+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: turning in notice on monday

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes

Dont take it personal

Most employeers know what you are worth but wll only pay what is needed to keep you. Employeers are only trying to do the best they can to make a buck. If they do not offer you on increase to stay maybe you are not really that valuable. Stay with the small guy if you can, more advancement potential. Maybe you can take them to the next level?
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Verbal in our business is ok. If you are in the middle of any thing and you have the time between jobs and are not to excited about getting out of there! I suggest offering to complete whatever projects are hanging. They may still tell you to get out but it's good PR and it saves another guy from having to move into a project that someone else started.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Most employeers know what you are worth but wll only pay what is needed to keep you. Employeers are only trying to do the best they can to make a buck. If they do not offer you on increase to stay maybe you are not really that valuable. Stay with the small guy if you can, more advancement potential. Maybe you can take them to the next level?
    Dont take it personal
    No offense, but how do you NOT take it personal? It IS personal to the employee! It's our wage.

An employee goes to work at the very basis, to make money. We want paid fairly just like the business owner wants paid fairly.

An owner looks at screwing off on company time as stealing. How can the employee not look at underpayment for his time the same way?

Post Likes
    I have always done it verbally and feel that email, texts or letters is not professional. I feel I owe them and myself the decency of a face to face discussion as to why I am leaving. As far as employers offering you more to stay has always been a sore point for me. Why is the guy worth more now that you are about to lose him? I have never had to face this but my response would be, too little too late.

Post Likes
    so the owner throws the OP a $4 an hour raise,and the others techs are going to know he got it/something to stay ...then the line forms to the right.thats why some owners just say leave.... now! i don't need 2 weeks of you exiting my company and leaving me with POd techs..
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    No offense, but how do you NOT take it personal? It IS personal to the employee! It's our wage.

An employee goes to work at the very basis, to make money. We want paid fairly just like the business owner wants paid fairly.

An owner looks at screwing off on company time as stealing. How can the employee not look at underpayment for his time the same way?
    One thing you're overlooking.....what constitutes "fair pay" varies from company to company. Many variables. Size of company, number of customers, type of customers, etc.

Not all companies are equal. Not all employees are equal.

A supermarket rack guy may be "worth more" than a residential HVAC guy. But, not if your company is predominately resi HVAC. An unemployed rack guy may take a job at a resi HVAC company because that's all he can find at the time......but if in a year, he finds a better paying job at a reefer outfit, does that mean that his current employer was taking advantage of him?

Granted, there is a case to be made, that if an employer offers you a hefty raise upon notice, then they must feel that you are worth more than you were being paid.

But that may not always be the case. I've never hired a guy from another company for "more money". Because, if "more money" is all that motivates him, he'll be moving along soon enough.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    it is impossible to keep that guy!
    there will eventually be somebody willing to pay him more!

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    One thing you're overlooking.....what constitutes "fair pay" varies from company to company. Many variables. Size of company, number of customers, type of customers, etc.

Not all companies are equal. Not all employees are equal.

A supermarket rack guy may be "worth more" than a residential HVAC guy. But, not if your company is predominately resi HVAC. An unemployed rack guy may take a job at a resi HVAC company because that's all he can find at the time......but if in a year, he finds a better paying job at a reefer outfit, does that mean that his current employer was taking advantage of him?

Granted, there is a case to be made, that if an employer offers you a hefty raise upon notice, then they must feel that you are worth more than you were being paid.

But that may not always be the case. I've never hired a guy from another company for "more money". Because, if "more money" is all that motivates him, he'll be moving along soon enough.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    company Im at now are stuck in the same old rut owners resistance to change , no direct deposit, actual pagers still, have cell phones to but no voice mail,no budget for training classes, they buy vehicles at action to save money ,which is a good idea,but that money apparrently goes into owners pocketsnot back into investing in companyto grow it. THere is more opportunity at new companyas they are trying to grow the service dept which is only been around for about 4 yrs they were primarily a construction company until the construction sector went downhill so they decided to start service deptcompany itself has been around since mid sixties and they still have lots of work going on considering the economy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    company Im at now are stuck in the same old rut owners resistance to change , no direct deposit, actual pagers still, have cell phones to but no voice mail,no budget for training classes, they buy vehicles at action to save money ,which is a good idea,but that money apparrently goes into owners pocketsnot back into investing in companyto grow it. THere is more opportunity at new companyas they are trying to grow the service dept which is only been around for about 4 yrs they were primarily a construction company until the construction sector went downhill so they decided to start service deptcompany itself has been around since mid sixties and they still have lots of work going on considering the economy
    Interesting list. I'd be curious to see a comprehensive list of "stay/go" issues for technicians, and in what order they prioritize them.

Post Likes
    Interesting list. I'd be curious to see a comprehensive list of "stay/go" issues for technicians, and in what order they prioritize them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    It wasn't a drive-by, it was a fair and honest question.

Different people are motivated by different things.

