+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: "Always on time or you won't pay a dime"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    I will say this: as far as technical training there is very little. But there's also relatively little sales training either. I must be at a weird One Hour.
    Further, there are only 3 techs (myself included) here and they seem to know what they're doing. I have 18yrs experience, another has at least 25yrs experience, and the junior one probably has around 10. When we say a system needs to go, it needs to go. And I have yet to see a motor go for $1500.
    I know it probably feels like an attack on your specific company but it's more geared towards the trend of sales companies that shoot for mass volume equipment sales and high ticket prices, it just so happens this is often franchises like one hour.

If your one hour is doing things the right way it's great, you probably have an owner who's not going along with a lot of what the corporate office is trying to feed him.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I would venture to say that there are quite a number of smaller companies that owe a good measure of their success to the sheer volume of those "boo boos" in need of fixing.
    Was out at a condo they installed the furnace, coil and condenser at last tuesday that wouldn't drain and was leaking water everywhere. None of the joints were glued and it was clogged. Water went EVERYWHERE. Only thing they did right was add a float switch. Took me over an hour to clear the clog and redo the drain. Wish I had before and after pics. I took it from 3 p traps on an upflow to 1. I lost count of the number of t's I pulled out. Me thinks the the installer used what he had on hand instead of leaving to get the fittings to it correctly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    When people say "the yellow van company," I don't think of One Hour, there is another "Yellow Van" company in my area that has been doing the most horrible work in RNC and replacements for decades since before One Hour existed.
    A large number of the systems in my "wall of shame" posts were originally done by them.

For the DFW locals, you should know who I'm talking about. The company name rhymes with FriedWire.
    They are the worst.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbhvac View Post
    I don't believe the customer is always right. The customer is wrong a LOT! I will just have to disagree with you here. If I've been running on call for hours and hours and hours in 105 degree Texas weather, I'm not really in the mood to hand out Dairy Queen cards. I just want to make the repair and move on. I make it a practice to show appreciation for services I can not do myself and I expect the same. If you don't appreciate the fact that I even answered your call, there is no pleasing you. Even if I fix your a/c, we will then argue about everything else especially the bill which will be very high during on-call hours. By the way, did I mention I work for a company in Texas that's been around for over 75 years with no advertising, no web site, no Facebook, no twitter, nothing but 100% word of mouth referral?
    The customer is never wrong. They might think they know what the problem is, but that doesnt make them wrong. You are in a SERVICE business, they are paying you for a service.You can sprinkle on what ever you want about service, but at the end of the day, its a service. They pay you for a service.

It is your job as a SERVICE technician to have the customer as #1. You have to listen to the customer to have an understanding of what it could be. You have to always be nice courteous to them, after all they are paying you. You have to explain what is wrong, why you think it went wrong, and the best solution for that particular customers needs. You need to educate the customer.This business is not a "fix it and go", any reputable company will tell you that.

At the end of the day they are paying your wage.

Thats rediculous to argue with a customer about anything. You need to sit them down, and have a conversation about it. Doing any sort of arguing to a customer is horrible.

"if you dont appreciate the fact that i answered your call there is no pleasing you" - your lucky they called you!, dont turn this the other way around. if they didnt call you, you would be out of business or have a job!

Just because you have been working for hours and hours, doesnt mean you can act like a butt. You should treat every customer the same, always #1 and always respectfull. You make it seem like your MOOD matters. You probably know this but customers dont care about your mood or how many hours you worked. They are paying you and deserve the best service that you can give them.

This is basic customer service 101. Go to a fast food restraunt, it takes them a while to make your food, and you complain to a manager, what happens? %99.99 of the time they will give you a free meal.

My point is customers complaining is the nature of the business, but you should always treat them #1.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comoutsid322 View Post
    The customer is never wrong. They might think they know what the problem is, but that doesnt make them wrong. You are in a SERVICE business, they are paying you for a service.You can sprinkle on what ever you want about service, but at the end of the day, its a service. They pay you for a service.

It is your job as a SERVICE technician to have the customer as #1. You have to listen to the customer to have an understanding of what it could be. You have to always be nice courteous to them, after all they are paying you. You have to explain what is wrong, why you think it went wrong, and the best solution for that particular customers needs. You need to educate the customer.This business is not a "fix it and go", any reputable company will tell you that.

Thats rediculous to argue with a customer about anything. You need to sit them down, and have a conversation about it. Doing any sort of arguing to a customer is horrible.

"if you dont appreciate the fact that i answered your call there is no pleasing you" - your lucky they called you!, dont turn this the other way around. if they didnt call you, you would be out of business or have a job!

Just because you have been working for hours and hours, doesnt mean you can act like a butt. You should treat every customer the same, always #1 and always respectfull. You make it seem like your MOOD matters. You probably know this but customers dont care about your mood or how many hours you worked. They are paying you and deserve the best service that you can give them.

This is basic customer service 101. Go to a fast food restraunt, it takes them a while to make your food, and you complain to a manager, what happens? %99.99 of the time they will give you a free meal.

My point is customers complaining is the nature of the business, but you should always treat them #1.
    So you're saying you don't have a single customer on your do not go back list?

Must be nice to get all the good ones, I've been to backwoods meth trailers, had customers stiff my boss on $1000+ on the bill, worked with a guy who had a gun pulled on him and warning shot fired, dogs that would attack and the HO wouldn't do anything about it, I'm sure there's more.

Sometimes it's in our best interest to fire a customer...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    So you're saying you don't have a single customer on your do not go back list?

Must be nice to get all the good ones, I've been to backwoods meth trailers, had customers stiff my boss on $1000+ on the bill, worked with a guy who had a gun pulled on him and warning shot fired, dogs that would attack and the HO wouldn't do anything about it, I'm sure there's more.

Sometimes it's in our best interest to fire a customer...
    Who said theft of services and cooking meth is wrong? Hey they probably think it's wrong to have morals.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comoutsid322 View Post

Keep singing that toon. Let me know how it works out for you. This is not my first Rodeo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    There's a difference between providing good service and being professional, from tolerating manipulative, abusive, and scam full customers. Just because they're paying doesn't entitle them to to be any of the above. Not everyone is willing to sell their souls to a customer for a few bucks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by git-r-dun View Post
    There's a difference between providing good service and being professional, from tolerating manipulative, abusive, and scam full customers. Just because they're paying doesn't entitle them to to be any of the above. Not everyone is willing to sell their souls to a customer for a few bucks.
    As if you're reading my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I like weeding out the bad ones. All they ever did was slow me down and cost me money. That being said, my GOOD customers get my undivided attention.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in