+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has wrecked their work truck?

Vero Beach, Fl - Goshen, NY and Lake Norman, NC
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Thats when you pull the Harley out, wipe off the steering wheel,and let the van follow the boulder.
    Get back on the Harley ride home and report your missing service van.
    He should of thought of that, huh?
    “Your biggest risk is not taking one..."

Post Likes
    One of the most dangerous things in this line of work is how much driving we have to do. We go to new places all the time. Often we have to try and find addresses while we are driving and follow directions.
    If you ain't wrecked you ain't been doing this very long.
    Your boss over reacted, shiat happens.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes

Red face

when I was a truck mechanic ears ago, I bet my coworker $5 he couldn't do a dry pavement donut in our service truck ( I didn't think he would actually try). he started the donut and couldn't finish and ran the truck into a ditch so hard you could read the liscense plate numbers in the grass in the side of the ditch-I had my seatbelt on-never did get my five bucks-got 3 days unpaid vacation instead-he got a free trip to the unemployment office. I did back into a light pole and knocked it over. OOOPS
    Da Threadkilla

Post Likes
    in 30 years ..... totaled one , one pretty heavy damaged but not close to totaled, 3 were under $ 250 damage.

Only one that was my fault was the totaled one and that was just because of my stupidity and didn't envolve any other vehicals ............. Funny how a rear trailer hitch can catapult a vehical end over end if its stuck in the dirt in a ditch.

Never have been in an accident as an employee tho. That would be scary but I know if i have a good employee and it happened , I would not be happy but then $hit happens.

Not that I havn't screwed up ........

again & again

do it while having been drinking ......... might as well stay home cause you don't work for me anymore

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    the fact that you didn't get fired speaks volumes for the type of employee that you are... hold you head up and let it go.
    Unfortunately this was your first and most likely wont be your last. When you are on the road as much as an HVAC tech is the numbers are against you. Sooner or later it happens.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis72 View Post
    Get deer whistles. Got 'em on my personal truck, and never have had a problem. My father-in-law, who drove a semi for years, swore by 'em. Just be sure to take 'em off before you drive out to your favourite hunting spot.
    Yeagh, a lot of guys swear by them. I grew up in WI where deer are very plentiful. Everyone has those deer whistles on their trucks, and they still hit em.

I hit one recently, about 55 MPH. That friggen thing come out of nowhere. It just popped right out of the low lying brush on the shoulder of the road. It's hard to say if a whistle would have stopped it. Any way. Brand New Chevy 1 ton. The front crumpled like an accordion. The auto body shop had the van for over a month. It still don't seem right, have some electronics issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post

I hit one recently
    u did not hit it.....It hit you

Post Likes
    right.

Post Likes
    had an early 90's ford 250 van with abs (first generation?). stopping that overloaded vehicle on a damp road was like trying to stop a ten speed bike on a sheet of ice. warned the orifice and took it to several mechanics - no help.
    needless to say that buggy's life ended in the rear of a continental.
    the very next ride got totaled in a collision with a van full of undocumented workers. it was like 'keystone kops', how many east europeans came out of the van and ran for the hills

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Unfortunately this was your first and most likely wont be your last. When you are on the road as much as an HVAC tech is the numbers are against you. Sooner or later it happens.
    SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    I hate talking about this

1.Second day on the job picked up an astro van full of filters for the semi annual pms couldn't fit all the boxes in the van had to go back for three more boxes coming back some taxi driver side swipes me trys claiming it was my fault pictures said different that i took he was stopped on the other side of the lines in my lanes 2500 worth of damage to astro van.

2.three weeks later dropping off a part for some plumbers in a ****ty one way alley somebody backs into me took off hit and run on me i took the fall saying it was my fault
    Boss says to me one more company policy you are gone.

3.Month later going to get a oil change on the truck backed into somebody didnt see them at all new i was done.