Let's take the "truck" thing for an example. Does a new service truck put any more munny in your pocket? Is a newer truck more important than more munny? Would you rather drive an older truck, and receive better training?

Let's face it. Hookers make great munny....but it's not much of a life.

How often are you on call? Do you have to get up at 12:30 am, to drive 50 miles one-way to replace a dirty filter, while boss-man is home nice and warm in his bed?

Lots of different criteria to look at. I'm curious as to what the guys here see as the biggies, and which issues are non-events.

Post Likes
    for me it is easy!

since we are union, everybody gets great benefits, when i was non union that was number 1!
    we all mostly get close to the same pay, when i was non union pay was important, that being said!

1. good accounts, good equipment to work on.
    2. hours, I like getting 2000 hours and a few hundred hours OT!
    3. Training
    4. hot girls in the office!

we have had many guys leave because they did not like the dispatcher
    wanted to work on bigger stuff
    another buck an hour??????????
    less overtime
    more overtime
    friends or family at other shops
    less piping
    more piping
    less controls
    more controls
    more rooftops
    less rooftops
    more on call
    less on call
    didnt like the service manager
    didnt like the girls in the office
    didnt like the boss
    didnt like me
    didnt like the paperwork
    mad because owners nephew got to keep the copper
    mad because they deliberately left a liebert unit off and burnt up fortune 500 company server and the boss said something to them!
    more vacation
    better accounts or so they thought
    more freedom
    less accountability
    closer to home
    no gps
    went where they could put 3 baby seats in their van
    went where they could drop off all their children on their way to work at 8:30
    went where they could take 2 hour lunches at hooter

thats a few??

Post Likes
    john,
    have you had many experiences with the aforementioned hookers?

Post Likes
    I was promised an apprenticeship from a company for working there for almost 3 yrs doing a good job. (well i was not preforming a great job but they were happy that i was doing what i did to improve the company) getting sales and all that jazz) and unfortunetly the heating season kicked up again and they hired 3 guys and i was the one that was training them to do the pms (resi) (the boss said i was a very good influecence upon customers and myboss wanted to show them how the company expects from their employees) so i was mentioning to the freshly new hired employees, how i was about to get an apprenticeship soon probably in a few months and how i am excited to finally get a chance to do it....

2 of the 3 guys go behind my back and say they will not stay if they dont get offered an apprenticeship.. so of course i got put on the back burner and they did the apprenticeship because the company thought i would stay because i was treated good ...

i was very pissed off about the whole thing. so i asked them about doing something different o top of the normal stuff i was doing reg. and they kinda refused because they said that i was not capable of preforming this without any prior knowledge and they said i do really good at what im doing now and they wanted me to go into doing installs instead of going into service and of course i had many yrs under my belt doing installs as a helper so i was golden candiate for that. but i did not want that opportunity (most of the time Installers dont become service techs if they dont start doing service first. so i decided to look for another company that can offer that to me. but i still stayed at the company knowing that hrs were there and i liked where i was excpet for gaining more knowledge in the service part of it.

so they both get out of school and are excited about having a chance to do resi ac's. not even a month goes by and i heard thru someone else that they both got offered at a huge company and how they both gave in their 2 week notices. one of the two guys burned the bridges and stormed out of the office. a month or two goes by and we are in the ac season and they are kinda short on ac techs and at that time i found a company that was willing to teach me service and put me into the apprenticeship for commerical ac roof tops. so i advised my company at the time that if you do not offer me more then im leaving because i dont want to stay here if im not going to be moving up. they did offer me the apprenticeship but it felt like i was being lied to so i say i cannot accept the offer and here is my 2 week notice. i think i only worked for that first week and they said on friday night for me to pack in my truck and go. work was getting slow and they wanted the hrs to be given to someone else.. but my other company wasnt ready for me so i was out of work for a week (good thing was they still paid me for it thinking maybe i would change my mind) and i did not burn any bridges but i was very sad to go good friends and bosses that were only looking out for their company and i fully understand. unfortunetly the recession hit about 6 months later and my old job position was taken and i was still without an apprenticeship and now without a job. which was a thing that i was ready to deal with (i hit depression) staying home not doing anything getting fat and lazy. lucky i found a job maybe 6 months later but it wasnt the job that i would have applied for if i wanted to. only because i needed to get out of my bad piece of mind and surprisingly they offtered me an apprenticeship at a very low wage compared to what i was use to... so i completed the apprenticeship and i get back to work and my boss gives me a 30 cent raise and tells me that im only worth this much because... i threw the 30 cent raise in his face and left soo fast thinking that i would get offered some good job somewhere where i was appreciated but i wasnt out of work (doing side jobs for a bit passing by still not having a full time job) and i get into a company that sees me as a potential tech with a willingness to learn so they take me on but of course at a low rate at what im use to but at least now its at a rate that can pay rent and other stuff and very little left over. in the next years i did get a pay raise but not that much but at least its not a shot in the face. its an acceptable pay raise

