+ Reply to Thread

Thread: temp reference / tool calibration

Post Likes

Confused temp reference / tool calibration

Ok so I have been going nuts as of late having tons of problems with my tools. I use a cooper atkins temp clamp and it hooks up to my fluke 116. I was using it while working with another tech and he said it wasn't reading right so he got his.out of the truck and we had 20 degree diffrence almost. Yhis would explain alot of my problems lately. What can I use as a constant to check my setup. Ice water should be a constant 32 degrees right?

Problem # 2 my vacumn set up I can't for the life of me get a good vacumn anymore on anything.and I am always worried is it my work it my tools. Just convinced the boss I needed a new vac pump today so we will see if that was it but I have replaced my hosrs used nylog on fittings pulled schraders I'm going nuts. My.Micron gauge I think is on the fritz but I don't just wanna up and buy a whole mew setup because I think that's what it is. Has anybody had these problems before what did you do.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Ok so I have been going nuts as of late having tons of problems with my tools. I use a cooper atkins temp clamp and it hooks up to my fluke 116. I was using it while working with another tech and he said it wasn't reading right so he got his.out of the truck and we had 20 degree diffrence almost. Yhis would explain alot of my problems lately. What can I use as a constant to check my setup. Ice water should be a constant 32 degrees right?

Problem # 2 my vacumn set up I can't for the life of me get a good vacumn anymore on anything.and I am always worried is it my work it my tools. Just convinced the boss I needed a new vac pump today so we will see if that was it but I have replaced my hosrs used nylog on fittings pulled schraders I'm going nuts. My.Micron gauge I think is on the fritz but I don't just wanna up and buy a whole mew setup because I think that's what it is. Has anybody had these problems before what did you do.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #1 Ice water stirring frequently is 32 degrees. This works well to calibrate your temp probes.
    #2 Change vacuum pump oil frequently.

Post Likes
    #1 cav I forgot do you have a set of digital gauges? You might calibrate your thermometer with a PT chart instead of ice.
    It might be pointless though ....... a lot of complaints about the 116 and temp function out there. Their cold junction might have been set up for a bench or shop mechanic and not a field tech. IOW you might spend 20-30 messing with it at home and still be messed up when you use it at work.

#2 I would check your pump with only the gauge connected and see how low it goes then add pieces of your set up and it should still pull fairly low. If that isn't it my guess would be oil in the system degassing. POE would be slower than MO. If there are no leaks would just be sure to change filter driers and they will probally be better off than when you found them
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I have a 116 and have never had any luck with the temperature function on it. I bought a seperate fluke that only does temperature and it works good can't remember the model number right now.

Post Likes

Angry

I didn't realize that the 116 had so many issues you would think that a meter designed for hvac would have good temp function. Shame on fluke for that. Is that a documented problem with them maybe I should call and complain.

Post Likes
    Agree with both on #1 and #2's above. I would add use the black hoses, they are much better for holding a hard vacuum. And you have to change the oil - a micron gauge will prove that.

Post Likes
    Does anybody else own the fieldpiece Micron gauge? It has crazy readings say I am at 800 microns and I pull it off it will go down when expose to atmosphere. I think the gauge is my problem.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    I didn't realize that the 116 had so many issues you would think that a meter designed for hvac would have good temp function. Shame on fluke for that. Is that a documented problem with them maybe I should call and complain.

good luck with that.

let me know when they retool and redesign it just for you.

id like them to rebuild mine also

in the mean time ill continue to use my 52II for temps
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Does anybody else own the fieldpiece Micron gauge? It has crazy readings say I am at 800 microns and I pull it off it will go down when expose to atmosphere. I think the gauge is my problem.
    Have you cleaned your micron sensor with rubbing alcohol?

If not, try that first and see if this fixes your problem. If it doesn't, give me a call at Fieldpiece and I'll get you squared away.

Travis

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post

If not, try that first and see if this fixes your problem. If it doesn't, give me a call at Fieldpiece and I'll get you squared away.

Travis
    Do I have to use the t that comes with the gauge I have just been using a small 6 inch hose firstly to unit. Will it still read accurate the way I am using it.

Post Likes
    No, you don't have to use the T.

It's good to clean microns sensors out every now and then because oil and other stuff can get on the sensor and cause it to do funny things.

Just drip a little rubbing alcohol through the top of the brass fitting on top of the SVG2...put your finger over the hole and shake it around for a bit, then dump out the rubbing alcohol and let it dry for a few hours. Don't stick anything down into the instrument because you can damage the sensor.

if you haven't ever cleaned the sensor or it has been a while, you might need to do this process a couple of times just to make sure everything gets nice and clean.

Also make sure your batteries are good of course.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post

Travis
    for surehttp://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.png

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in