Thread: multiple proposals - mismatch outdoor unit & coil

Post Likes

multiple proposals - mismatch outdoor unit & coil

Hi all- I am getting bids to replace my furnace and A/C, and have received multiple. The proposed vendors are Lennox, Amana, Rheem and American Standard.

Two of the companies have proposed using a 3.5 ton A/C (outside unit) with a 4 ton coil with the furnace. Both have indicated that this will provide greater efficiency.

It is interesting to note that in Colorado that Xcel Energy provides tiered rebates for replacing the A/C with a newer and/or more efficient system - but they specifically exclude any rebates for mismatches as described above.

Can anyone provide comments on the benefits or deficiencies of such a combination?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Post Likes
    That isn't a mis-matched system automatically. Look up the combination on AHRI directory and see if it is a good match. We regularly put a larger evap coil on a system for efficiency reasons. Especially with R-410a. Good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    That isn't a mis-matched system automatically. Look up the combination on AHRI directory and see if it is a good match. We regularly put a larger evap coil on a system for efficiency reasons. Especially with R-410a. Good luck

this has been done for many years.

as long as its an AHRI rated match you're good to go.

Post Likes
    I'm not a pro* so I can't give advice, but if I got such proposals and had your concern, I would ask for the ARI certification numbers for these combos. I have a 2.5 ton condenser with a 3.5 ton coil and it is a ARI match.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    I'm not a pro* so I can't give advice, but if I got such proposals and had your concern, I would ask for the ARI certification numbers for these combos. I have a 2.5 ton condenser with a 3.5 ton coil and it is a ARI match.
    Hypothetically speaking, of course.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Many manufacturers don't have 1/2 size coils so a 4 ton coil IS a match to the 3 1/2 ton condenser- especially Rheem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in