3 yrs later im still at the same company and i always think im worth more but... in my head im afraid to switch just because i dont want to be screwed like that again.... This is a very big eye opener for me as a tech and i think this stuff happens all the time.... so when you think its always greener on the other side maybe it isnt what its cracked up to be. and now i feel i should have still working at that same company that i was at before.... wonder where i would be in my life if i just accepted that apprenticeship in the first place....but i think i would still be doing 313D resi apprenticeship instead of the commerical 313 A what do u all think about my story.....? and do you think that i made the right decision? I am now a 3rd year apprentice working towards my final year in a year or so. not getting paid as close as i would like but happy to be at where i am at.
    Last edited by akelesis; 02-26-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: clairifing info

Post Likes
    my list of things that i would consider is

- a truck that doesnt break down as often. a van that i can personalize or work with what i have but put in some new stuff if need be.

-having help if i need it and not being told that im not capable of doing something when i know i am. (not all cases of course, some stuff may be over my head but at least i can attemp it if it comes up)

-company accepting me to take a little longer knowing that its going to be done right but a little longer time not much 1/2-1 hr longer then usual.i dont like doing a butcher job so i can take pride in my work and not be rushed. little things that may be more servicable

-having extra parts in my van and constantly refilling when need be.
    - Company uniform(coat, pants shirt) is very important to me shows company cares about techs look and helps me get better organized with work clothes.

-Company work phone and not calling me up on my personal phone and not paying for time spent on it. hate that!! it can add up very quickly and dont want to be paying for something i dont need to be.

-employee preformance annually/by annual things to improve, and pay raises if need be. not always the case but would be nice.

-consistant hrs throughout the year that is reasonable.

and of course a hot dispatcher that can let you go home early if plans are there (haha)
    Last edited by akelesis; 02-26-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: clairifing info.

Post Likes
    hot dispatcher should be #1!!!!!!!!!1

[IMG]http://3.bp.********.com/-QeTJwhQ7Ay0/TjgKv_wlb7I/AAAAAAAAJ9o/n9FfbEhl5Lg/s1600/katrina_hot_secretary-1024x768.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by akelesis View Post
    my list of things that i would consider is

- a truck that doesnt break down as often. a van that i can personalize or work with what i have but put in some new stuff if need be.

-having help if i need it and not being told that im not capable of doing something when i know i am. (not all cases of course, some stuff may be over my head but at least i can attemp it if it comes up)

-company accepting me to take a little longer knowing that its going to be done right but a little longer time not much 1/2-1 hr longer then usual.i dont like doing a butcher job so i can take pride in my work and not be rushed. little things that may be more servicable

-having extra parts in my van and constantly refilling when need be.
    - Company uniform(coat, pants shirt) is very important to me shows company cares about techs look and helps me get better organized with work clothes.

-Company work phone and not calling me up on my personal phone and not paying for time spent on it. hate that!! it can add up very quickly and dont want to be paying for something i dont need to be.

-employee preformance annually/by annual things to improve, and pay raises if need be. not always the case but would be nice.

-consistant hrs throughout the year that is reasonable.

and of course a hot dispatcher that can let you go home early if plans are there (haha)

Post Likes
    ya that would be nice.nice attractive dispatcher it would make my coming to work more enjoyable (-:

i just realized this is kinda sort off topic.. Klein makes odd stuff for tool accessories. like bbq set and a beer opener..? wat the f.... are techs really that bored that they have time popping open a beer or starting a bbq on a rooftop? i havent seen anyone buy one before ahaha . a thing i would like to have at work is to have a manitory bbq on the starting up the heating season and cooling season to encourage techs. but i guess a paycheck is how they do that i guess (-: this is a long shot but it might be within the work qualifications requirement for a bbq Just a thought

Post Likes
    I have my list of why I would change jobs too#1is reliable truck #2 is being progreesive in the use of technology #3 training for techs #4 future opportunity to advance #5 is pay. the new company do not have to go into office time is sent in thru email jobs are a lot of data centers cell phones are smart phones so you can access your company email. that is why Im switching jobs

Post Likes
    you forgot hot chick in office!

Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    I have my list of why I would change jobs too#1is reliable truck #2 is being progreesive in the use of technology #3 training for techs #4 future opportunity to advance #5 is pay. the new company do not have to go into office time is sent in thru email jobs are a lot of data centers cell phones are smart phones so you can access your company email. that is why Im switching jobs

Post Likes
    A hot chcik in the office is usually a bad idea. makes guy want to go there more often, make up excuses to do so. makes them want to call in more than necessary in an effort to be on her good side, again time waster. dispatcher should be little old lady with false teeth. its not like a bar where you need hot chick bartenders to get constuction guys to come spend money at lunch.
    to me, a few things to keep guys happy are...newer vehicle not going to break down or junk up their home, phone that works well, direct deposit if they want it, plenty of hours if they want it, treated fair, paid well, training when needed, working on new tech stuff sometimes to keep them up to date, recognition at end of year or sooner if company is doing well, after all without manpower its hard to make money. a good workforce is part of the profit package.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in