Thread: co reading at register?

Post Likes

co reading at register?

I am a contractor in HVAC. I ran in to a small problem I have not ran into yet until now. I am a bit concerned. A customer called me and said their co alarm went off in middle of night. I went there and took out my hand held co detector UEI CO71A. I was getting around 10 - 12ppm. According to my chart that came with detector said at 9 ppm is the maximum allowable concentration for short term exposure in a living area according to ashrae. Well I did find a couple of small cracks in heat exchanger and shut it down. By the way the only gas appliances is water heater and furnace. I replaced furnace today but out of the same register never tried any others should had though I was still getting a reading of about the same ppm. Has anyone have any info for me to kinda go back and check. Yes furnace I installed is brand new. Heat exchanger does have oil in it to burn off would this give me a reading? They are heavy smokers what about that lingering in duct work? If I hold detector about 6 inches away I get no reading. Need advice on what sources if anyone can provide. Thanks

Post Likes
    never mind I believe I got my answer else where by uei.

Post Likes
    what was the answer?

Post Likes
    Perhaps you have a wonky meter, UEI is the chum bucket manufacturer of meters.

Post Likes

Uei

I don't have a problem with any of my meters or combustion analyzer made by them. Tech support is good too. Most problems come improper care or user ignorance.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    what was the answer from uei

Post Likes
    glad you found the cracks and repalced the furnace
    if you still have co and the furnace it installed correcty and vented correctly then look for co elsewhere. CO can come from other sirses other then just the furnace and get cirulated arround the house by the blower. A low level from a register could meet the return is pulling it in from a stove, dryer,fireplace,or car boing started in a garrage and the door being close before it can be vented out

check the whole box te look outside it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    glad you found the cracks and repalced the furnace
    if you still have co and the furnace it installed correcty and vented correctly then look for co elsewhere. CO can come from other sirses other then just the furnace and get cirulated arround the house by the blower. A low level from a register could meet the return is pulling it in from a stove, dryer,fireplace,or car boing started in a garrage and the door being close before it can be vented out

check the whole box te look outside it
    I have a customer that smokes cigars in his house, wife smokes cigerettes, there CO is a constant 10-15 ppm and the haze is tremendous, I'm a smoker and I hate going in there, its like being in a bar(if we could still smoke in a MN bar that is)
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    I was actually leavin the meter by a regeister for about 20 minutes and tech support at uei told me that the meter I have has a response time of 3 seconds and that leaving it by a hot register it heats up and the meter has some sort of a sensor in it that actually raises the reading on meter so all should be good now. I just recently bought UEI combustion analyzer but really haven't used it yet but cannot wait to try it. Thanks for all the help I was just a little concerned being they tested positive for CO poisoining. Their old furnace was a General Electric natural draft for flue gases 20 years old. Anyway they now have a new 2 stage furnace should be happy with the heat. Might have to post here more often I like reading the posts but never actually posted or replyed to a post.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    I was actually leavin the meter by a regeister for about 20 minutes and tech support at uei told me that the meter I have has a response time of 3 seconds and that leaving it by a hot register it heats up and the meter has some sort of a sensor in it that actually raises the reading on meter so all should be good now. I just recently bought UEI combustion analyzer but really haven't used it yet but cannot wait to try it. Thanks for all the help I was just a little concerned being they tested positive for CO poisoining. Their old furnace was a General Electric natural draft for flue gases 20 years old. Anyway they now have a new 2 stage furnace should be happy with the heat. Might have to post here more often I like reading the posts but never actually posted or replyed to a post.

Thanks
    now if it is a masonary chimmey was it lined like is needed or not

this will cause a lot of problem as time goes on if a liner isnt pulled

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    Might have to post here more often I like reading the posts but never actually posted or replyed to a post.

Thanks
    get your post count up and get a pro membership thats where all the good info is

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in