+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: oil pressure problem

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    JP

are you insinuating that the cc pressure or suction pressure effects the pressure you would read off the top of the oil pump?

are you insinuating that if the compressor was running on a bench with no refrigerant that his oil pressure would be less than 85 psi?

Post Likes
    JP

are you insinuating that the cc pressure or suction pressure effects the pressure you would read off the top of the oil pump?

are you insinuating that if the compressor was running on a bench with no refrigerant that his oil pressure would be less than 85 psi?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    JP

Whassamatter, stinky?

You think that was so important that you posted it twice?

Post Likes
    He's one of "them" who has to make his point twice!

Post Likes
    JP

The discharge pressure varies in direct proportion to the crankcase pressure.

I wonder if the discharge pressure builds up to the point where the relief valve opens? maybe thats why it runs fine for a little while.

Post Likes
    It starts up at about 85PSI and then drops to around 50 PSI. My CC pressure is about 25 PSI. I never see much variation in the suction pressure. It will run like this for various times and sooner or later trips on low oil pressure. It has run for two weeks one time before tripping. I have not had my gauges on it when it trips so I don't know if the pump output is going down or the CC pressure is coming up. I have done a piston blow by test and found no problem. The comp. pumps down just fine and holds. I thought maybe the OPC was bad so I installed a new one with the same results. The oil pump is newly installed because at first I thought the pump was worn and not maintaining pressure. I have never run up on this problem before and I don't mind saying I AM STUMPED!!

Post Likes
    New oil pump. Did you use the right gasket?

Have you checked for a pressurized crankcase?

What does your contactor look like?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    It starts up at about 85PSI and then drops to around 50 PSI. My CC pressure is about 25 PSI. I never see much variation in the suction pressure. It will run like this for various times and sooner or later trips on low oil pressure. It has run for two weeks one time before tripping. I have not had my gauges on it when it trips so I don't know if the pump output is going down or the CC pressure is coming up. I have done a piston blow by test and found no problem. The comp. pumps down just fine and holds. I thought maybe the OPC was bad so I installed a new one with the same results. The oil pump is newly installed because at first I thought the pump was worn and not maintaining pressure. I have never run up on this problem before and I don't mind saying I AM STUMPED!!
    it may not even be an oil related issue, maybe the compressor is tripping on overload, have you thought about that?

Post Likes
    Is this a part start motor?!

Post Likes
    It starts up at about 85PSI and then drops to around 50 PSI. My CC pressure is about 25 PSI. I never see much variation in the suction pressure. It will run like this for various times and sooner or later trips on low oil pressure. It has run for two weeks one time before tripping...
    if it runs long enough that you can not catch it with your gages on it, then it is not a failed compressor. 25 psid is a fine pressure for the compressor...hell, 10 psid is fine as far as copeland is concerned. the question that i have is this: what was it 1, 2, 4 or more months ago and what is it now? it sounds to me like several issues may be happening here.

how long does it take to drop from 60 psid to 25 psid? what is the application? are you watching the oil temperature while it runs? as the oil gets hotter, it thins out. that causes the net oil pressure to drop. you show up and the oil is 'cold' and all seems fine. perhaps your oil is also hanging up in the system some what.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Post Likes

You can't whistle cryptically.

I'm already whistling cryptically, so quit copying me.

Post Likes
    QUIT SAYING EVERYTHING 5 SECONDS BEFORE I SAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    No it is not a part winding start .

Post Likes
    Yes I used the right gasket. I also did a piston blow by test and the CC pressure and suction pressure dropped at the same rate down to 0 psi. The oil temp is normal. The contactor is just fine. I reset the OPC last Friday and the unit has been running just fine. Checked NPOP today it was 15 PSI. Pump pressure 55PSI, CC pressure 40 PSI. Like I said the unit just takes a notion to run just fine for a while and then starts tripping the OPC. WE have had 29 degree nights and 50 degree nights for the past 3 days so I can't see ambient temp having anything to do with the tripping problem.

Post Likes
    ...WE have had 29 degree nights and 50 degree nights for the past 3 days so I can't see ambient temp having anything to do with the tripping problem.
    low head pressure usually = low suction pressure. low suction pressure = low refrigerant flow rates. low refrigerant flow rates = poor oil return. poor oil return = no oil. no oil = 0 oil psid. < 10 psid = trip oil pressure switch. trip oil pressure switch = unhappy customer. unhappy customer = unhappy service tech.

math is fun!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

17. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    low head pressure usually = low suction pressure. low suction pressure = low refrigerant flow rates. low refrigerant flow rates = poor oil return. poor oil return = no oil. no oil = 0 oil psid. < 10 psid = trip oil pressure switch. trip oil pressure switch = unhappy customer. unhappy customer = unhappy service tech.

math is fun!

That's not math....That's Arithmaslick....
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Are the suction and crankcase pressures the same?

Could you be seeing an intermittent floodback?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    low head pressure usually = low suction pressure. low suction pressure = low refrigerant flow rates. low refrigerant flow rates = poor oil return. poor oil return = no oil. no oil = 0 oil psid. &lt; 10 psid = trip oil pressure switch. trip oil pressure switch = unhappy customer. unhappy customer = unhappy service tech.

math is fun!
    This is the only kind of math I actually understand!!!!!

Post Likes
    jpsmith1cm yes they are. I did the piston blow by test by putting a gauge on the CC and one on the suction port. I slowly closed the suction service valve and watch my gauges. They both fall at the same rate down to 0 PSI at which point I know I do not have an over pressurized CC. I guess it's possible to have an intermittent flood but haven't seen one. My rooftop condenser has 3 fans with one controlled by a fan cycle switch. The unit also has a 3-way head pressure control valve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in