View Poll Results: IS THIS "GOOD WORKMANSHIP" WHICH YOU WOULD BE PROUD TO CALL YOUR OWN

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I DO IT THIS WAY TOO.

5 6.58%
  • NO, YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

71 93.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS CAN'T BE GOOD WORKMANSHIP?

Post Likes

THIS CAN'T BE GOOD WORKMANSHIP?

A local A/C contractor installed this ductwork. Ducts are lying on top of one another without support. In one case the coolant line is routed THROUGH a duct.

My question is how this contractor considers this GOOD WORKMANSHIP?

Post Likes
    It's missing a trap and a pan too.

Post Likes
    That HAS to be a DIY. Otherwise, how would it pass code?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Post Likes
    Where is this job at and did they hire a licensed HVAC Contractor?

Post Likes
    Although the contractor is licensed, and advised the homeowner that a permit was pulled, it was discovered that no permit was pulled, hence this spiderweb nightmare was never inspected.

Post Likes
    No permit was pulled, so it never was inspected.

Post Likes
    This job is (was) in Bradenton, FL. It was been completely torn out and replaced by a licensed contractor who pulled a permit and had the job inspected.
    The homeowner is currently suing the previous licensed contractor based on his (get this) ten year guarantee of "WORKMANSHIP." The licensed contractor's response was that another A/C contractor caused this so as to get the replacement job. Alternatively that the condition was the result of others going into the attic and causing the problem. He refused to even look at it. (He saw these photos.)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MLHARRISFL View Post
    This job is (was) in Bradenton, FL. It was been completely torn out and replaced by a licensed contractor who pulled a permit and had the job inspected.
    The homeowner is currently suing the previous licensed contractor based on his (get this) ten year guarantee of "WORKMANSHIP." The licensed contractor's response was that another A/C contractor caused this so as to get the replacement job. Alternatively that the condition was the result of others going into the attic and causing the problem. He refused to even look at it. (He saw these photos.)
    What is the name of the contractor?

Are you sure the 1st contractor is licensed?

Post Likes
    I don't think it would correct to name the contractor that first did this job until after the court has decided whether or not his claim that "He did nothing wrong," is accurate. He's just sorry he put a ten year workmanship guranatee in his contract. That should be tomorrow 1-26-10. I'll let you know later. Yes, I have verified that he has a valid contractor's license.

Post Likes
    he has a valid contractor's license.
    Which goes to show that if you can pass a test and have the knowledge that doesn't mean you'll use it.

Post Likes
    And isn't that the sad truth!

Post Likes
    OMG!! How did you get pics of my house!
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Post Likes
    Sie haben eine sehr flüchtige Persönlichkeit mein Freund.

Post Likes
    A local A/C contractor installed this ductwork. Ducts are lying on top of one another without support. In one case the coolant line is routed THROUGH a duct.

My question is how this contractor considers this GOOD WORKMANSHIP?
    Im confuse.....Coolant lines? is this a new system where anti-freeze is been used , I have seen and work with brine (salty water) on industrial applications,,, but in residential?? love the ductwork, someone who has worked in AZ probably did it, no doubt about it , but still the coolants line thing is bugging me...

Post Likes
    Ok Guys, I called it a coolant line in error. Reason, I am the homeowner, not a HVAC professional like yourselves. This line runs from the air handler to the outside compressor and I was under the impression coolant.......Freon R22 runs through it. I could still be wrong. It is a big copper line and I thought the coolant ran through it.

I took the contractor to court yesterday. No verdict yet, the judge will mail it to both parties. Progrnosis? Contractor will get nailed for two reasons. 1. he failed to pull a building permit after including the cost of the permit in his contract figures to the homeowner. He says it must have slipped by his office staff. 2. After the homowner notified him of potential problems, the contractor looked at pictures sent by the homeowner but failed to actually visit the installation for himself before telling the homowner there was "nothing wrong" with the installation. 3. Contractor refused to do any further work with the homeowner because he testified the homeowner was RUDE to his staff and technicians. Oh My, that's a contract breaker right there I'd say. I thought it was a beach of warantee of workmanship. The judge thinks its more a breach of contract. BYT, I failed to mention that during a prior switchout of the air handler the contractor left the old air handler and ductwork shoved off to the side in the attic crawl space. He testified it must have been hot in the attic do the installers to a short cut. YOU THINK? I will revisit the formum with the final verdict announcement.

Post Likes
    Ok Guys, I called it a coolant line in error. Reason, I am the homeowner, not a HVAC professional like yourselves. This line runs from the air handler to the outside compressor and I was under the impression coolant.......Freon R22 runs through it. I could still be wrong. It is a big copper line and I thought the coolant ran through it.

I took the contractor to court yesterday. No verdict yet, the judge will mail it to both parties. Progrnosis? Contractor will get nailed for two reasons. 1. he failed to pull a building permit after including the cost of the permit in his contract figures to the homeowner. He says it must have slipped by his office staff. 2. After the homowner notified him of potential problems, the contractor looked at pictures sent by the homeowner but failed to actually visit the installation for himself before telling the homowner there was "nothing wrong" with the installation. 3. Contractor refused to do any further work with the homeowner because he testified the homeowner was RUDE to his staff and technicians. Oh My, that's a contract breaker right there I'd say. I thought it was a beach of warantee of workmanship. The judge thinks its more a breach of contract. BYT, I failed to mention that during a prior switchout of the air handler the contractor left the old air handler and ductwork shoved off to the side in the attic crawl space. He testified it must have been hot in the attic do the installers to a short cut. YOU THINK? I will revisit the formum with the final verdict announcement.

Ok Mate.. we all know what you meant by coolant lines, thanks for the professional thing , after what they did to your house you still call us professionals,, lol,, any ways sadly in my state AZ that kind of work is very common, considering folks are now paying $2300 for a package heat pump full install, hack contractors are cutting all 4 corners just to make 50 bucks profit, Good luck ,sue this hacker, take them to the licensing board that will teach them.

Post Likes
    Can you post pics of the correct install, to compare?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by artdavila View Post
    Can you post pics of the correct install, to compare?
    You may find pics to compare on the Wall of shame and Wall of pride just below jobs, there is a lot of stuff,, may take some time.

Post Likes
    [IMG][/IMG]The contractor in Bradenton who did the original job was Bacarr A/C and Heating, Inc.
    The contractor who did the new install is Totally Cool A/C, LLC.
    One pic of the new install is attached. I think??? the upload was different.

Post Likes
    That was the laugh I needed for today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in