Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke older style mercury thermostat - can I get a replacement? Trol-a-temp

Post Likes

Broke older style mercury thermostat - can I get a replacement? Trol-a-temp

Hi,

I have an older Honeywell trol-a-temp thermostat which I managed to break. I am posting images of my items, but can I just replace it with a digital thermostat? If not, can I buy something off of ebay or somewhere else that might work?

Mastertrol Mark V, 2 zones.

If i put two of the wires together, I can get it to turn the heat on, the other two wires will turn the air conditioning on. There are a total of 3 wires for this.

The way the setup works, is I have the master control of heat, fan, or A/C in an office, the thermostats are all set on their own, when i turn on the master control to one of the three selections, the heat/a/c goes on & the thermostat will stop calling when ti gets to the temperature.

Is there some way for me to make this work with a three wire thermostat?

Thanks,
    Rich

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 9178
Size:  24.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 6166
Size:  25.5 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 5267
Size:  51.9 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 6080
Size:  55.8 KB

Post Likes
    This is not a diy site. I hesitate as to what advice I can give you

For Example......I have no idea what voltages you are working with here.

Maybe call a pro in this instance...Check our map for one in your area.

Did you break the Vessel that held the mercury?

Post Likes
    Hi,

Sorry I didnt realize this was a DIY question. What happened is during some painting, the old thermostat was removed from the wall & then somehow thrown out. I have the wires sticking out. I called my HVAC guy who said they dont make those thermostats & I should buy a new $ system. I really only want to replace the thermostat until the system does finally die (it is from 1983). I know its on borrowed time, but its a new to me house.

I am guessing the guy was more interested in selling me a huge system vs helping me find a replacement thermostat.

I am not looking for DIY, just more a direction to look to get a replacement thermostat.

EDIT: the guy did say something regarding it had to be a mercury thermostat which sounded wierd to me.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-13-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    Since you have a separate changeover control in the system, you can use pretty much any mechanical, or battery powered digital, thermostat in place of either of the zone thermostats.
    Any competent tech should be able to figure it out, but some guys don't even try when they see numbered terminals instead of R, Y, W, etc..

There is also a way you can wire and configure some heat pump thermostats to zone 1 that would allow you to eliminate that ugly old changeover control, but you need at least 6 control wires to the zone 1 thermostat location, and at least a basic understanding of how that system operates.

Post Likes
    White Rodgers has digital stats that work fine with those systems. I'm sur others do too. Some techs just go for the upsale.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    White Rodgers has digital stats that work fine with those systems.
    Yeap!
    Pretty much any battery powered digital will work, but White-Rogers is the only brand I know for sure has thermostats that can be used as the Zone 1 thermostat when the system doesn't have a changeover control, or if you want to eliminate an existing one.
    With a White-Rodgers single stage heat pump thermostat, that has separate B and O terminals that get powered even when the stat is configured for gas heat, installed as the "zone 1" thermostat, you can eliminate the changeover control.

Post Likes
    and that thermostat is NOT mercury. it's an old magnet style. they still sell them at lowes...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    I've seen those stats used in mobile homes where the heat/cool switch is on the furnace.
    It's a standard "heat only" thermostat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I've seen those stats used in mobile homes where the heat/cool switch is on the furnace.
    It's a standard "heat only" thermostat.
    It isn't one of those 2 wire mobile home thermostats, it is a 3 wire(R, W, Y) heat/cool thermostat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It isn't one of those 2 wire mobile home thermostats, it is a 3 wire(R, W, Y) heat/cool thermostat.
    I didn't see the 3rd wire in the photo, but I see where he described it. Looks like one of the WR stats may be the solution...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by richtj99 View Post
    Hi,

Sorry I didnt realize this was a DIY question. What happened is during some painting, the old thermostat was removed from the wall & then somehow thrown out. I have the wires sticking out. I called my HVAC guy who said they dont make those thermostats & I should buy a new $ system. I really only want to replace the thermostat until the system does finally die (it is from 1983). I know its on borrowed time, but its a new to me house.

I am guessing the guy was more interested in selling me a huge system vs helping me find a replacement thermostat.

I am not looking for DIY, just more a direction to look to get a replacement thermostat.

EDIT: the guy did say something regarding it had to be a mercury thermostat which sounded wierd to me.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Just looking at the T-stat pictures I thought you needed a new system too, if you have a good relationship with your HVAC guy and you trust him, why wouldn't you trust that your 30 year old system needs replacing? If you don't trust him then call another company, I'll bet they tell you the same thing.

Post Likes
    I have a brand new relationship with the HVAC guy. Really I would rather find a thermostat that works, give it a year or two & get another system when I am ready.

I was looking on google shopping: Links to direct purchase sites are not permitted.

Would this one should work? I also was looking for the mobile home style ones but I would appreciate any recommendation. Again I am not looking for help installing it, I just want to know which thermostat will work.

On one hand, I have the HVAC guy saying no thermostat in the world will work but one from 1983 vs you guys saying that pretty much any three wire one should work. I am expecting that you guys are correct.

THanks,
    Rich
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-14-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: removed link to direct purchase site

Post Likes
    With that ancient panel, can you have your switching on a thermostat? Seems to me no but we haven't had a customer with one of them in many a year. They've all modernized!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    With that ancient panel, can you have your switching on a thermostat? Seems to me no but we haven't had a customer with one of them in many a year. They've all modernized!
    A master stat can be installed.

That is a relic of a zone panel.

Post Likes
    I just went through this with my customer. Oil burner tech offered 3 new t87 stats with new oil furnace. What a mess he had. Those stats are not available anywhere I looked. They are not your conventional t-stat , even though its 3 wires. A new zone system is in order for you unless you can find the stat that was misplaced or thrown out.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Post Likes
    Just so you dont waste time searching the web for a new one, they mandated all mercury stats taken off the shelves , and not to be sold. Some company picks them up as they are hazardous waste.

Post Likes
    This isn't a Honeywell, it's a Robertshaw. It is not mercury, it is snap action.

Still think I'd investigate a modern panel that can accomodate future needs like dual fuel and staging. At minimum, they'd have capacity control. Then you could use any thermostat you wanted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BURL-REF View Post
    They are not your conventional t-stat , even though its 3 wires. A new zone system is in order for you unless you can find the stat that was misplaced or thrown out.
    A conventional thermostat will still work, he will just need to make sure the thermostat is switched to the same mode as his changeover control.
    The current thermostat has a 24v input, an output for heating, and an output for cooling.
    It isn't very difficult to figure out how to make a conventional thermostat work with that.

The only residential zoning system you might be straight up screwed if you broke a thermostat for would be the master thermostat for an old Lennox 2 Speed zoning system.

Post Likes
    Mark, I believe the stat needs a reverse call in heating on y to power m6 and close the damper. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure.

Post Likes
    Mark. these thermostats are called type 2, there is no deadband on them, they either make r&w or r&y. There is no in between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in