+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Always Check Disconnects

Post Likes

Why I Always Check Disconnects

A 50 Amp 3 pole 600 volt disconnect on a Carrier RTU Friday.

Post Likes
    man ...that is just wrong....thank goodness you checked...
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    on a Carrier RTU...
    Those things are hacker magnets wherever you go, for some reason.

I don't always open the disconnect, but I always check with my meter, and verify it with something live first.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    GD. They could have at lease left a note on the unit..
    ®

Post Likes
    Found the same thing on a residential unit a couple of weeks ago. It was actually a fused disconnect that 'HO's cousin' said was bad.

Post Likes
    Every time I see this I cringe and think how bad that would hurt if you didn't check that first. Really sad considering they aren't that hard to changeout or all that expensive compared to someone's life.

Post Likes
    You have to always check before you put your hands in. I've run into units that were fed from two different power sources.

Post Likes
    A guy who worked for the company I work at got fried by 480, eye balls melted out of his head I guess. The disco was wired wrong. I don't know the whole story but that's what I remember.

Post Likes
    Its one of the first things I check just to insure there are no loose connections, burned wires or bad terminals,etc.

Part of my general inspection that I've been doing for years on equipment that I've never run across before. It's both CYA and a solid service practice.

If we get the PM contract then it's part of my quarterly PMs.

Thing is I'm in the habit of inspecting the terminals and wires that it actually took me a couple of seconds to realize what the hell I was looking at.

Showed that pic to the store GM and he rolled his eyes " I know who did it " and he walked off in a huff.

Took a whole 30 minutes to go down the street and pick a new one up from a electrical supply. Well a bit longer because I had to make a stop at one of three local Carriers to get a Condenser fan motor, blade and cap.

I don't get it. Lazy techs I guess.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    A guy who worked for the company I work at got fried by 480, eye balls melted out of his head I guess. The disco was wired wrong. I don't know the whole story but that's what I remember.
    There was a guy in Houston that was working on a AHU starter in a building mechanical room.

Never got home never called in after the job which was a late day service call.

They found him the next morning still wedged between the AHU and the starter.

Supposedly it was a tight area and he was hit and it cause his heart to go into defib.

Couldn't get out fast enough I guess.

Post Likes
    You always have to be thinking in the trade, one wrong move and your toast, exactly why HO's shouldnt touch there equipment.

Post Likes
    Went to remove a panel cover once to put in the breaker for the unit we just put in as I was backing out the screw it blew in my face put a nice size hole in the panel cover. Guess the sparky that wired it in originally left the access wire looped in front of the cover screw ( before the main breaker) and over the years of going in and out wore through the caseing it was a nice surprise. Was lucky I was only blinded by the flash for twenty minutes and nothing more.
    For some reason I learn more with my mouth shut

Post Likes
    When I was really green I was with a guy working in a timer for parking lot lights 480 I think. We got I'n the electrical room and noticed the cover across the room, didnt think much of it, it's open to maintenance and we thought they took it off. When the guy tried the timer I could hear it, I can't explain the sound but I knew nothing good was going to happen, then BOOM the thing exploded, I ducked just In time not to get burnt. Pretty freaky.

Post Likes
    The hack could of at least broke the handle off as a heads up.

Post Likes
    Yes Mr store-owner, I can get your unit working for $100. Hack proceeds to the roof and by-passes the disconnect. Store-owner is happy cause he has cool air and a low bill... next guy gets the shocking truth... pun intended.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes

Arrow We cannot be TOO careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I don't always open the disconnect, but I always check with my meter, and verify it with something live first.
    I have a friend, who fortunately escaped injury, who was doing pre-start-up checks inside a larger air handler. He had verified with his meter the power was off. He had just finished working at the belts & sheaves when the blower began operating while he was inside the unit.

This new rooftop unit was a replacement for an old unit. The on-site maintenance guy had bypassed the disconnect and he had the circuit breaker inside the building turned off. Then the maintenance guy turned the breaker on, not aware that someone was inside the new unit.
    I'm still learning this trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uhPrintUs View Post
    I have a friend, who fortunately escaped injury, who was doing pre-start-up checks inside a larger air handler. He had verified with his meter the power was off. He had just finished working at the belts & sheaves when the blower began operating while he was inside the unit.

This new rooftop unit was a replacement for an old unit. The on-site maintenance guy had bypassed the disconnect and he had the circuit breaker inside the building turned off. Then the maintenance guy turned the breaker on, not aware that someone was inside the new unit.
    Tag it... better, lock it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uhPrintUs View Post

Perfect example of when panel lockouts should be used.

Post Likes
    Lock out tag out

Post Likes
    I remeber when I was green I was changing out a 480v unit at a church I killed the disconnect (didnt check the unit for power) started un-wiring the old unit when I pulled the first wire out it rubbed against the unit and sparks flew and I almost sh*t myself. I opened the disconnect and sure enough it was broken..... That is when I learned to always check units before working on them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in