Thread: Need heat pump advice

Post Likes

Question Need heat pump advice

Hey guys I need some advice. I have a Bryant heat pump model 698ANo60-B, serial #2594E08044. I just bought this house 2 months ago and have no history with this unit. My Air handler blower motor went out last month on a week end. The service guy did not have a replacment vari speed motor so he installed a single speed. He also jumped my thermostat out to run the unit on high speed. I just got my next moths bill and was schocked to find a $525 bill. This is a 2200 sq ft house in South Louisiana. Will the changes that the tech made to the unit make that much of a difference in energy? Also I just checked the low pressure side of the unit and thought that it was high 85 PSIG? One other thing I only have an average of 10F differential air temp.?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfarrell View Post
    Hey guys I need some advice. I have a Bryant heat pump model 698ANo60-B, serial #2594E08044. I just bought this house 2 months ago and have no history with this unit. My Air handler blower motor went out last month on a week end. The service guy did not have a replacment vari speed motor so he installed a single speed. He also jumped my thermostat out to run the unit on high speed. I just got my next moths bill and was schocked to find a $525 bill. This is a 2200 sq ft house in South Louisiana. Will the changes that the tech made to the unit make that much of a difference in energy? Also I just checked the low pressure side of the unit and thought that it was high 85 PSIG? One other thing I only have an average of 10F differential air temp.?
    My honest advice and the only advice i can give you. Call a pro.
    Did the tech who installed the single speed motor and "Jumped" the stat give you the option of returning with the right parts at least? And did you turn him down to save money?

Post Likes
    Who checked the low side, and did he check the high side too, or only own one hose and one gauge?

Post Likes
    Mr Griff thanks for the reply. The tech did offer to replace the original parts. He also did not seem to think I needed too. There was a large cost adder to replace in kind and that did enter into the decision. I would like to know if the additional cost would add enough efficiency to make a difference. Or how long of a payback? Money was not the only factor. With the age of the unit is it wise to invest $Removed in this repair?
    Last edited by HeyBob; 06-16-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    I checked the low side my self. There was no valve to check the high side.

Post Likes
    whats you liquid line temp and hih side presure? ask the guy to change only the back part of the motor the electronics!

Post Likes
    I checked the low side my self. There was no valve to check the high side.
    Did someone steal your high side service port?

Post Likes
    Mr Griff thanks for the reply. The tech did offer to replace the original parts. He also did not seem to think I needed too. There was a large cost adder to replace in kind and that did enter into the decision. I would like to know if the additional cost would add enough efficiency to make a difference. Or how long of a payback? Money was not the only factor. With the age of the unit is it wise to invest $1,300 in this repair?
    Well i dont know exactly what you have there. But if you run the fan in low or med speed in heating and high for cooling it would be normal. When he "jumped" the stat does the fan run all the time?
    85 means nothing unless we know head pressure, Return and supply temps, Superheat and subcooling. 85 could be normal if its 100 degrees out with a 85 degree return.. Hard to tell form here

Post Likes
    This is a R22 system. Sorry this is all the data that I have. I am trying to get a service tech. back out but with 95 degree temps their is a long wait list. I am trying to figure out what may be wrong to convey that information. I want the unit repaired and the tech to show up with what parts are needed

Post Likes
    The fan does not run all the time. What he jumped was the compressor control to run in high only. This is a 2 speed unit.

Post Likes
    You need to call the service tech back or another tech. We do not give DIY technical advice here.

Post Likes
    I'll leave this open, but if it turns DIY it will be closed. Also, please read the rules, no pricing, I did an edit on your repair cost post.

Post Likes
    The fan does not run all the time. What he jumped was the compressor control to run in high only. This is a 2 speed unit.
    Well not being familiar with that particular model i cannot help you. But if it a two speed condenser then it was probable a variable speed motor and not just a three speed which is where you are losing your efficiency at (Just a guess). Sorry hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in