Thread: Safety Float switch issues

Post Likes

Safety Float switch issues

Hi pros-

Newbie issue here. I have a carrier unit with a Safe-T-Float switch. My dad told my i needed to add a half cup of bleach to the condensate lines every few months. I lifted the only "plug" I saw which happened to be the Safe-T switch and poured the bleach in. Now my unit is blowing but the air is not cold. After doing my research it seems I defeated the purpose of having a float switch by pouring liquid down it. I attempted to dry out the condensate piping with some paper towels and dried off the switch. Will it take some time for the switch to kick back on or did I do further damage to the unit.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eric813us View Post
    Hi pros-

Newbie issue here. I have a carrier unit with a Safe-T-Float switch. My dad told my i needed to add a half cup of bleach to the condensate lines every few months. I lifted the only "plug" I saw which happened to be the Safe-T switch and poured the bleach in. Now my unit is blowing but the air is not cold. After doing my research it seems I defeated the purpose of having a float switch by pouring liquid down it. I attempted to dry out the condensate piping with some paper towels and dried off the switch. Will it take some time for the switch to kick back on or did I do further damage to the unit.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
    Can you post a picture? It may be as simple as the float hanging on a Clear View trap

Post Likes

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Can you post a picture? It may be as simple as the float hanging on a Clear View trap
    Thanks for looking. Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Little black float should be at the bottom of the guide. It should slide up and down easily. Try running ac with float removed from PVC plug. Make sure float is at the bottom. AC should cool.

I always wire these float switches to shut blower and everything off if float switch is the issue.

It may be trap is clogged and float is doing its job. Bleach should drain quickly from safety float.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    Little black float should be at the bottom of the guide. It should slide up and down easily. Try running ac with float removed from PVC plug. Make sure float is at the bottom. AC should cool.

I always wire these float switches to shut blower and everything off if float switch is the issue.

It may be trap is clogged and float is doing its job. Bleach should drain quickly from safety float.
    I'll try that. It does look like there is some algae in there. I'll try getting it with the shop-vac. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in