Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic air filter question

Post Likes

Electronic air filter question

Just purchased a 10 year old home and discovered during the inspection that the air handler is new, but that there is a slot for an electronic air cleaner, but the slot is empty...meaning there is no electronic air cleaner/filter. There is a pleated filter in the ceiling leading to the air handler. Also the HVAC unit is a heat pump, if that matters. My question is whether I need to purchase an electronic filter, or is it okay to leave the space open and just use the pleated filter with a high MERV rating?

Post Likes
    measure the cabinet from the air cleaner and see if you can get a 4" or 5" pleated filter to fit it.
    if you can put one there then remove the one from the filter grill.

Post Likes
    Not quite sure what you mean...the Filtrete filter I am currently using is a 20x30x1 MERV 12 in a drop down grate from the ceiling. I presume the air handler is above that with the open hole where there used to be an electronic filter. Are you suggesting removal of the filter I am using and just put a smaller one in the air handler?

Post Likes
    the frame size may be smaller, probably 16 x 25 or 20 x 25 but at 4-5" thick it will give you more filter surface area and less resistance. also having the filter right at the unit will trap any dirt that gets into leaks in the return duct after the return grill.

Post Likes
    Thanks...are filters of that thickness readily available at a Home Depot or Lowe's?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Qballgreg View Post
    Thanks...are filters of that thickness readily available at a Home Depot or Lowe's?
    No. Must get through local dealer. If you have a 3 ton on that 20x30x1 filter, you will be calling a contractor to come fix your unit anyway.

Post Likes
    Yes in most locations.

Post Likes
    Why will I be calling a contractor?

Post Likes
    I just checked the unit and it is a 4 ton unit....so does that make a difference with the 20x30x1 filter?

Post Likes
    I just checked the unit and it is a 4 ton unit....so does that make a difference with the 20x30x1 filter?
    Big difference. 3 ton filter size. 4 ton unit - with a PLEATED filter = BIG PROBLEMS

Post Likes
    Although I appreciate your reply, it does no one any good to say something is a BIG PROBLEM unless you have the expertise to explain WHY....

Post Likes
    4 ton requires 800 sq inches of non pleated filter area. (If filter is 1" thick). You have 600. Not enough for 4 tons. Causes air flow restrictions which in turn causes premature wear and tear on all parts - electrical and mechanical. Causes abnormally high head pressure in heat and low suction pressure in cool. Also increases power usage.

Post Likes
    Great info....so the obvious question is....what is the recommendation?

The air handler has a Honeywell electronic air cleaner...would a pleated filter (20x25x4 1/2 MERV 12) in this unit be acceptable and does it relate to the issue of the 1" filter in the return air grate in the ceiling leading to the air handler?

Post Likes
    Name:  4inch media filter to fit in regular return air filter grill.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  31.9 KB

I'll leave your question to be answered by bamacool.

just wanted to tell you that media filters can be used in the
    return air filter grill you have. without having to change the
    r/a filter grill to accomidate media filter.
    check with hvac supply house, or with your hvac company
    for filters like the one in the pic attached.

if you to upsize the return duct & r/a filter grill..
    use the filter grill that is made for media filters.

I use 20x25x4 for my 2 ton system.

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-31-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgary-hvac View Post
    Why not just buy new cells and use the electronic filter the way it was designed?
    Because the EAC does not do a good job filtering everything, and they are a PAIN to clean. If you have smoke they do an ok job of clearing that but I would still recommend a large pleated media filter like the others have mentioned.

Post Likes
    Calgary_hvac

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Thanks...I inserted a 20x25x4 pleated filter into the slot where the electronic filter components reside at the air handler...it is a MERV 12 rated filter. I also have a 20x30x1 in the return air grate in the hallway ceiling which leads up to the air handler. I was told that the Honeywell electronic air filter components can be replaced by the pleated filter. I hope that is correct information.

Post Likes
    Thanks...I inserted a 20x25x4 pleated filter into the slot where the electronic components reside in the Honeywell electronic air filter located inline at the air handler. I was told that was acceptable...I hope that is correct information. I also have a 20x30x1 pleated filter in the return air grate located in the ceiling leading to the air handler...

Post Likes
    i would remove the filter at the grill if you're still using a merv12 filter there, too much restriction to airflow with 2 filters.
    if you want a filter at the grill just use the fiberglass filters, no pleated filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in