Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: furnace red tagged no rating plate

Post Likes

furnace red tagged no rating plate

Hello everyone. My name is Kirk and Im new on here so I hope you can help me.I have a Keeprite gas furnace installed in Jan 91.Its a 69,000 btu model with standing pilot light....The rating plate is missing and the gas utility has shut it down.Does anyone know if there is a serial or model number anywhere else on the unit? It needs a cleaning but other than that its fine (no CO. or gas leaks and burners are working fine)...........so unless I can ID. this unit I have no heat......thanks Kirk

Post Likes
    did they shut it down because it was unsafe? I cant believe they would red tag it because of a missing label. How do you know its 69K btu?

Post Likes
    I have not heard of people shutting down a furnace for no name plate before unless there is a potential issue or harm like a crack in the heat exchanger even though there is no CO2
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    The guy is making excuses..he said there was rust but its not, its male cat urine thats dried on the ductwork between the joists and duct.Its water soluable and can be also be scraped or sanded off.Its galvanized to begin with...............It does need a good cleaning and even if I get someone out they have locked the meter thanks

Post Likes
    I was told it was 69,ooo by someone several yrs ago now(he was commenting that is was too big for a 750 sq ft house.

Post Likes
    Normally the Local Gas Company would not lock off a gas meter unless
    there is a potentially dangerous situation regarding either a gas leak or some danger to your safety.

I would call them and speak to the supervisor about it pronto and Find out what you need to do to rectify
    the situation.
    Last edited by small change; 01-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Post Likes
    the tag says no rating plate (cant make out code reference). also says maintenance required before activation of appliance again I cant make out code....thanks

Post Likes
    what if I turn it on ,they wont find out untill the spring and by then I can probably get the situation corrected somehow...thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billyjoey View Post
    what if I turn it on ,they wont find out untill the spring and by then I can probably get the situation corrected somehow...thanks
    If they tagged it, I wouldn't recommend you turning it back on until you have a qualified professional check it out and have the utility company explained why they shut it down to begin with. In my area when they tag something and it states "maintenance required," usually the burners are so dirty that there are combustion/drafting issues that can be hazardous.

Post Likes
    Nope.

Theft of Services which could be a misdemeanor or a felony depending upon how much
    natural gas is consumed. You will also be responsible for the equipment you break/destroy.

What if you cause a natural gas leak while tampering the lock on the meter.

Is your well being and maybe those of your family worth this?

Don't do the Crime , If you can't do the time

Post Likes
    I specifically asked about the burners and was told they were ok.I was told I now need this rating plate or copy of specs.to then service the furnace and then turn back on..thanks

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-20-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Non AOP member

Post Likes
    54regcab

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    not sure where i might start new thread is there no section for nonpro,s? sorry

Post Likes
    not sure where i might start new thread is there no section for nonpro,s? sorry
    That wasn't directed at you.

Read the post again. It was directed at an unauthorized, non AOP approved poster.

Post Likes
    The codes generally require all combustion appliances be tested and listed by a recognized testing lab to the appropriate national standards. A rating plate indicates the listing mark, make, model, serial #, fuel type, input BTU rating, minimum inlet gas pressure, manifold gas pressure, clearances to combustibles, and possibly some other technical data used to test and adjust the unit. Without positive proof from the mfr., how can you or the AHJ be sure this unit was installed and operating within the mfr.s specs. and listed instructions? If the home was recently purchased, you should have had a home inspection, which should have noted this information. If it was not present at that time, the H.I. should have called for the replacement of the appliance before you took possession.

Often missing ratings plates are an indication of equipment that was either stolen or retrieved from a dumpster even though it was defective. That's one reason to smash and totally ruin any appliances discarded and cut out the rating plate.

What if this appliance is left in operation then something goes wrong, which is traced back to information normally available on a rating plate that reasonably would have averted the condition such as correct fuel set up? It's a liability issue.

Post Likes
    I haven,t recently aquired the home.The meter was leaking and relaced with a new unit. At this time they wanted to see the furnace.It was then red tagged, 1st for no rating plate and second for cleaning and further inspection.I have inquired with a couple of hvac contractors who say they can address the maintenance requirements but with no rating plate then the gas co.wouldnt authorize startup.....If I can get through he next couple of months with this unit,the heating season will be mostly over and I can then see what my options are as too a new hvac system....thanks Kirk

Post Likes
    Hearthman: I wanted to thank you for your clear and detailed explanation regarding rating and safety data.I had this furnace and sheetmetal system installed in Jan 91.At that time the local gas utility sold and serviced gas appliances (now discontinued}......I had a number of their approved contractors give me estimates ,all of which I thought were too high.$$$$$$ avg. with lowest being $$$$$$....(this is 1991$)............. I later found a guy who was a laid off sheetmetal installer, he could do all the duct work but was not a furnace guy,however he knew someone who was an apprentice HVAC and or pipe fitter.So one did the duct work and the other the furnace.....It all cost me less than half the quoted rates(the original system was a coal fired octopus furnace later converted to oil)................But I have been thinking even before you posted that maybe this furnace was stollen hence the id. plate missing.The furnace has performed without inncedent for 22 yrs now If I can go 2 1/2 more months with it than I will be happy. (is there someway of getting the ratings?) thanks
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-20-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    Hearthman: I wanted to thank you for your clear and detailed explanation regarding rating and safety data.I had this furnace and sheetmetal system installed in Jan 91.At that time the local gas utility sold and serviced gas appliances (now discontinued}......I had a number of their approved contractors give me estimates ,all of which I thought were too high.$$$$$$ avg. with lowest being $$$$$$....(this is 1991$)............. I later found a guy who was a laid off sheetmetal installer, he could do all the duct work but was not a furnace guy,however he knew someone who was an apprentice HVAC and or pipe fitter.So one did the duct work and the other the furnace.....It all cost me less than half the quoted rates(the original system was a coal fired octopus furnace later converted to oil)................But I have been thinking even before you posted that maybe this furnace was stollen hence the id. plate missing.The furnace has performed without inncedent for 22 yrs now If I can go 2 1/2 more months with it than I will be happy. (is there someway of getting the ratings?) thanks
    Sounds like you got a great deal. 22 years on a stolen furnace....installed at 1/2 the price of legitiment contractor....That old furnace does not owe you anything.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Sounds like it, I always thought the sticker beside the transformer was the rating plate..............do you know where there might be a reference # somewhere else on the unit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in