Thread: Carrier vs York system?

Post Likes

Carrier vs York system?

Would like advice on choosing a replacement system for heat/ac in a 20 year old, 2300 sq home in the northeast. After a number of contractor estimates, I am down to two choices.

First is a York TM9V 2 stage, variable speed, 97% AFUE furnace with a York YCJF42 16 SEER 3.5 ton A/C unit.

Other choice is a Carrier 58CVA110 2 stage, variable speed, 80% AFUE furnace with a Carrier 24ABC642 16 SEER 3.5 ton A/C unit.

The less efficient Carrier system is about $ more than the York system. The York system is more efficient, less cost, but I have concerns about the quality and dependability of York products. As you might expect, the Carrier dealer had nothing good to say about York. Checked a few internet sites and found some bad York product reviews, but not substantially more than other brands. The York dealer suggested that with Carrier, you are just paying more for the name.

I am leaning toward the higher efficiency, lower cost York system. Any advice on whether that equipment is a good choice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-11-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: price difference

Post Likes
    What size York furnace?

What thermostat for the York furnace? You would want a true two stg thermostat.

On the Carrier, I would want the 58MVC 80 KBTU 95% eff with Infinity control.

IMO

Post Likes
    York and Carrier are both big names. Im not sure what coil they are matching with the YCJF42 but i'm not sure that you can squeez 16 seer out of that unit. It's nominal rating is 14.5. I don't know about the carrier match up. You do pay alot for carrier's name. Just look at the price difference between carrier and bryant (they're the same unit different name) The fact that you're paying more for a much less effecient furnace is disconcerting. The 90% furnace requires more time and work to install and youre still paying less.

Post Likes
    York furnace is 100k btu. Dealer is not supplying a thermostat because the Honeywell unit I currently have is brand new and dealer said it was fully compatible.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur59 View Post
    York furnace is 100k btu. Dealer is not supplying a thermostat because the Honeywell unit I currently have is brand new and dealer said it was fully compatible.
    It is difficult for me to believe you require a high eff 100 KBTU furnace. 80 K should be more than enough.

And unless your thermostat is a true two stg model, you shortchange yourself and the system's capability. Sorry sure this Is not what you want to hear. Thermostat should control staging, not a timer on the control board. Suggest you discuss this point further with dealer.

IMO

Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback. I will check with the dealer on both the sizing and the thermostat. As a follow up, any concerns with the York brand in your opinion?

Post Likes
    These two stage var speed furnaces are generally reliable.

Verify warranty. Parts, labor, compressor.

New lineset and air filter cabinet included?

What size furnace and condenser are you replacing?

I have no problem with the York brand. I would want the Matching AHRI number to verify performance/eff numbers. Ask dealer.

IMO

Post Likes
    AC is debatable but i think that York has the nicest furnaces.

Post Likes
    Installation and quality of dealer is much more important than brand. Depending on how north you are I'd recommend 95% or better furnace. If northern states, definitely recommend +95% unit. Agree with getting the AHRI rating for actually installed equipment. Most brochures list the max efficiency (smaller unit) , and larger units are actually quite a bit lower.

Post Likes
    I'm suprised that you need a 110k BTU furnace in a location where you need 3.5 tons of cooling. You'd need to be well north for that match.

+1 on 95%+

I'm partial to Carrier Equipment, but you need to have hte Performance series quoted. I also think you should alwasy price, good better and best. I'd alos price out a York Affinity modulating furnace and a Carrier Infinity both with 2 stage AC.

Post Likes
    I would go with the York setup but they are both Brand name. ones a Chevy ones A Ford.

Where is the House in Canada?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    These two stage var speed furnaces are generally reliable.

Verify warranty. Parts, labor, compressor.

New lineset and air filter cabinet included?

What size furnace and condenser are you replacing?

I have no problem with the York brand. I would want the Matching AHRI number to verify performance/eff numbers. Ask dealer.

IMO
    Warranty is 10 yrs parts, labor and compressor...lifetime on exchanger. Lineset and filter are in the quote. Existing 20 yr old system is 114k btu furnace (80%) and 3.5 ton ac unit. Will ask dealer about matching AHRI numbers as suggested. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    I would go with the York setup but they are both Brand name. ones a Chevy ones A Ford.

Where is the House in Canada?
    House is in eastern PA. Thanks for the brand feedba
    ck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'm suprised that you need a 110k BTU furnace in a location where you need 3.5 tons of cooling. You'd need to be well north for that match.

+1 on 95%+

I'm partial to Carrier Equipment, but you need to have hte Performance series quoted. I also think you should alwasy price, good better and best. I'd alos price out a York Affinity modulating furnace and a Carrier Infinity both with 2 stage AC.
    Thanks. Will look into Affinity models

Post Likes
    York is the major brand that we sell, so i'm probably biased. The TM9V is a really good furnace and I love the LX series of AC and heat pumps, much more than the York affinity. It is cheaper and I believe it's a better system. You can match the 14.5 Seer outdoor unit with variable speed motor and txv to achieve almost 16 Seer. I think with the 3 ton it will match to 16 Seer and the others are 15.6+. We have installed many like this and have had no problems... knock on wood

Post Likes
    2300 sq ft 1992 home shouldn't need a big furnace. Above average number of windows, maybe a 80,000 95plus% furnace.

On the coldest days, did your current 114,000 80% have to run 24/7 to keep your house warm? or did it cycle on and off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    2300 sq ft 1992 home shouldn't need a big furnace. Above average number of windows, maybe a 80,000 95plus% furnace.

On the coldest days, did your current 114,000 80% have to run 24/7 to keep your house warm? or did it cycle on and off.
    Current furnace cycles on and off with what seems to be a normal frequency. Never had an issue with lack of heat or inability to maintain temp.

Post Likes
    Current furnace cycles on and off with what seems to be a normal frequency. Never had an issue with lack of heat or inability to maintain temp.
    Your current furnace has a rated output of 91,200 BTUs. So you don't need a 100,000 BTU 97% furnace. You probably do need a proper load calc done to find out what size you really need.

Post Likes
    What is "normal"?

Were your Jan. gas bills close to $400 in a colder winter (last year doesn't count)? IF not, 114k is oversized.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in