Thread: Goodman Furnace Model GMT140-5B

Post Likes

Goodman Furnace Model GMT140-5B

I had a Goodman Furnace installed in 2003 by my builder. Of course the HVAC contractor is out of business so there goes my warranty on the parts. The builder only had 1 year warranty on the house. Now my furnace works sporadically. But when it does not, there is a constant click off one of the relays on the board. Now with that being said. The igniter does not turn red and the exhaust fan is running constant and ok. The humidifier runs ok also.Also the board light is steady. Do you think I should replace the controller board?

PS is Goodman a good furnace? Less than 4 yrs old and already breaking down?

Post Likes
    If you call a repairman have him throughly check the neutral wire where it is in the connector that goes through the blower compartmant. Had a few of those, first one almost drove me nuts.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post Likes
    The parts warranty should be 5 years regardless if the original installer is here or not.

Post Likes
    As Bald mentioned, if you have a part problem, any contractor who deals with Goodman products can warranty the part, the labor is up to you. It's probably something simple, but rest assured, waiting to see if it corrects itself is unlikely at best and will put added stress on the other system components.

Call for service.

Post Likes
    That's a big furnace. May I assume you have a big house? Where does the return air ducting enter the furnace? That furnace needs a lot of return air, either from the bottom of the furnace of both sides of the furnace.

A lot can happen in four years. If you have had no issues in four years of operation, what makes you think there is a problem with the quality of the furnace?

It never ceases to amaze me that people who claim that the installers of their HVAC equipment is out of business are the same ones who don't call a pro when something goes wrong with the equipment.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    That's a big furnace. May I assume you have a big house? Where does the return air ducting enter the furnace? That furnace needs a lot of return air, either from the bottom of the furnace of both sides of the furnace.

A lot can happen in four years. If you have had no issues in four years of operation, what makes you think there is a problem with the quality of the furnace?

It never ceases to amaze me that people who claim that the installers of their HVAC equipment is out of business are the same ones who don't call a pro when something goes wrong with the equipment.
    I have a 3500 sq ft home.

It enters the furnace in the bottom.

My parents furnace was well over 20 yrs and nothing went wrong before we sold that house? My old home had a furnace that was well into the 10-15 yr life and nothing ever happened to it? I understand mechanical wear and tear and maintence but a circuit board should not go bad in 4 yrs?

The installer was hired by the contractor when my home was built. I never called them and I am glad I did not for my AC installation or I would be out of luck on that also. I always do my yearly check up through a different HVAC installer, who installed my AC/ Humidifier who gave my a lifetime warranty on the components.

I always try to fix things on my own first and I am very good at. Who doesn't? I consider myself very handy on all the trades. I love to read and learn how things work and how to fix things. But I understand that I am not a HVAC pro. I know when to say I can't fix this and I need to call a pro. If I can save some money trying to figure it out myself with some help from the pros (forums) why not? I understand this is not a DIY forum but tips help to diagnose the problem. I am not asking for step by step instructions.

From the calls I have made. I pro will charge me 75-109.95 to diag. Than give additional rate of install? One will not warranty the part since they did not install and the other will. The board costs me 166 at a HVAC parts supply and they will warranty it for me but I have to pay a 50 processing fee. (everyone has to make their living). If it is the board that sounds like I am ahead of the game paying 50 bucks? I can replace the board no problem myself. If not than I am out a tank of gas on the car and I need to call the pro.

Post Likes
    call a pro,bro. the life you save might be your own!!!!

Post Likes
    hey , rayr where are going with the nuatrel theory,

Post Likes

Sometimes paying for experience will save you money

I think its not the board, but I can understand you're wanting to save some money. I think you would be wasting it with this approach. Goodman is a good furnace, they are not high end, but are well made for the most part. The individual components on most brands are made by other manufacturers and the same part may be used in 20 different brands. Now a excerpt from Goodman's site so their supporters don't attack:
    Goodman® is one of the leading HVAC brands in North America and caters to the large segment of the market that is price sensitive and desires reliable and low-cost climate comfort...

Post Likes
    For real keep calling and mention how old your furnace is some one will fix for service charge only + hourly rate,you want pro's to work on gas furnaces

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newbeetech View Post
    hey , rayr where are going with the nuatrel theory,
    It is not a theory. It is a fact. Had 2 with bad neutral connections in the molex connector. First one went through 2 HSI before I found it.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in