Awesome money bad luck only accidents I have ever been in in my life.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis72 View Post
    Get deer whistles. Got 'em on my personal truck, and never have had a problem. My father-in-law, who drove a semi for years, swore by 'em. Just be sure to take 'em off before you drive out to your favourite hunting spot.
    I caught a deer at highway speed and the first thing blown off the bumper was my deer whistles. Didn't do much for me

Post Likes
    I had deer whistles for a few years and hit more deer in that time than ever before or after. I think they sold me deer mating call whistles

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    I had deer whistles for a few years and hit more deer in that time than ever before or after. I think they sold me deer mating call whistles
    Maybe if you put them on backwards they are deer callers? lol
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    About ten years ago I was in excramento, going down a road straight as an arrow for about 5 miles. Speed limit was 50 and thats about what I was doing when this c**t in a jetta blows a stop sign right in front of me. Planted my BIG ford van on the drivers door still doing close to 50. What a mess, she's knocked out I'm kind of beat up roof rack flew 45 feet. Squashed her up pretty good. Had to cut her out and took her away in a heilo. Several witnesses put me in the clear with the cops.

I hate lawyers!

About 3 months later, this C**T has the balls to try to sue me and the company for, get this, $11,000,000.00! Yep, 11 million bucks! It did not go well for her. C**T!

Post Likes
    I got run off of the road and stomped by three guys within an inch of my life ( 3500 Chevy van less than 3000 miles , van was total loss ). I was having problems with a neighbor and he took it to another level...extreme but true. This happend 11 years ago and I still think about it every day.

I've hit deer in every other work truck I have been in , it's always at least 5,000 dollars in a Chevy van on the front end damage.

My insurance for my personal vehicle covers me in any vehicle I'm driving. I've offered it every time I've damaged a work truck and each time I'm told not to worry about it.

Get better auto insurance than you need ( personal ) and " DRIVE IT LIKE YOU OWN IT " .

Post Likes
    I had a supervisor tell me to put around 20 pieces of 2"x10' black pipe on my ladder rack left over from a gas pipe job. I told him the ladder rack wouldn't hold the weight and even if it did I had no good way to tie them down... He was the one to get a bunch of bungie cords and tied them down. I made it to the 1st stop light when the car in front of me slammed on their brakes....

15 or so of the 20 pieces came crashing down on the front windshield, I thought I was a done for, I dove between the seats and screamed like a little girl. When it was all said and done the weight had forced the entire windshield into the interior, crushed the A posts and collapsed the roof inwards. I have no idea where the car went that slammed it's brakes on? I figured I just speared some guy in the back of the head with 2" pipe but they were gone. The police ticketed me for a "unsafe load" which was picked up by the owner of the company. I was never reprimanded as others witnessed me advising against this plan and one nurse who witnessed the accident and saw the car slam on it's brakes stopped to help and gave a statement to the police.

It was one of the scariest accidents I have ever had while on the job. I never did talk to the supervisor again, I always had a chip on my shoulder when he was around. He tried to apologize about a month later at a company Christmas party, I just walked away from him.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Rearended a car in my old van the same afternoon the boss was going to pick up my new truck . He actually still gave it to me couldnt believe it the reck was actually my all my fault.

Post Likes
    Doing a remodel at an Albertson's several years back. Could only work when store was closed 2200-0600. Left for work at 2030 hrs, some rain on my way in. Storm knocked out power & went home early. Return route same as going to work, but hit about 4'of water, truck died and I was stuck. By the time a wrecker came I was standing on the toolboxes. He did not have enough cable to tow me out, so I waded out. Went back the next morning & truck was covered to the top of the ladder rack, 3/4 t chevy sliverado. Not fired, but never, never lived it down! Well, I left to start my own company 6 months later.

Post Likes

An ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SHHHHHHHHHHHHXXXXXXXTTTTTT

Fresh out of school 1982, running service out of a little truck. My boss co-signed so I could sub from him...late nite + 21 yrs old + not real bright + alcohol = 1 trashed truck & 1 nite in jail

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in