Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total replacement - Need informed help

Post Likes

Total replacement - Need informed help

Location - Knoxville, TN
    One level - 1200 to 1400 sqft

Two days ago my AC unit died, tomorrow I have 5 installers coming for estimates. What I have (had) was an AC unit outside & an elertic furnace in the attic. The system is orginial (25 - 30 years old) so I am going with a total replacement.

I'm not a big fan of heat-pumps (never warm enought in the winter). So I am looking at replacing with the same type of system.

If I do go with a heat-pump would the ducks need resizing?

After I get the estimates I will add this with more information or what information do I need to supply?

Tia

Post Likes
    I would make sure that you scedual the sales guys so they are not tripping over each other. Makes things hard. DO NOT show them each others estimates, or ask about what the other guy said. Wait until you get all the quotes side by side then come back here. Brand is not as important as a good install.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tango View Post
    tomorrow I have 5 installers coming for estimates.
    Tia
    So your price shopping ha? no matter what we say if you have 5 companies coming for estimates you are probably looking for the best deal not the best install or equipment, JMO.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    I would make sure that you scedual the sales guys so they are not tripping over each other. Makes things hard. DO NOT show them each others estimates, or ask about what the other guy said. Wait until you get all the quotes side by side then come back here. Brand is not as important as a good install.
    Just what I was going to say (about insufficient timing).

I hope they don't come in company-identified vehicles. Might be a little embarrasing.

AM

Post Likes
    ducts should be ok

Post Likes
    Am I "price shopping" - It matters but NO, different dealers, different brands, and I am assuming different suggestions. I have setup the installers to come at 2 hour intervals.

I seldom ever go with the lowest estimate - prefer to do it correctly and only have to do it once.

Post Likes
    and I am assuming different suggestions.
    No assumption needed different suggestions are pretty much a given in this business.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Your ductwork may or may not be sized correctly for a heat pump.
    Newer heat pumps have a higher air temp then the old ones did.

Post Likes
    Twilli says only 5?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Just what I was going to say (about insufficient timing).

I hope they don't come in company-identified vehicles. Might be a little embarrasing.

AM
    I left a sales call once and there was five other guys waiting behind me to give a pitch.

I looked at my schedule and discovered that the guy I just left had made four appointments that day with us. One for each number in our ad.

Sure hope the OP didn't pull on of those .

Post Likes

Hybrid ~ Heat

That is a fancy word for Duel/Fuel system.

Carrier Hybrid heat uses a gas furnace with heat pump that keeps indoor temperature comfortable down to 25* outdoors , then gas furnace comes on and supplements heat after that set-point.

Check it out you might be surprised at the newer systems and the heat that they produce vs old style heat pumps..

Just an opinion: Carrier Factory Rep..
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes

Hmm What is Warm Enough? 100 110 120'F

Location - Knoxville, TN
    One level - 1200 to 1400 sqft

I'm not a big fan of heat-pumps (never warm enough in the winter).
    ... Tia
    Dual Fuel system (gas furnace + heat pump) would be the best operating cost and comfort option in TN with low electric rates and relatively mild winter temperatures.

Air should be warm enough > 80% of the time with the heat pump.
    "Warm enough" should also address the low winter relative humidity.

Switchover to the gas furnace can be set to your wishes.

... ... Curiously, ...
    Why don't people frequently mention that the A/C air is not cool enough in the summer ?

What is Cool Enough supply air from the HomeOwner's perspective?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

No Gas

Gas is not an option - Unless I want to pay the local utility company to run a line down the street to my address (over $10,000).

Just had a little bit of sticker shock on the first estimate - Will post all estimate information this evening after I get them all.

Post Likes
    Gas is not an option - Unless I want to pay the local utility company to run a line down the street to my address (over $10,000).

Just had a little bit of sticker shock on the first estimate - Will post all estimate information this evening after I get them all.
    Dang. How far do you live from the pipeline?

Post Likes

First set of infomation

Well here we go:
    1. 2 ton Trane XL15i (single stage) w/variable speed air handler.
    2. 2 ton Trane XL16i (2 stage) w/variable speed air handler.
    3. 2 ton Goodman SSZ14 w/variable speed air handler.
    4. 2 ton Goodman SSZ16 w/variable speed air handler.
    All the above include Programmabls thermostat, Labor, & Materials
    ---------------------------------------
    The one below was the only one that included replacing the refrigerant piping in the quote. The first guy never said anything about it, which is a minus to me.
    5. Rheem Prestige Series Heat Pump
    RPNL-024JEZ (2 ton, 13 seer, 8.5 hspf)
    RHSL-HM2417JA
    RXBH-17A10J

Options:
    Aprilaire Air Cleaner (M# 2200)
    VisionPRO 8000 Prog/Therm
    RHLL-HM2417JA Air Handler (2 ton 14 seer, 8.9 hspf) [

Reem Prestige Series 2 Stage Heatpump w/Var/Speed air handler & VisionPro 8000 - RPRL-024JEZ, RHPL-HM2421JA, RXBH-24A10J (2 ton, 17 seer, 9.5 hspf)
    ----------------------------------------
    The third guy left a mess of chicken scratching that I can't read - not a good indication of how he does business. So I can't list it since I can't read it.

The fourth guy is going to chack prices and get back with me. He was big on Nortek (not sure of the spelling). He also wanted to run two or three additional ducts.
    Last edited by The_Tango; 06-09-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Post Likes
    Might want to read site rules....No pricing

Post Likes
    It is against forum rules to post prices. please remove.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    It is against forum rules to post prices. please remove.
    How can he remove pricing. He's manning the revolving door for the estimates.

Post Likes

Sorry about pricing

Sorry - I have removed the pricing.

What I would like is help on systems. Do I need a 1 or 2 stage, Variable speed or not, ect. How do I get a sense of a company unless I have them over and talk to them? And what is the best for my needs.

The installers don't seem to have a problem with me getting estimates from other dealers. Am I to assume that everyone here goes to the store to buy a wigit and doesn't look at the price. Or takes a car to a shop and says fix the brakes, and I don't care what it cost.

Post Likes
    The installers don't seem to have a problem with me getting estimates from other dealers. Am I to assume that everyone here goes to the store to buy a wigit and doesn't look at the price. Or takes a car to a shop and says fix the brakes, and I don't care what it cost.
    Nope. Everybody wants to know price before they buy something.

But i think with the amount of guys you have lined up the guys here might
    be remembering those sales calls they have been on where guys are literally lined up out the door waiting they're turn to make a presentation.

Personally I think you are just going to to confuse yourself the more people you talk to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in