display, they both use the same blue-backlit LCD display.

Full details are available at:

http://accutools.com/index.php?page=...subpage=bluvac

and

http://accutools.com/index.php?page=...page=bluvacLTE

Post Likes
    I can see the BluVac sitting very nicely in a small Pelican case.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Not exactly sure it would be that one in particular, but one very similar to it.

Post Likes
    Joeyd... pardon my ignorance (as I have only been a registered user for about a 10 days now) but I don't quite understand your relationship with the BluVac. Do you (with your own two hands) actually manuacture the BluVac gauge or is this an instrument of your own engineering and design? I have this picture in my mind of you running service calls all day long, only to go home and sit at your garage/basement workbench, assembling micron gauges, one at a time, component by component all by hand, like a fine Swiss watch maker. Please correct me if I am painting an inaccurate picture. I have NEVER seen a BluVac micron gauge at any of the local refrigeration supply houses in the Milwaukee/Madison area. Additionally, I have never even heard a fellow technician mention the BluVac uge during our ocassional discussions about tools/equipment that every guy should get. I have also asked the Journeyman who teach night school at the union hall and my fellow 4th and 5th year apprentices if they have had any experiences with, or heard anything about the BluVac, but nobody is familiar with the gauge but all of us (apprentices and Journeymen both) are very interested in seeing one in action. I see from some of the previous posts, guys haven't been shy about asking for a sample, but I am wondering if it is possible to obtain a BluVac micron gauge so that I can take the gauge to the hall and show fellow classmates and my teachers how the gauge stacks up against the other products on the market. I could also take it to my work and introduce it to service guys to get their thoughts on it. I work for Advantage Refrigeration, the largest commercial refrigeration/supermarket install and service company in Wisconsin. We always have techs asking for quality vacuum gauges but are purchasing department never knows which to buy. So if I can give tell them that the BluVac gauge is the best on the market on, then we would purchase large quantities for all of service techs

Post Likes
    Thanks and sorry for the long post!
    Mike
    UA Local 601
    Milwaukee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in