Thread: New Install HELP...serviceman coming tomorrow AGAIN!!!

Post Likes

New Install HELP...serviceman coming tomorrow AGAIN!!!

Hello...
    First let me say THANK YOU for this site..Tons of Good People and INFO!

I need some help with a new Install that was done in my house a week ago.

The system is an Amana (Goodman) 14 Seer outside unit, (3 ton) matching Evaporator coil and a new Amana Gas Furnace.

It is set up in a downflow setup.

This will be the third time I have to have the service man out to address a condensation problem.

They installed the TXV outside of the Exaporator housing, and it leaks condensation all over my floor!

To tell the truth, I have never seen a TXV located outside of the housing before, and given the amount of condensation it generates..It seems like it should have been located inside the evaporator from the start!

They either Made or had a Neoprene "Can" that goes over the valve and secures with Velcro...it has filled up with water twice, then overflows on the floor!

Should this be moved inside the housing where the condensation can be controlled??

Please, any advice would be great!!!

LarryQ
    Last edited by LarryQ; 07-31-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: reword to clarify

Post Likes
    Sounds like it just needs to be insulated so it does not conensate.

Post Likes
    external txv is common. It also need to be insulated just like the suction line
    foam tape should be good enough to solve and sweating problem it is having

Post Likes
    that TXV is an upgrade over a piston metering device. they did you good by adding that TXV to the system

where is this equipment located? an attic? a closet inside?

getting the TXV and short bit of line going to the evap insulated good should solve the condensation challenge
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    I'm happy to hear that it's a common thing to mount the TXV externally.

The unit is in a Closet....I'd hate to imagine it in the Attic!!!!

I'm going to give them one more chance to insulate it..then I'm off to the HVAC supply store for a roll of Neoprene wrap and give it a shot myself.

Is there one product that will work best for this....Is there anything in particular I should as for at the service counter??

It is an ODD shape to effectively wrap air tight....I'll give them that....

They also seem to be very FOND of Black Duct Tape!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Larry
    Last edited by LarryQ; 07-31-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: clarify

Post Likes
    Two things that are required to get condensation. 1) A surface that is cold enough to make the moisture in the air condense on it. 2) The ability of the moist air to get to the cold surface.

You will need to insulate and seal the TXV from the air in your home. Doesn't need to look pretty if it's not in sight. I'd wrap it with a good quality soft foam insulation and then seal it completely with a vapor barrier such as plastic wrap. Try not to stick/glue anything directly to the TXV as if it needs to be checked the service tech might say a few things that you might take personal. Cover it like you'd be the one servicing it.

Nothing wrong with black duct tape. What's worse is someone that wraps something like this up with a full roll of black electrical tape and hides the end.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I would use what the manufature recomends for insulation but you can pick up foam tape insulation @ any Home Hepot or Lowes. I have liked using cork tape insulation on odd shaped devices like txv's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Two things that are required to get condensation. 1) A surface that is cold enough to make the moisture in the air condense on it. 2) The ability of the moist air to get to the cold surface.

You will need to insulate and seal the TXV from the air in your home. Doesn't need to look pretty if it's not in sight. I'd wrap it with a good quality soft foam insulation and then seal it completely with a vapor barrier such as plastic wrap. Try not to stick/glue anything directly to the TXV as if it needs to be checked the service tech might say a few things that you might take personal. Cover it like you'd be the one servicing it.

Nothing wrong with black duct tape. What's worse is someone that wraps something like this up with a full roll of black electrical tape and hides the end.

that TXV may be adjustable (from the bottom if installed properly)

if its in a closet, you can slow down the rate of condensation (not suggesting that it doesn't need insulation) by conditioning the closet that this system is in a litte ammount of supply air in the closet will make a huge difference

I would use what the manufature recomends for insulation but you can pick up foam tape insulation @ any Home Hepot or Lowes. I have liked using cork tape insulation on odd shaped devices like txv's.
    please read bold underline
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Ok....

Serviceman came and thought that the TXV was way too cold....

He was sure that was the reason for all the condensation....so he changed the valve!

I will say that the new valve is working Much better...as only the lowest portion and the small connection to the evap is cold enough to cause Condensation.

He did do a HORRIBLE job wrapping the setup though...so I did it myself....

(I Hope that doesn't violate the DIY rules here...hehehehe)

Anyway, I did a Much better job..it took me about 30-45 Miniutes to do it airtight and clean!

It has been running for @ 5 hours now..not a drop of water in sight!

Keeping my fingers (and Toes) crossed!

Thanks to everyone for their Insight!

This Winter..I think I'm going to have a bit more Insulation blown into the attic.....

These Oklahoma Heat Waves are getting a little out of hand!

Larry

Post Likes
    To whoever said they like to use cork tape. You obviously have never had to troubleshoot a txv after some idiot has wrapped it with cork tape. Takes like a half hour just to peel it off. It's not a good insulator instead use rubatex 1 and 1/8th by half inch wall, wrap it and strap it problem solved.

Post Likes
    Check the original txv and see if it is not a model TX3N4, which is for use with a R410a system.

I don't much care for the insulation "cans" that come with those Parker txvs. I prefer cutting and slicing sections of insultube to fit tighter to the txv and tape the heck out of it over the insultube only.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caliweath33 View Post
    To whoever said they like to use cork tape. You obviously have never had to troubleshoot a txv after some idiot has wrapped it with cork tape. Takes like a half hour just to peel it off. It's not a good insulator instead use rubatex 1 and 1/8th by half inch wall, wrap it and strap it problem solved.
    I have had to troubleshoot many txv's wrapped with cork tape. If it was wrapped the wright way you just give it one good score with your knife and it has all ways peeled of easy enough for me. I like it because it is more moisture resistant than foam and, the man that trained me 5 years ago, who is a 30+ veteran in HVAC-R showed me the correct way to use it and remove it. I don't use it every were like some guys and there electrical tape.(wish I owned an electrical tape factory, I'd be rich) However, I will try your suggestion and see how I like it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in