Thread: westco 5131406 elect. furnace

Post Likes

westco 5131406 elect. furnace

hello, newbee here, just found your site and could use some help. a friend has a westco electric furnace mdl# 5131406 year of manufacture is 1986. went over with my fluke multimeter and did a voltage check starting at the thermostat, 2 wire, red/white 24vac. checked out 25vac. he had already purchased a new programable one as he figured that was the problem and was installing it when i arrived. fan did not turn on even in manual on position. went to furnace in garage and checked voltage 220 was there. checked fan with manual switch, worked great smooth and silent no vibration. ok this is where my knowledge gets thin, what do they call the switches ( they are round and stacked) that control the power to the fan because i can hear them click,watch the elements start to heat up then within 10 second click off. is their a certain sequence of operation similar to that of a boiler that furnace goes through to operate? after a little time i suspect it is those switches that are worn from 20+ years of on/off sequence's. sorry for the long post but hopefully i'm on the write track. thanks:
    Last edited by 55dude; 02-01-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Post Likes
    did a little research and the relays i was wondering about are called "sequencer's". from what i have read these are therostatically operated allowing the elements to heat to a desired temp. and then fan turns on? is it common for these to fail. thanks again

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
    did a little research and the relays i was wondering about are called "sequencer's". from what i have read these are therostatically operated allowing the elements to heat to a desired temp. and then fan turns on? is it common for these to fail. thanks again

if you had to do research to find out what you were working on, the research should of also told you;

it is common for D.I.Y.ers to get injured working on things they should not be working on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    if you had to do research to find out what you were working on, the research should of also told you;

it is common for D.I.Y.ers to get injured working on things they should not be working on.

wow! your not by chance the " assistant mgr" at 7-11 or KFC are you? because that is the same answer i recieved when i bought my chicken and beer on the way home last night! sound like if my electric dog polisher has a problem i send a pm.

Post Likes

wow! your not by chance the " assistant mgr" at 7-11 or KFC are you? because that is the same answer i recieved when i bought my chicken and beer on the way home last night! sound like if my electric dog polisher has a problem i send a pm.
    now you are showing your true inteligence

if you need some good answers apply for pro membership!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    now you are showing your true inteligence

if you need some good answers apply for pro membership!

dude! your first response was anything but "pro". from the looks of your past posts makes me wonder where you bought your G.E.D?

Post Likes
    Rough crowed for the DIY's around here, duck and cover

Post Likes

dude! your first response was anything but "pro". from the looks of your past posts makes me wonder where you bought your G.E.D?

ok D.I.Y.er you win, but your buddies unit is still broke!

Post Likes
    Does the system have only two wires to stat? If so, then I won't even comment any further as to why the fan won't come on at the stat.
    (snicker to myself)
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Post Likes
    Hvac service techs are reluctent to pass out info. to DIY'ers because we have seen too many disasters and posssibly injuries. No one on this site could live with themselves if they mistook our info. & something happened. We take our trade very seriously because we know the consequences.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in