Thread: Replacement for R22 in PTAC

Post Likes

Replacement for R22 in PTAC

I have 90 LG ptacs in our hotel. These were manufactured with aluminum condenser coils which developed leaks. LG has replaced those coils, copper, but now our warranty has run out and we have about 50 of the aluminum variety. Best price I could find replacement coils is $ and I'm thinking that maybe instead charging a couple and see how long they last. Possibly I can find the leak if it's where the aluminum and copper join which I'm told is likely. At any rate, what drop in replacement can I use for these since they currently use R22? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-16-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    First, no pricing is allowed. Secondly, with the relatively low cost of new PTACs why would you throw that kind of money at a unit with that nature of a problem. Just adding it up quickly in my head, it makes little sense. Run the aluminum ones till they crap out one by one, and replace them as they go.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    I'd stay R22. For the pound or 2 they take, not worth the risk of the alternative not working well or harming the compressor.

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP, Commercial forum.

Post Likes
    R410 replacements - you must have an eye to the future. You could fix one now but in 5 years the cost of R22 will make the decision for you. Better to bite the bullet now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbfromsd View Post
    R410 replacements - you must have an eye to the future. You could fix one now but in 5 years the cost of R22 will make the decision for you. Better to bite the bullet now.
    This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Who can post here?

More specifically: can I ? <g>

PHM
    -------
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Who can post here?

More specifically: can I ? <g>

PHM
    -------
    You're good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in